Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2009, 08:38 AM

127 posts, read 149,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
I posted the link at 7:29 a.m, you posted your reply at 7:33 a.m. Considering that it was probably at least a few moments before you went into the website, assuming you even did, and considering the length of it,you had considerably less than 4 minutes to view that link. In other words, you didn't read it. You have just posted your reply in ignorance and denial of the truth. There are many people such as yourself. That is to be expected.

Those who are interested in finding out the truth of the matter will do so. Those such as yourself, will continue to do what you do. That is the way of things.

I was wrong.
What I should have said is… He is either teaching a wrong teaching, or you learned wrong from a right teaching.

But I’m assuming what you have been saying here is the same thing he is going to say.
Am I right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2009, 09:03 AM

33,296 posts, read 26,501,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jorgy1961 View Post
I was wrong.
What I should have said is… He is either teaching a wrong teaching, or you learned wrong from a right teaching.

But I’m assuming what you have been saying here is the same thing he is going to say.
Am I right?
Read it. Don't make assumptions. And don't make excuses.

Old 11-29-2009, 10:36 AM

28,103 posts, read 30,002,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Our salvation is species-wide . . . We ALL will be reborn to eternal life as Spirit upon our death. Our sanctification is individual. THAT is what will be "judged" (i.e., either succeed or fail to meet the minimum standards). Remediation or rehabilitation will ensue if necessary.
What do you believe the minimum standards to be? And please elaborate on what you mean by remediation or rehabilitation. When will those who need rehabilitating be rehabilitated?

Old 11-29-2009, 11:23 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,497,727 times
Not that I have already attained, or am already perfected; but I press on, that I may lay hold of that for which Christ Jesus has also laid hold of me. Brethren, I do not count myself to have apprehended; but one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead

Philippians 3:12-13

Old 11-29-2009, 11:57 AM

Can you loose your salvation?

http://tlsm.dreamhosters.com/Audio/2...1%20of%204.mp3

Old 11-29-2009, 12:00 PM

63,876 posts, read 40,157,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
What do you believe the minimum standards to be?
Our "state of mind" MUST be in resonance with a "loving God and with love for each other" . . . and then ANY negative emotions, thoughts, evils, . . . whatever will need to be purged.
Quote:
And please elaborate on what you mean by remediation or rehabilitation. When will those who need rehabilitating be rehabilitated?
This requires a bit of reorienting of our thoughts about fire that are acquired from our PHYSICAL interactions with the phenomenon. (I'm sure you can guess why fire is relevant as regards the "when.")

Ever since we acquired the ability to create fire, the results associated with this phenomenon have been considered destructive and wasteful, unless the energy was used in some way. The normal opinion is that any substance that is burned is destroyed, when in actuality the process of burning is merely the chemical acceleration of energy from its current "slow" form to several alternate "faster" forms of energy, especially light and heat.

The easiest result of this acceleration to comprehend is the ash that remains after a solid has been burned. It is quite obviously less dense than the original substance, indicating faster molecular "speed." Therefore, it is a simple matter to accept the fact that the original substance was merely speeded up to less dense form. So too, it is not difficult to accept that the various gases and vapors are even faster (even less dense) forms of the original substance. Light and heat (flames) . . . OTOH cause many to struggle unsuccessfully with the abstraction that they are simply faster forms of the original substance, because they do not consider them substance at all.

Fire is simply energy changing its form. Hopefully this will alleviate the automatic association of fire with punishment or torment or torture! Fire is only an apparent problem for PHYSICAL things. SPIRITS are already of a similar form and the use of fire is simply a changing (or rehabilitating) of that form. I use the following analogy to see the comparison of fire with consciousness (similar forms of energy). Consider the following two descriptions carefully:

Fire, or “burning,” is merely energy change that produces light and heat. Light and heat emanate from the burning of physical substance. Light and heat appear to leave the source, but in the totality of the universe, they remain as energy. The two forms of energy, light and heat, possess different characteristics.

Consciousness, or “thinking,” is merely energy change that produces thoughts and feelings. Thoughts and feelings emanate from the “burning” of mental energy. Our thoughts and feelings appear to leave us, but in the totality of the universe, they continue to exist as energy. The two forms of consciousness, thoughts and feelings, possess different characteristics.

I hope this helps.

Old 11-29-2009, 12:28 PM

2,526 posts, read 2,939,978 times
Quote:
I checked out the other thread. I’m sure you are aware that some things in the Bible are to be taken literally and some figuratively. Just like our language today.
For G4442, Strong’s says (literally or figuratively)

Figuratively
Mat 3:11 I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire:

Literally
Mat 18:8 Wherefore if thy hand or thy foot offend thee, cut them off, and cast them from thee: it is better for thee to enter into life halt or maimed, rather than having two hands or two feet to be cast into everlasting fire.
Why do you take this literally? Do the hand and foot actually offend? It's the heart and mind that tell the hands and feet what to do, right? Why not get to the root cause of our sin and do a lobotomy or heart transplant? I'm being sarcastic here , but I don't think Jesus is actually telling us literally to cut our hands and feet off, do you? I believe Jesus' instruction here is probably telling us this:

Mat 16:25 for whoever may will to save his life, shall lose it, and whoever may lose his life for my sake shall find it,

Quote:
And of course G166 can be eternal or everlasting.
The Thayer definition for G166 is…

Thayer Definition:
1) without beginning and end, that which always has been and always will be
2) without beginning
3) without end, never to cease, everlasting

Eternal (126) Fire (4442) = This phrase not existing in the Scriptures isn’t surprising. G126 only occurs twice on it’s own.
Eternal (166) Fire (4442) is time specific. It will last forever.
There are differences of opinion on this. Here is another article that goes into the historical aspects of this term:

AIÓN -- AIÓNIOS

Quote:
As far as the article?
I know about universalism. Is it biblical? Parts are. Is it biblical in it’s entirety? I don’t think so.
Some don't know anything about it...LOL At least you've taken the time to investigate it.

Quote:
There is a hell. And the Bible talks about it quite a lot.
everlasting fire — Matthew18:8, 25:41
everlasting punishment — Matthew 25:46
everlasting chains — Jude 1:6
eternal damnation — Mark 3:29
eternal judgment — Hebrews 6:2
eternal fire — Jude 1:7
unquenchable fire — Matthew 3:12
the fire that never shall be quenched — Mark 9:43, 44, 45, 46, 48
fire unquenchable — Luke 3:17
mist of darkness is reserved for ever — 2 Peter 2:17
the blackness of darkness for ever — Jude 1:13
Again, it will come down to your interpretation of those terms and words and how you understand their context within all of scripture. But I encourage all to keep studying the scriptures and to believe as God opens one's hearts and minds to His truth.

Old 11-29-2009, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlabamaStorm View Post
Why do you take this literally? Do the hand and foot actually offend? It's the heart and mind that tell the hands and feet what to do, right? Why not get to the root cause of our sin and do a lobotomy or heart transplant? I'm being sarcastic here , but I don't think Jesus is actually telling us literally to cut our hands and feet off, do you? I believe Jesus' instruction here is probably telling us this:

Mat 16:25 for whoever may will to save his life, shall lose it, and whoever may lose his life for my sake shall find it,

The word fire figuratively and literally. Not everything in each verse.

If I say… “That man over there who is helping that lady change her tire has a heart of gold”

I think you can figure out which part of that statement is literal and which part is figurative.

He is not saying loosing those parts will keep you out of hell. What Jesus is saying is it “would” be better to loose a hand, foot or an eye, rather than spend eternity in hell.

Old 11-29-2009, 01:58 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,538,246 times
Quote:
The word fire figuratively and literally. Not everything in each verse.

If I say… “That man over there who is helping that lady change her tire has a heart of gold”

I think you can figure out which part of that statement is literal and which part is figurative.

He is not saying loosing those parts will keep you out of hell. What Jesus is saying is it “would” be better to loose a hand, foot or an eye, rather than spend eternity in hell.
Hebrews 12:29 for our "God is a consuming fire."

Deuteronomy 4:24 "For the LORD your God is a consuming fire, a jealous God.

Deuteronomy 9:3 "Know therefore today that it is the LORD your God who is crossing over before you as a consuming fire. He will destroy them and He will subdue them before you, so that you may drive them out and destroy them quickly, just as the LORD has spoken to you.

God's fire is always the same.. in fact it is that fire that is God.. so when you talk about a judgment toward someone in the form of fire... that fire is always God.. consistently in scripture.

Isaiah 33:14 Sinners in Zion are terrified; Trembling has seized the godless. "Who among us can live with the consuming fire? Who among us can live with continual burning?"

2 Thessalonians 1:7 and to give relief to you who are afflicted and to us as well when the Lord Jesus will be revealed from heaven with His mighty angels in flaming fire,

Hebrews 10:27 but a terrifying expectation of judgment and THE FURY OF A FIRE WHICH WILL CONSUME THE ADVERSARIES.

Hebrews 10:31 It is a terrifying thing to fall into the hands of the living God.

2 Sam. 24:14 David said to Gad, "I am in deep distress. Let us fall into the hands of the LORD, for his mercy is great; but do not let me fall into the hands of men."

Rev. 2:11 He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. He who overcomes will not be hurt at all by the second death.

So from all that it seems that Good people and bad people go through the same fire of God.. but those who know him (overcomes sin) will not be hurt at all by it.

So in reality we all go down into hell and are cleansed by fire to appear before the Lord. To those who sin it will hurt, to those who overcame sin... it will not hurt.

Old 11-29-2009, 02:23 PM

5,303 posts, read 6,440,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
Hebrews 12:29 for our "God is a consuming fire."

Deuteronomy 4:24 "For the LORD your God is a consuming fire, a jealous God.

Deuteronomy 9:3 "Know therefore today that it is the LORD your God who is crossing over before you as a consuming fire. He will destroy them and He will subdue them before you, so that you may drive them out and destroy them quickly, just as the LORD has spoken to you.

God's fire is always the same.. in fact it is that fire that is God.. so when you talk about a judgment toward someone in the form of fire... that fire is always God.. consistently in scripture.

Isaiah 33:14 Sinners in Zion are terrified; Trembling has seized the godless. "Who among us can live with the consuming fire? Who among us can live with continual burning?"

2 Thessalonians 1:7 and to give relief to you who are afflicted and to us as well when the Lord Jesus will be revealed from heaven with His mighty angels in flaming fire,

Hebrews 10:27 but a terrifying expectation of judgment and THE FURY OF A FIRE WHICH WILL CONSUME THE ADVERSARIES.

Hebrews 10:31 It is a terrifying thing to fall into the hands of the living God.

2 Sam. 24:14 David said to Gad, "I am in deep distress. Let us fall into the hands of the LORD, for his mercy is great; but do not let me fall into the hands of men."

Rev. 2:11 He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. He who overcomes will not be hurt at all by the second death.

So from all that it seems that Good people and bad people go through the same fire of God.. but those who know him (overcomes sin) will not be hurt at all by it.

So in reality we all go down into hell and are cleansed by fire to appear before the Lord. To those who sin it will hurt, to those who overcame sin... it will not hurt.
All these verses compound that the wicked will perish and not be saved from the fire in any way....

Isa 66:24 And they shall go forth, and look upon the carcases of the men that have transgressed against me: for their worm shall not die, neither shall their fire be quenched; and they shall be an abhorring unto all flesh.

Mal 4:1-6 For, behold, the day cometh, that shall burn as an oven; and all the proud, yea, and all that do wickedly, shall be stubble: and the day that cometh shall burn them up, saith the LORD of hosts, that it shall leave them neither root nor branch.But unto you that fear my name shall the Sun of righteousness arise with healing in his wings; and ye shall go forth, and grow up as calves of the stall. And ye shall tread down the wicked; for they shall be ashes under the soles of your feet in the day that I shall do [this], saith the LORD of hosts.

The wicked will pay for their sins, and God will undoubtedly, do what He will with them, but they most certainly will not be allowed into the kingdom, by any means.

UR is a lie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity