Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 02:35 PM

4,610 posts, read 11,101,365 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Can you guys explain to me, what or who is the "Holy Ghost"? I always hear, The Son, The Father and the Holy Ghost. I am a Christian and believe it or not I do not know what a Holy Ghost is. I know who the Son and the Father is, God and Jesus but who is the Holy Ghost?

Thanks, Roma
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2007, 03:57 PM

1,703 posts, read 5,142,752 times
I believe that the Holy Ghost is a personage of Spirit that if bestowed upon someone allows them to have the Spirit dwell within their hearts, helping them to know right from wrong and the best decisions to make for their lives. I belive the Holy Ghost is what testifies to us that Jesus is the Christ and what things in life are true. I also believe the Holy Ghost is a comforter.

John 14: 16, 26
16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;
• • •
26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

The world would call this a conscience.

Old 05-19-2007, 04:37 PM

2,800 posts, read 10,008,637 times
I agree with Dreameyes.

The Holy Ghost (or Spirit) is what fills your heart and soul. There is the Father, the ALL Powerful One that is above ALL. Then you have Jesus that was made just a little below the angels (because He was human), which dwelt amongst the Earth and the Son of God. Then you have the Holy Spirit that dwells WITHIN US! The Holy Spirit is kind of like your Comforter, Conscience and Conviction all rolled up into one that is inside of you. Meaning He (the Holy Spirit) is what is instilled in us, once we give our life to Jesus. Comforter: The Spirit comforts us in our times of sorrow and angst and lifts us up and sets us straight...Conscience: Tells us whether something is right or wrong and leads us to make the right decision (when we let Him). Conviction: This is when He tells us we "really messed up and we have that deep feeling of guilt or shame until we confess our sin and make ourselves right again with God.
I hope that was easy to understand

Old 05-19-2007, 08:50 PM
jco

2,121 posts, read 6,451,575 times
The Holy Spirit is part of the trinity. As a child, I heard it explained like this. An egg consists of a yolk, the white, and a shell. Still, all three parts make an egg. The Father, the Son (Jesus), and Holy Spirit are all God, and all are God in one. They have different functions. The Holy Spirit has always existed. In the Old Testament, He existed around us, and now He lives in us.

Old 05-19-2007, 09:15 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,886,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jco View Post
The Holy Spirit is part of the trinity. As a child, I heard it explained like this. An egg consists of a yolk, the white, and a shell. Still, all three parts make an egg. The Father, the Son (Jesus), and Holy Spirit are all God, and all are God in one. They have different functions. The Holy Spirit has always existed. In the Old Testament, He existed around us, and now He lives in us.
That's pretty good. I really like that.

I've also always thought of the Holy Spirit(Ghost) as kinda the 'agent' of God's work as well. I probably should give scripture to back this up, but I don't have it handy.

Like God says "Be well" and the Spirit heals. I know the Holy Spirit is constantly pointing at Jesus in us...I believe Christ said something about the Spirit testifying about Him. I alos think the Spirit reveals certain aspects of Scripture to us.

Pretty interesting stuff. Great thread.

Old 05-20-2007, 12:24 PM

21 posts, read 74,402 times
The holy ghost, or the holy spirit, is the active force of God. It might be compared to a forceful wind or electricity. We can't see either, but we can certainly feel their effect. Under the direction of God's spirit, the Bible was written by 39 different men. to quote 2 Peter 1:20,21, No prophecy of scripture springs from any private interpretation. for prophecy was at no time brought by man's will, but men spoke from God as they were borne along by holy spirit. The King James version uses the term holy ghost instead of holy spirit, but the meaning is the same. Hope this helps someone out there.

Old 05-20-2007, 12:30 PM
jco

2,121 posts, read 6,451,575 times
I learned something new this morning and thought I'd add to this thread. In Eph. 5:18 Paul tells the Ephesians to be filled with the Spirit. In verses 19-21 he goes on to give us a picture of what someone filled with the Spirit does. They a) speak with a gentle tongue, worship, give thanks in all things, and submit to one another. The chapter goes on to give descriptions of submission, but this is the part pertaining to the Holy Spirit.

Old 05-20-2007, 01:18 PM

1,408 posts, read 5,096,099 times
I get a monthly devotional called The Active Word. The entire month of February this year dealt with the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit (Holy Ghost) is a person...1/3 of the Trinity. If you would like to read/study each of the devotions, go here:

http://www.activeword.org/devotional/index.cfm?d=20070201 (broken link)

At the bottom of each page you will have a choice to read past devotionals - click it and just go to the next date you want to read.

Old 05-20-2007, 01:24 PM

1,372 posts, read 5,210,275 times
close nana he is a ghost a spirit therefore he can't be a person yet
but all those who chose jesus' plan will get a body

the holy spirit has his job to do as our guide and conscience so it was agreed that he would be the last to recieve his body before Christ returned

I know I can't prove the last body thing in the Bible But some things just make common sense

Old 05-20-2007, 05:50 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,623,378 times
I've always thought it was poorly explained and even Christians seem to have various thoughts on what it might be. The Bible is filled with all of the descriptions of the various activities of God and Jesus but it doesn't seem like the Holy Ghost has as much to do (maybe he just runs around with a sheet over his head all day joking). And now that I think about it, isn't there supposed to be something similar to that for satan? There's satan, the antiChrist and maybe something else? Maybe I'm just getting that idea from the horror movie The Omen but I think there might be something that's considered the opposing force of the Holy Ghost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity