Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 09:11 AM

1,243 posts, read 1,567,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNick View Post
Ted, you should know by now, that they honestly can't look at the Early Church Fathers, and remain in there beliefs. So they just throw out stuff, and try and discredit them.
They are discredited by the very people who describe them as Fathers, because they did not canonise the writings of these men.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2010, 09:15 AM

1,139 posts, read 1,776,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shibata View Post
They are discredited by the very people who describe them as Fathers, because they did not canonise the writings of these men.
I'm sorry, can you explain that a bit further? I don't get what you're trying to say.

Old 02-23-2010, 09:17 AM

Quote:
I'm sorry, can you explain that a bit further? I don't get what you're trying to say.
The written works of those known as Early Church Fathers are not canonised by the RCC, the EOC, or any other body, for that matter, afaik.

Old 02-23-2010, 09:27 AM

1,139 posts, read 1,776,378 times
Very true, but just because they weren't canonised, doesn't mean everything contained in it was wrong. And Like Ted said, it and others were written after the books that were canonized.

Old 02-23-2010, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Very true, but just because they weren't canonised, doesn't mean everything contained in it was wrong.
True- but then false teachers never get everything wrong.

Quote:
And Like Ted said, it and others were written after the books that were canonized.
What did Ted say on that?

Old 02-23-2010, 10:07 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,718,700 times
Quote:
True- but then false teachers never get everything wrong.
So you're saying that any writings which are not part of the canon come from false teachers. That makes no sense - nothing written during the reformation was added to the Bible, so I guess by your argument the Protestant movement was led by "false teachers".

Old 02-23-2010, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
So you're saying that any writings which are not part of the canon come from false teachers.
Is that what I wrote?

Old 02-23-2010, 01:49 PM

25,080 posts, read 16,332,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ted08721 View Post
Justin Martyr was born in Flavia Neapolis circa 100 A.D., and converted to Christianity sometime around 130 A.D. A Christian apologist, he taught and defended Christianity in Asia Minor and at Rome. He suffered martyrdom in Rome about 165 A.D.

Justin Martyr's "First Apology" is the oldest (non-New Testament) record we have of how early Christian worship was conducted (Liturgy).

And on the day called Sunday, all who live in cities or in the country gather together to one place, and the memoirs of the apostles or the writings of the prophets are read, as long as time permits; then, when the reader has ceased, the president verbally instructs, and exhorts to the imitation of these good things.

Then we all rise together and pray, and, as we before said, when our prayer is ended, bread and wine and water are brought, and the president in like manner offers prayers and thanksgivings, according to his ability, and the people assent, saying Amen; and there is a distribution to each, and a participation of that over which thanks have been given, and to those who are absent a portion is sent by the deacons.

And they who are well to do, and willing, give what each thinks fit; and what is collected is deposited with the president, who succours the orphans and widows and those who, through sickness or any other cause, are in want, and those who are in bonds and the strangers sojourning among us, and in a word takes care of all who are in need.

This is how Catholics have celebrated the Mass/Eucharist Celebration 7/24 for 2,000 years non stop.
I find ur thread interesting. Are u saying this is how all worship services should be conducted? It seems to me there are some Biblical examples of worship services too and they r not exactly as described in this thread. The Bible says "true worshippers must worship in spirit and in truth..." I believe the worship of God is a spiritual matter and is not in the form of tradition or ritual. Now having said that I think people r free to worship in the manner they believe to be consistent with God's Word. One of the things Jesus warned his disciples about was the leaven or teachings of the Pharisees or the religious leaders of that day... Believers r not bound by the traditions of men.

Old 02-24-2010, 07:04 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,718,700 times
Quote:
Is that what I wrote?
What you wrote made no sense which is why I was asking.

Old 02-24-2010, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
What you wrote made no sense which is why I was asking.
You weren't asking. You were misrepresenting, accidentally or otherwise.

Those who fail to use the quote method are inevitably susceptible to that suspicion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity