Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 08:04 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,572,241 times

Advertisements

Did that statement make you cringe "Christian"? if it did, why? be honest with yourself "Christian". Do you love Jesus beyond anything that you would always put Him first and the world behind you telling the world they are wrong and you are right because you have the Holy Spirit in you or would you rather offer some philosophical, rational approach as to why that statement could be wrong or even bad?

Christianity is the only religion that offers forgiveness of sins, Christianity sets itself apart from any other religion in that it is not work righteous, that there is nothing we can do to gain a reward in heaven, paradise etc..... It is all God's grace and since He died for our sins takes the burden off of us. Christianity cleans the inward as well as the outward; No matter what we do to clean ourselves up we are still sinners but because of what Christ did on the cross for us offers us that inner cleansing. I say, superior in every way!

Am I being a bigot or just brutally honest?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2010, 08:14 AM

5,553 posts, read 8,008,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
Did that statement make you cringe "Christian"? if it did, why? be honest with yourself "Christian". Do you love Jesus beyond anything that you would always put Him first and the world behind you telling the world they are wrong and you are right because you have the Holy Spirit in you or would you rather offer some philosophical, rational approach as to why that statement could be wrong or even bad?

Christianity is the only religion that offers forgiveness of sins, Christianity sets itself apart from any other religion in that it is not work righteous, that there is nothing we can do to gain a reward in heaven, paradise etc..... It is all God's grace and since He died for our sins takes the burden off of us. Christianity cleans the inward as well as the outward; No matter what we do to clean ourselves up we are still sinners but because of what Christ did on the cross for us offers us that inner cleansing. I say, superior in every way!

Yes, you are being 'brutally honest' in YOUR own personal reality.

Old 01-06-2010, 08:36 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,239,057 times
To believe yourself (or your religion) to be superior you have to view others as inferior.
Only when Jesus claims that every sinner can only be inferior can you view Christianity as superior.
The thing here is that bigots always divide people (in superior or inferior), yet being brutally honest does not necessarily does so.
Love does not divide, it does the opposite: it makes whole what has been divided.

Old 01-06-2010, 08:56 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,569,322 times
I think Islam and Judaism both have concepts of forgiveness. I believe Yom Kippur is about forgiveness of sins. The Buddhist story of Angulimala is about forgiveness and turning a life around.

Still as a Christian I think one does believe Christianity is superior to other religions. If you don't you might as well be something else. However Christianity being superior should not necessarily be taken as any group of Christians being better.

Old 01-06-2010, 09:14 AM

33,266 posts, read 26,477,412 times
Quote:

Christianity is not a religion at all. Christianity is a relationship with God based on the work of Christ on the Cross. Christianity is God reaching out to fallen mankind through Christ. Salvation is by grace alone through faith alone in Christ alone. Romans 11:6 'But if it is by grace, it is no longer on the basis of works, otherwise grace is no longer grace.'

On the other hand, religion is the invention of Satan, for the purpose of obscuring and confusiing the issue of salvation. Religion and legalism inject human righteousness into the matter of salvation. Religion claims that you must work to earn and maintain your salvation. And it is Satanic to the core.

The word of God divides. Bible doctrine is divisive. Truth separates those who are saved from those who are lost. Jesus came to divide those who are His from those who belong to Satan.

Luke 11:51 'Do you suppose that I came to grant peace on earth? I tell you, no, but rather division; 52) for from now on five members in one household will be divided, three against two, and two against three. 53) They will be divided, father against son, and son against father; mother against daughter, and daughter against mother; mother-in-law against daughter-in-law, and doughter-in-law against mother-in-law.'

Luke 11:51 is of course speaking about those within a single family, some of whom would believe in Him and be saved, and some who would not believe in Him, and be lost.

Recognizing and standing for the truth is not bigoted. God wants men who will stand in the gap and proclaim the truth in the devils world. Christians are ambassadors of God stationed in enemy territory for the purpose of representing Him. (2 Cor. 5:20; Phi 3:20)

Old 01-06-2010, 10:09 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,185,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
However Christianity being superior should not necessarily be taken as any group of Christians being better.
Good point - the behavior of some (ok, one unmentioned*) religions in their attempt to overtake the rest of the world, the tenants of that faith are forgotten, and the effect of that faith is at best negated and at worst defiled, so that none would consider them to know the truth.

*In defense of Islam, Christianity was at one time ruthless in their own right.

Old 01-06-2010, 10:13 AM

2,595 posts, read 4,441,333 times
Quote:

You are telling the truth. Moderator cut: insult Christianity is the Worship of God.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 01-07-2010 at 08:15 AM..

Old 01-06-2010, 10:14 AM

66 posts, read 111,324 times
Quote:

No, that statement didn't make me cringe - just made me feel alittle....selfish ~s~. I think Christianity is a great religion or I wouldn't believe in it! I think you are being brutally honest.

Old 01-06-2010, 10:21 AM

1,543 posts, read 2,959,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Christianity is not a religion at all. Christianity is a relationship with God based on the work of Christ on the Cross.
re⋅li⋅gion

 /rɪˈlɪdʒən/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [ri-lij-uhn] Show IPA Use religion in a Sentence

See web results for religion

See images of religion

–noun 1. a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, esp. when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs. 2. a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects: the Christian religion; the Buddhist religion.

Old 01-06-2010, 10:32 AM

33,266 posts, read 26,477,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
And what do you think the Pharisees throught of themselves?
It is not what we think of ourselves, but rather what God thinks that counts. God imputes His very own righteousness to the believer in Christ. And that is what He sees when He looks at the believer. His righteousness. (Rom. 3:22)

The scriptures reveal what Christ thought of the Pharisees. The scriptures reveal what God has done for the church age believer. The same scriptures that condemned the Pharisees also tell us that the church-age believer has been placed into union with Christ by the baptism of the Holy Spirit. (1 Cor. 12:13; Eph. 4:5)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity