Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 07:22 PM

84 posts, read 282,878 times

Advertisements

There are many churches that take the stand that a person who receives Jesus Christ into their life as their Lord and Savior is saved for their lifetime. Thereafter, if they willfully turn their back on the Lord, they are said to be in a state of "Backsliding"--But they have not lost their salvation. One Church that takes this position is the Baptist Church (and perhaps the Church of Christ?).

Other Churches take the stand that although a person may receive Jesus Christ into their lives as their Lord and Savior, they may thereafter turn their back on the Lord and be in jeopardy of losing their salvation. Some Churches that take this position are the Pentecostal Church, the Catholic Church, and the Assemblies of God.

What is your position? Additionally, what would you say to a person you knew received Jesus as their Lord and Savior, but are willfully sinning and turning their back on the Lord? Would you counsel them to come back to serving Jesus because it is the right thing for a Christian to do, or would you counsel them to come back to serving Jesus because they may lose eternal salvation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2009, 07:34 PM

23,015 posts, read 34,381,249 times
My answer is still the same as it was in all the other threads on this subject. No, according to the Bible,you cannot lose your salvation. 1 John 5:13 "I write this to you who believe in the Son of God so that you may know you have eternal life".

Old 03-30-2009, 07:34 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,622,031 times
Boy do I have some threads for you.............

Once Saved Always Saved

"Once saved always saved" my little spin story

Poll: Do you Christians believe in Once Saved Always Saved?

Once Saved, Always Saved? Reality or Fantasy?

Once Saved Always Saved - right or wrong?

Once Saved Always Saved?????

......to name a few. Happy reading!!

Old 03-30-2009, 07:41 PM

1,491 posts, read 3,116,487 times
What happens if a person goes so far over to the other side as to deny Jesus and sell their soul to the devil? I realize this may be an extreme scenario but it could happen, right? (Let's pray no one has ever gone that deep though)

Old 03-30-2009, 07:45 PM

23,015 posts, read 34,381,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlemur View Post
What happens if a person goes so far over to the other side as to deny Jesus and sell their soul to the devil? I realize this may be an extreme scenario but it could happen, right? (Let's pray no one has ever gone that deep though)
That person was not saved in the first place.

Old 03-30-2009, 08:39 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,491,540 times
Jesus said in the sower and the seed:

Matthew 13:21
"But since he has no root, he lasts only a short time. When trouble or persecution comes because of the word, he quickly falls away."

1 Corinthians 10:12
So, if you think you are standing firm, be careful that you don't fall!

Galatians 5:4
"You who are trying to be justified by law have been alienated from Christ; you have fallen away from grace."

Hebrews 5:11[ Warning Against Falling Away ] We have much to say about this, but it is hard to explain because you are slow to learn.

2 Peter 3:17
Therefore, dear friends, since you already know this, be on your guard so that you may not becarried away by the error of lawless men and fall from your secure position.

The warning about falling away is real, it happens. These warning would not be in the Bible, spoken by Jesus who is the truth, written by inspiration if it were not possible.

Old 03-30-2009, 09:57 PM

2,529 posts, read 4,351,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSooner View Post
There are many churches that take the stand that a person who receives Jesus Christ into their life as their Lord and Savior is saved for their lifetime. Thereafter, if they willfully turn their back on the Lord, they are said to be in a state of "Backsliding"--But they have not lost their salvation. One Church that takes this position is the Baptist Church (and perhaps the Church of Christ?).

Other Churches take the stand that although a person may receive Jesus Christ into their lives as their Lord and Savior, they may thereafter turn their back on the Lord and be in jeopardy of losing their salvation. Some Churches that take this position are the Pentecostal Church, the Catholic Church, and the Assemblies of God.

What is your position? Additionally, what would you say to a person you knew received Jesus as their Lord and Savior, but are willfully sinning and turning their back on the Lord? Would you counsel them to come back to serving Jesus because it is the right thing for a Christian to do, or would you counsel them to come back to serving Jesus because they may lose eternal salvation?
Nope, the church of Christ does not teach once saved always saved.

Old 03-31-2009, 05:51 AM

381 posts, read 798,876 times
one of the problems with this question ( no offense) is it implies all somebody has to do is recite a short prayer at the urging of a pastor. Scripture says something else. Jesus in matthew 11 says so. Jesus says NO one can come to the father but by me and the father has to draw that person to Him. He is always seeking us. Jesus points the way.

rebirth occurs spirutally when someone turns away from past sinful behavior and starts walking with jesus. hebrews 10:26 confirms this. you cannot crucify Jesus over and over again. it is not possible. the backsliding behavior you refer is simply proof that the person still has a veil over them, walks in darkness and has not faith because:

"faith comes by hearing the word of the Lord." faith is the substance of things not seen. the evidence of things hoped for.

I would submit the backslider has no prayer life or reads their bible, otherwise God would be performing a work in their life.

How could one continue to backslide and walk in faith having a blessed hope? it makes no sense on it face . it is totally illogical.

My short answer here leaves out many other salient points, but these few thoughts address at least a component of your debate.

Old 03-31-2009, 06:05 AM

2,339 posts, read 4,401,502 times
In the UPC church, which I am no longer part of, it was a process. First belief, repent, baptized in Jesus name (the other way is wrong and you are NOT saved if not baptized the RIGHT way), and filled with the spirit with evidence of speaking in tongues. According to them this is the only way you know you are saved. And they believe you can fall away and come back as many times as necessary but the in between times you are not saved. I see no where in scripture that says you can come and go but It still says "I will NEVER leave you or forsake you..." No strings attatched. That's how it seems to me though. Oh and I do not believe the UPC doctrine!

Old 03-31-2009, 06:16 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,564,901 times
I am a firm believer in "once saved always saved" but some have it backwards. We are not saved because we think or say we are. It's not enough for us to know Jesus, Jesus must know us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity