Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 11:56 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,577,165 times

Advertisements

I think people see these illegal immigrants as criminal low-lifes and they feel it gives them the right to inflict harm on them since they see them as a worthless dreg of society.We should pray for both parties as they are in need of a Saviour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2009, 12:11 AM

8,435 posts, read 10,530,305 times
It seems like if you really look at it.. they are stuck between a rock and a hard place. Usually they come into the country looking for work because they will make more money here.. Some send home money to support their family and then have to support themselves here as well. Where then do they come up with the $1350 extra dollars to become a citizen and who knows how much to be educated about U.S. history and government (I probably wouldn't pass! I thank the Lord I was born here!) and to learn to speak, read, and write well enough (they say basic English but what is basic about history and government?) to complete the test in English.

Now granted some are not like this but if the guy is working as a janitor and feels the need to keep working even though beat up.. (and if that is not an exaggeration) then I would suppose he is similar to the above example.

The other problem is that you will be denied citizenship if any of these apply to you:
  1. You have been convicted of a crime.
  2. You have ever lied to an immigration officer, consular official, or government official.
  3. You married solely to obtain residency status.
  4. Since becoming a lawful permanent resident, you have been absent from the United States for long periods of time, especially periods over one year.
  5. You have ever been arrested.
  6. You failed to file an income tax return for any year since becoming a lawful permanent resident.
  7. You owe child support
Notice how 1 & 5 are really saying you can't have been accused (thus arrested) as well...

I just don't see what choice they have in some cases...

Old 11-12-2009, 04:18 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,724,589 times
Will I get into legal trouble, if I help cover his medical expenses, given that he is an illegal immigrant? I have been having these thoughts the last 2 days, I know where to find him, but I don't want to run into trouble, given that I myself am in the final stages of obtaining citizenship.

Old 11-12-2009, 04:24 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,568,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antlered chamataka View Post
i came across a hate crime victim tonight.

He's a poor 30-something guy who makes his living cleaning in several places. He was beaten up so bad that there's bleeding in the white part of his eyes, and his face was pretty disfigured and i saw him back to his cleaning chore to make whatever amount he needs to make tonight.

And he's an illegal immigrant. And in all my time here, i have overheard people, even devout christians, filled with unfathomable hatred for these folks. They even joke about how these guys deserve to die in the deserts/ dry wastelands across the us border, as they try to infiltrate.

He does not speak a lot of english. I had another cleaner who speaks struggling english translate and he obviously does not have insurance and his med expenses would be higher than usual.

Quite disturbing
sin!

Old 11-12-2009, 04:26 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,568,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
Will I get into legal trouble, if I help cover his medical expenses, given that he is an illegal immigrant? I have been having these thoughts the last 2 days, I know where to find him, but I don't want to run into trouble, given that I myself am in the final stages of obtaining citizenship.
You should find that out and then pray about it. Ask the Holy Spirit if it is ok to help this man if it is breaking the law, that's if it is illegal.

Old 11-12-2009, 04:31 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,461,151 times
Quote:
I've been through the whole Green Card process with my wife and it was an exhausting, aggravating and trying process. After going through it, my opinion flipped in the completely opposite direction of how I normally felt about illegal aliens. We had money, we had all the necessary paperwork and I was in the U.S. Military when we went through it and we still had a hell of a time getting it all done. It's an absolute pain as I'm sure you're well aware if you're seeking to obtain citizenship.

That aside, as far as your question goes, I don't think you can get in trouble for helping to cover his medical expenses. When you think about it, something would really have to go awry in the first place for that suspicion to be raised. Even if some extenuating circumstances cropped up where you were questioned about it, you could always plead ignorant and stupid.

"Gee, I didn't know the guy was an illegal immigrant. I just knew he had janitorial wages, he'd been beat up, didn't have a lot of money, and I thought I could help. His resident status was the furthest thing from my mind because all I saw was a guy in need."

Then, if you want to be a real smart-ass you could say:

"Besides, it's not my job to figure out whose illegal and whose legal. Isn't that why you have a job?"

Of course, that last part probably depends on how badly you want your U.S. Citizenship.

Old 11-12-2009, 04:57 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,724,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
I've been through the whole Green Card process with my wife and it was an exhausting, aggravating and trying process. After going through it, my opinion flipped in the completely opposite direction of how I normally felt about illegal aliens. We had money, we had all the necessary paperwork and I was in the U.S. Military when we went through it and we still had a hell of a time getting it all done. It's an absolute pain as I'm sure you're well aware if you're seeking to obtain citizenship.
Yeah, man

Money, effort and paperwork. But my employer's handling it, it's still annoying.

When it's all done, first thing I'll do is donate to the republican party LMAO. The conservative (read as hypocrite) population of the US is going up by ONE

But here's the deal, part of it trickles down to my suspicions. The case is pretty much genuine. But I'm also pretty much a "what if" scenario guy. What if it were a drug deal violence case. Last thing I want to be involved with is drug dealers. And the trail somehow catching up with me. It still looks pretty much genuine, coz he has no need to be a janitor and work like a dog if he does deals. Plus he is such an innocuous person and very soft. But I do have my doubts.

Old 11-12-2009, 05:03 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,193,501 times
Quote:
I believe we should always take the opportunity to be a good Samaritan. God will always bless you for doing the right thing....regardless of what society thinks.

Old 11-12-2009, 06:13 PM

4,346 posts, read 6,619,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
Yes very disturbing.. humans are humans.. for crying out loud!
What bothers me is that these same hate-filled people will try to save the whales or dolphins or trees.. Yikes!
Quote:
This is one of the key flaws with the conservative movement. Somewhere down the line they lost the traits of compassion.

Yes, you hit it right on the head. I know one such person who works with "humane society" a lot, and she yaps about how much cruelty there is towards animals. So passionate that she would have tears in her eyes.
Wow - I'm not getting this part at all. Aren't the "liberals" (those who generally support animal rights and protecting the earth etc.) also the ones (generally) more sympathetic to the plight of illegal aliens?

Old 11-12-2009, 06:39 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,341,500 times
Quote:
I came across a hate crime victim tonight.

He's a poor 30-something guy who makes his living cleaning in several places. He was beaten up so bad that there's bleeding in the white part of his eyes, and his face was pretty disfigured and I saw him back to his cleaning chore to make whatever amount he needs to make tonight.

And he's an illegal immigrant. And in all my time here, I have overheard people, even devout christians, filled with unfathomable hatred for these folks. They even joke about how these guys deserve to die in the deserts/ dry wastelands across the US border, as they try to infiltrate.

He does not speak a lot of english. I had another cleaner who speaks struggling english translate and he obviously does not have insurance and his med expenses would be higher than usual.

Quite disturbing
I agree. Very disturbing.

Social justice within any nation is a topic that involves many complex issues and questions. And some solutions may appear dispassionate.

But on the human and relational level, what you describe is at the least brutal, if not barbaric. And certainly not "christian"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity