Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 09:30 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,929,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
The bible passage refers to sanctimonious folks.

BTW, there are ministers and elders in your denomination. Organizations need leaders and that does not imply superiority of one person above another.
AND no need for titles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2014, 09:47 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,350,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
AND no need for titles.
Yeah, make sure your kids call their teachers by their first name. "Call no one teacher".

Old 04-30-2014, 11:33 PM

When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me.

Things that are appropriate for a child are not necessarily appropriate for an adult. Are you an adullt?

Old 05-01-2014, 08:52 AM

Quote:
When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me.

Things that are appropriate for a child are not necessarily appropriate for an adult. Are you an adullt?

You continue to reply with riddles. A sign of losing the battle in an argument. I will let you live, don't worry.

Old 05-01-2014, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Julian, read the whole passage and figure out that the reason for the point being made is that men tend to DO that and we should not do anything to encourage it OR to indicate that we are inferior to people who claim special status.

Saying that it only applies to people who are being sanctimonious is at best ingenuous, it is about our attitudes.
Quote:
Yeah, make sure your kids call their teachers by their first name. "Call no one teacher".
Quote:

Quote:
You continue to reply with riddles. A sign of losing the battle in an argument. I will let you live, don't worry.
Let's see if you can actually figure it out when the whole point is laid out for you in sequece to ponder over. It was not intended as a riddle, but I guess anything that confounds their authority instilled preconceptions is a riddle to some.

Last edited by nateswift; 05-01-2014 at 03:34 PM.. Reason: inserting the original post for greater clarity

Old 05-01-2014, 04:45 PM

15 posts, read 11,969 times
Quote:

What you learn as an child...you carry on as an adult...if you were raised correctly and taught to respect authority, that is.

Old 05-01-2014, 04:47 PM

15 posts, read 11,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
The key to understanding comes from the Spirit.
But the Bible also says to test the spirits to ascertain which is from God and which is not.

from 1John 4..... Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world…………..6 We are from God, and whoever knows God listens to us; but whoever is not from God does not listen to us. This is how we recognize the Spirit[a] of truth and the spirit of falsehood.

Old 05-01-2014, 06:48 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,376,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inhinyero View Post
But the Bible also says to test the spirits to ascertain which is from God and which is not.

from 1John 4..... Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world…………..6 We are from God, and whoever knows God listens to us; but whoever is not from God does not listen to us. This is how we recognize the Spirit[a] of truth and the spirit of falsehood.
Then you should listen to the Spirit of truth that resides within; and test it against your own.

Old 05-01-2014, 06:50 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,412,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Then you should listen to the Spirit of truth that resides within; and test it against your own.
Do you see the contradiction?

Old 05-01-2014, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Let's see if you can actually figure it out when the whole point is laid out for you in sequece to ponder over. It was not intended as a riddle, but I guess anything that confounds their authority instilled preconceptions is a riddle to some.
Your point is weak because the term father is used in the NT.

It is clear Jesus was talking about sanctimonious people. You call it an attitude, whci is basically more or less the same thing. You are on the ropes, but i will back off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity