Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2009, 10:38 PM

127 posts, read 149,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorgy1961 View Post
If that is wrong, where can I get the correct information?

Never mind, I found it. I forgot I had this.

The universalists do not believe in eternal punishment. Universalists teach that all will eventually be saved through the atonement of Jesus. Therefore, when the Bible speaks of eternal punishment and hell fire, etc., the universalist interprets it to mean an inner sorrow due to loss of reward and/or they maintain that the word "eternal" does not mean "without end."
In Greek, the word "eternal" is the word "aionion." This word occurs in two places in
Matt. 25:46: And these shall go away into eternal punishment: but the righteous into eternal life.

The exact same word "aionion" is used to describe the duration of punishment as well as of the life of the righteous - those who are saved. The same word describes both conditions. If it means one thing in the first part of this sentence, then it means the same thing in the second part since they are both in the same context and both are describing time-duration of the states of the unsaved and the saved. If the punishment is eternal, then so is the life. Likewise, if, as the universalist says, the punishment is not eternal, then neither is the life. You can't pick and choose
how the word is applied in this verse to suit your own theology. But the universalists do just that. They are want to have Jesus say that eternal life is forever but eternal punishment is not -- even though Jesus used the same word, in the same breath, to describe them both. It just doesn't fit.

CARM – Christian Apologetics & Research Ministry
Christian Apologetics Notebook
Volumes 1 - 5
Page 592
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2009, 10:51 PM

1,711 posts, read 1,902,973 times
Quote:
The exact same word "aionion" is used to describe the duration of punishment as well as of the life of the righteous - those who are saved.
His preconceived notion is that aionios describes a specific duration either
a) infinite duration
b) finite duration

This notion is refuted by scripture which applies aionios to both everlasting and non-everlasting nouns.

Old 12-03-2009, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thy Kingdom Come View Post
His preconceived notion is that aionios describes a specific duration either
a) infinite duration
b) finite duration

This notion is refuted by scripture which applies aionios to both everlasting and non-everlasting nouns.

Quote:
The same word describes both conditions. If it means one thing in the first part of this sentence, then it means the same thing in the second part since they are both in the same context and both are describing time-duration of the states of the unsaved and the saved. If the punishment is eternal, then so is the life. Likewise, if, as the universalist says, the punishment is not eternal, then neither is the life. You can't pick and choose
Could you please explain how the word is used differently in the same verse?

Old 12-03-2009, 11:12 PM

1,711 posts, read 1,902,973 times
Quote:
I don't believe it is used differently in the same verse. I don't belieive it is describing the duration of either life or punishment. One group of people (faithful followers of Christ) will live and reign with Christ in the ages to come (called aionion life) and judge the world. The other group is judged and bears shame during those ages (aionion contempt).

Old 12-03-2009, 11:19 PM

11,897 posts, read 3,699,863 times
Quote:
Jorgy,

Whn we get to Revelation we see that the 1st resurrection is at the start of the 1000 years and the resurrection of the dead is at the end of the thousand years so the durations are not the same.

Those in the 1st resurrection are not hurt of the second death.

Also see 1 Cor 15 when it describes what resurrection is ----

1Co 15:35 But some man will say, How are the dead raised up? and with what body do they come?
1Co 15:36 Thou fool, that which thou sowest is not quickened, except it die:

1Co 15:42 So also is the resurrection of the dead. It is sown in corruption; it is raised in incorruption:
1Co 15:43 It is sown in dishonour; it is raised in glory: it is sown in weakness; it is raised in power:
1Co 15:44 It is sown a natural body; it is raised a spiritual body. There is a natural body, and there is a spiritual body.
1Co 15:45 And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening spirit.

Old 12-03-2009, 11:47 PM

1,837 posts, read 4,149,648 times
He isn't getting argumentative but frustrated because just like Jesus...legalism is annoying. Personally I believe that this argument is really ridiculous. For those people who come here to check out what Christianity is all about this is a sad display of a Christian testimony and witness.

We shouldn't be fighting over keeping or losing Salvation but we should be using our time better. Helping the poor, visiting the sick and those in prison. Don't we have anything better to do than fight about the security of Salvation?. We wouldn't have to worry about it if we were truly walking in the Spirit...Right?? Lets focus on obedience and walking the way we are supposed to walk starting with Love for our fellow Brothers and Sisters. Shame on you guys....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzjamiedawn View Post
You obviously aren't listening to anything I've said. I take it if you state something, and someone doesn't agree with YOUR interpretation of it, and debate you, they then must be ignorant and argumentative.

Therefore you're right. There is no reason to go further with our discussion, or me commenting to anything else you stated above, no matter how incorrect you are.

I will, however, always state what I believe the word of God to say, whether or not Mike believes it.

Old 12-04-2009, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thy Kingdom Come View Post
I don't believe it is used differently in the same verse. I don't belieive it is describing the duration of either life or punishment. One group of people (faithful followers of Christ) will live and reign with Christ in the ages to come (called aionion life) and judge the world. The other group is judged and bears shame during those ages (aionion contempt).

So do you think the word is being used the same way back in chapter 19?

Mat 19:16 And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?

Old 12-04-2009, 03:49 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,293,297 times
Quote:

There is no security in what God does, but there is a lot of security in “who he is”
This i can agree with.

The thing is Jorgy we actually are what we think we are and do what we think we are . As a man thinks in his heart so is He .

Last edited by pcamps; 12-04-2009 at 04:10 AM..

Old 12-04-2009, 04:23 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,698,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jorgy1961

There is no security in what God does, but there is a lot of security in “who he is”

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
This i can agree with.

The thing is Jorgy we actually are what we think we are and do what we think we are . As a man thinks in his heart so is He .

How can one have a lot of security in who God is.....and then say in the beginning of the very same sentence that there is no security in what God does?

That makes absolutely no sense at all! Because if one knows who God is..... they are definitely secure and trust in what He does.....

Old 12-04-2009, 04:33 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,293,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latte'Chic View Post

How can one have a lot of security in who God is.....and then say in the beginning of the very same sentence that there is no security in what God does?

That makes absolutely no sense at all! Because if one knows who God is..... they are definitely secure and trust in what He does.....
Latte When we discover who God really is , then you will understand what He as done.

When you know He is God by nature and character then you understand what He as done .

He is the Savior of ALL and He proved that to the world by what He has done.

He is the way the Truth and the Life , He is the Good Shepherd , He is the Bread of Life , He is the Lamb of God , He is Lord , He is the Bright Morning Star.

Hope this helps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity