Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 10:39 AM

5,925 posts, read 6,948,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
Legoman asked, I see no such scripture where isn't everywhere. I gave a verse. what does time had to with it?

It's all related, what Jesus felt has no relationship to the absence of God.

We have all been unbelievers or even in unbelief of a particular issue, none of that means God was not there, only that we did not perceive him. But if he was absent, then we wouldn't have come to believe in any capacity.

If God was actually absent from Jesus, then Jesus crucifixion would just been another day and another dead body to dispose of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2009, 10:50 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,568,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
It's all related, what Jesus felt has no relationship to the absence of God.

We have all been unbelievers or even in unbelief of a particular issue, none of that means God was not there, only that we did not perceive him. But if he was absent, then we wouldn't have come to believe in any capacity.

If God was actually absent from Jesus, then Jesus crucifixion would just been another day and another dead body to dispose of.
We believe God was there but at some time God couldn't look at Jesus anymore and in a sense "turned His back" to Him rresulting in Jesus to cry out, that God is too pure to look upon evil. Therefore, it is possible that when Jesus bore our sins in His body on the cross that the Father, spiritually, turned away.

Old 09-28-2009, 10:59 AM

6,657 posts, read 8,131,209 times
Quote:
and that's fine if you want to believe that but Legoman said,

Eternal "separation" is a myth folks. Own up to this at least. God is OMNISCIENT, He is everywhere.

I am defending my position that this is not something we made up, that I have scripture to back it up. However you want to interpret it is up to you.
The only problem is you haven't provided any scripture that says God is not everywhere, nor that says "hell" is "eternal separation".

BTW I think I meant OMNIPRESENT in my original statement, but the point still holds.

Old 09-28-2009, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
The only problem is you haven't provided any scripture that says God is not everywhere, nor that says "hell" is "eternal separation".

BTW I think I meant OMNIPRESENT in my original statement, but the point still holds.
I don't have to prove. You are the one who asked, I gave.

Old 09-28-2009, 11:16 AM

5,925 posts, read 6,948,010 times
Quote:
We believe God was there but at some time God couldn't look at Jesus anymore and in a sense "turned His back" to Him rresulting in Jesus to cry out, that God is too pure to look upon evil. Therefore, it is possible that when Jesus bore our sins in His body on the cross that the Father, spiritually, turned away.

God was there, The above is the depiction of a man, who is limited. God is entirely unaffected by evil, so it's not a matter of seeing this as a man with eyes, it is seeing it as a spirit completely void of any effect of evil, but God created us all, so as evil as any one can become, there is still what God created there.

Hb 5:8 Though he were a Son, yet learned he obedience by the things which he suffered;

God is always there, he never gives up.

Old 09-28-2009, 01:00 PM

40 posts, read 43,146 times
Quote:
DING!! DING!! DING!! You hit the nail on the perverbial head. That is hell. We will have bodies in hell with the same wants and needs but no grace of God. Your hungry? too bad God's grace isn't there to provide the food, You thirsty? too bad God's grace isn't there to provide water....can't even get stable footing because God isn't there to provide a stable ground.
Do you realize that you have just described non-existence? Nothing can exist without God, don't you agree? If it could, then God didn't create the whole universe, only the good part. Then where did the bad part come from? If it created itself the God is not the single creator of the universe.

You understand that you cannot exist in the presence of God, and still have sin. You also understand that Godliness cannot inhabit hell. In a perfectly divided world there is only good and bad, black and white. What you fail to see is this: If a man is to be reconciled ETERNALLY to a Godless environment, then he, too, must be void of all righteousness, Godliness, etc. And if a man is completely void of God, then he must be at harmony with his surroundings. In essence, hell would be his heaven. If a man is purely wicked and exists in a wicked environment, he would enjoy that environment, would he not?
But we know that no one likes hell! Why not? If there is tension in hell, it can only come from opposing forces. The same way that God hates sin, beings that belong to hell must hate what is good and righteous, but if we are in hell and have needs pertaining to righteousness, we are not so void of goodness, or God, as you assert. Any part of a man that does not enjoy hell must pertain to goodness, and therefore God. And what does the Bible tell us over and over using images, metaphors, parables? In the end, God, goodness, love, and righteousness will triumph.

..And something else: Look back to the creation of the first Man. What was it that made Adam a living soul? Was it not the breath of God? Therefore how is anything LIVING (needing water, food, shelter etc) in the complete absence of this element?

Last edited by Truthseeker777; 09-28-2009 at 01:17 PM..

Old 09-28-2009, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truthseeker777 View Post
Do you realize that you have just described non-existence? Nothing can exist without God, don't you agree? If it could, then God didn't create the whole universe, only the good part. Then where did the bad part come from? If it created itself the God is not the single creator of the universe.

You understand that you cannot exist in the presence of God, and still have sin. You also understand that Godliness cannot inhabit hell. In a perfectly divided world there is only good and bad, black and white. What you fail to see is this: If a man is to be reconciled ETERNALLY to a Godless environment, then he, too, must be void of all righteousness, Godliness, etc. And if a man is completely void of God, then he must be at harmony with his surroundings. In essence, hell would be his heaven. If a man is purely wicked and exists in a wicked environment, he would enjoy that environment, would he not?
But we know that no one likes hell! Why not? If there is tension in hell, it can only come from opposing forces. The same way that God hates sin, beings that belong to hell must hate what is good and righteous, but if we are in hell and have needs pertaining to righteousness, we are not so void of goodness, or God, as you assert. Any part of a man that does not enjoy hell must pertain to goodness, and therefore God. And what does the Bible tell us over and over using images, metaphors, parables? In the end, God, goodness, love, and righteousness will triumph.

..And something else: Look back to the creation of the first Man. What was it that mad Adam a living soul? Was it not the breath of God? Therefore how is anything LIVING (needing water, food, shelter etc) in the complete absence of this element?
Being hungry is non existence??????????????? Bad things or evil is the absense of God.

Old 09-28-2009, 01:19 PM

Quote:
?? Bad things or evil is the absense of God.
Exactly. Then if you are completely void of God, you have no desire, no HUNGER for him or his grace. And if you are completely void of God, you cannot still have the breath of God, which is the definition of life according to scripture. So yes. If you are completely void of God then you do not exist. According to your logic, God is the only thing that exists.- therefore everything in his absence must be non-existent.

Last edited by Truthseeker777; 09-28-2009 at 01:35 PM..

Old 09-30-2009, 09:43 PM

"For thou didst create ALL things; by THY WILL they existed and were created"
-Revelations 5:11

What is the will of God?

"I form the light and create darkness: I make peace, and CREATE EVIL; I the LORD do ALL these things."
-Isaiah 45:7

So.. If all doesn't mean all... it must be that these things existing outside of "all" weren't created by God, meaning.... what then?

Old 10-01-2009, 07:30 AM

3,067 posts, read 4,104,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
Does anyone here actually think torture is a good thing?

And of course the followup question:

Is eternal torture a good thing?
One mans torture is another man's justice.

EXAMPLE:
They sent a guy to jail here in my town for murder.
The guy will spend the rest of his life in jail.

Is this a good thing?
From his point of view, I bet it's clearly not a good thing.
From his point of view I would say that he thinks it's an evil torture.

However there is a strong case to be made that sending him away to jail forever is a form of justice for his crime.

I will not shed a tear when they drag him away to jail for the rest of his life.
People that rape and kill a little girl should get what they deserve.

no tears here for him,....
AND no problem here with the sentence he received, even if some bleeding hearts call such a sentence "torture"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity