Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What body for the resurrection?
Physical body comes out of the ground 7 29.17%
New spiritual body 13 54.17%
Other - explain via post 4 16.67%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 10:52 PM

11,897 posts, read 3,699,863 times

Advertisements

Interested in what people think about this.

Who believes that the resurrection is physical bodies coming out of graves?

What happens to those bodies that have been cremated?

Jesus body had not decayed and his physical body was glorified. Will our bodies be recreated first then glorified or will we get a new body?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2008, 10:18 AM

3,162 posts, read 11,436,860 times
I believe that a new body is created.

A Christ has full awareness of the oniric nature of creation, and of his unity with the father, he knows that his consciousness is one with the Christ consciousness, ever present in creation which exists without the need of a physical body, and because of this unity, he can guide the holy spirit by his will.

Using this power he can easily arrange the atomic structure needed to create a new body.

Old 07-30-2008, 10:56 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,233,536 times
Since I do not believe in an afterlife believing in a (physical) resurrection would be pointless.

Old 07-31-2008, 08:33 AM

23,016 posts, read 34,383,749 times
I think you will find your answer if you read 1 Corinthians 15:35-56. Too long to post here.
I believe God will give us a transformed eternal body suited to our new eternal life.

Last edited by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA; 07-31-2008 at 08:34 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 07-31-2008, 09:52 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,444,374 times
My own personal belief is that at the second of our death, the Angels take our souls/spirits to be with the Lord. Since God created our bodies to begin with, I believe he has the power to gather up our ashes or decaying remnants of our old bodies and make them rise again. That's when I believe he will give us the new eternal upgrade.

Old 08-01-2008, 08:51 AM

1,897 posts, read 3,492,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
My own personal belief is that at the second of our death, the Angels take our souls/spirits to be with the Lord. Since God created our bodies to begin with, I believe he has the power to gather up our ashes or decaying remnants of our old bodies and make them rise again. That's when I believe he will give us the new eternal upgrade.
Scripture?

Preterist

Old 08-01-2008, 12:52 PM

Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean. Are you asking me why I believe this? It has to do with a few different verses in the Bible. One of them is when Jesus told the murderer on the cross, "Today you shall be with me in Paradise." That tells me that we immediately go to Heaven.

We already know that the bodies of our loved ones aren't in Heaven now so that tells me that our Spirit/Soul is what goes there. There also is a Ressurection of the body which tells me that our soul and body will again be re-united just as Jesus' soul was re-united with his body. Our bodies are going to be made "Like unto the Glorious body of Christ" which again tells me that they won't be these dingy, sick things we have to live in now.

Old 08-01-2008, 02:23 PM

1,897 posts, read 3,492,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean. Are you asking me why I believe this? It has to do with a few different verses in the Bible. One of them is when Jesus told the murderer on the cross, "Today you shall be with me in Paradise." That tells me that we immediately go to Heaven.

We already know that the bodies of our loved ones aren't in Heaven now so that tells me that our Spirit/Soul is what goes there. There also is a Ressurection of the body which tells me that our soul and body will again be re-united just as Jesus' soul was re-united with his body. Our bodies are going to be made "Like unto the Glorious body of Christ" which again tells me that they won't be these dingy, sick things we have to live in now.
Hi, Jammie: What resurrection of the body? What scripture are you using to support that? Furthermore, Paradise is not heaven! Paradise is Hades (OT Sheol) where the OT saints "slept" after death and waited for the atonement and the newness of life in Christ and the wicked waited for eternal punishment. See Luke 16 and Lazarus who died and was seen in the bosom of Abraham. Since Christ died, was buried, rose again, and brought complete salvation at His "coming" in judgment in A. D. 70, all believers now go immediately into His presence.

There is no bodily resurrection in 1 Corinthians 15, if that is the passage upon which you are placing your beliefs. Our bodies are dust--they return to the dust because we are all of Adam, the "man of dust" (1 Cor. 15:48) Flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God. All in Adam "HAVE BORNE the image of the man of dust; but in Christ, "bear the image of the heavenly Man." The "resurrections" that occurred after Christ's resurrection are better described as resuscitations--those people died again and their bodies suffered decay!

The body is "sown a natural body (made of dust), it is raised a spiritual body" in the image of Christ's. "There is a natural [made of dust] body, and there is a spiritual body."

In case there was any confusion, Paul preferenced his comment with "Now this I say, [listen carefully] brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; nor does corruption inherit incorruption" (1 Cor. 15:50).

Notice that Paul is speaking concerning himself and his fellow first-century believers. THEY were looking forward to this change happening to them personally. This is what is meant when Paul told them earlier--"now salvation is nearer than when we believed. The night is almost gone, and the day is AT HAND" (Romans 13:11-12).

Even Jesus told His disciples standing right before Him that when they saw the signs of His coming begin to happen, they personally were to "look up and lift up YOUR heads, because YOUR redemption draws NEAR" (Luke 21:28).

What redemption? Weren't they already saved? Yes! But they were still in the same condition as those who waited or "slept" in Hades. It was those who slept who would be raised first at His coming in judgment in A. D. 70--they would be first to be given their "resurrection" bodies fitted for heaven. Then those who were alive at the time (i.e. all first-century, pre-A. D. 70 living saints) would be united with them in the sense that they too were now fitted for heaven and at death would not suffer separation from the Lord but would go immediately into His presence. This is the resurrection. Not decayed bodies popping up out of their graves or ashes scattered on the wind being regathered, or body parts consumed and digested by prey being re-created and re-assembled!

To deny the erroneous teaching concerning our physical bodies is not a denial of the resurrection as some falsely accuse. It is the biblical teaching concerning the resurrection.

I ask you this (and I once had to ask myself)--why do you believe what you believe about the resurrection? Have you studied it thoroughly yourself or do you rely for the most part on the teachings of your church, you pastor, or your particular denomination. We must all know for ourselves what we believe and why we believe it.

Preterist

Old 08-01-2008, 03:59 PM

Thank you, Preterist. You are much more well spoken then I am where theology is concerned. I'd just like you and the person who DM-ed me to know that I had fervently studied religion in my younger days. I could quote Scripture and find a verse as fast as you could blink. But this is what happened to me~my brain got in the way of my Salvation. I searched every small thing and made a big deal out of it. I basically had no relationship with God because I was more concerned about every minute detail. My spirituality was suffering for it. I had scheduled times of prayer~more like a ritual then a loving relationship with God. Now I'm much more relaxed and sometimes just talk to God instead of trying to force things. I'm much more comfortable with it and I think He is, too. I now WANT to spend time with Him rather then HAVE to because it's 6 pm or 6 am.

I stand by my feelings and you are always welcome to have your own. There is always Scripture that can be found to refute the beliefs of others if that is what someone chooses to do. If not in the Bible, there are always books that will support your feelings.

A question was asked. I answered it as to how I feel and I'm now sorry that I didn't keep my personal beliefs to myself.

But I do thank you for your time and your enlightenment.

Old 08-01-2008, 04:24 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,509,987 times
The OP was interested in what people think.Scripture was not asked for..Jammie answered the op as she stated, it was her own personal belief..I admire her for being so gracious in not wanting to debate her personal belief..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity