Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 01:23 AM

743 posts, read 2,234,537 times

Advertisements

As a catholic, our crosses usually have the body of Christ on it....called a crucifix. Other churches or denominations just use the plain cross, without the crucifix.

Just wondering what you or your church uses or prefers and why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2007, 01:34 AM

2,800 posts, read 10,010,360 times
As a Baptist, we utilize a standard cross with no Jesus on it. The reason for this is the commandment
Exodus 20
4Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.

That's pretty much why a lot of churches use a plain cross rather than one with Jesus portrayed on it

Old 06-05-2007, 06:55 AM

1,932 posts, read 4,793,523 times
My church is also (Independent) Baptist and we use just a standard cross. I don't know why, exactly. I never asked. I personally only wear a plain cross. My wife (former Catholic -- now Baptist) still will wear her crucifix and we have a couple in our home.

My mother taught me that we (as Protestants) don't use a crucifix because we believe Jesus is alive at the right hand of the Father and isn't on the cross any more. She said a crucifix isn't wrong, but those who use it do so as a reminder of Jesus' suffering and sacrifice.

I'd personally like to hear if that is the reason for the crucifix or if my mom was in error.

Old 06-05-2007, 06:55 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,700,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawgpz550 View Post
As a Baptist, we utilize a standard cross with no Jesus on it. The reason for this is the commandment
Exodus 20
4Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.

That's pretty much why a lot of churches use a plain cross rather than one with Jesus portrayed on it

I heard the explanation years ago that it's becuse Jesus didn't *STAY* on the cross, and that it's his resurrection that makes all the difference.

Though I agree with the graven image & likeness thing, too!

Old 06-05-2007, 07:21 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,493,300 times
I think that protostants feel that if they put Jesus on the cross they are downplaying the power of the resurection.

But I listened to a Catholic talk once on it and it was powerful.....he said that Catholics have Jesus on the cross as a reminder of the great suffering He endured for US.

Dawn

Old 06-05-2007, 07:21 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,514,650 times
The crucifix on the cross reminds me of the pain and torture He
suffered for my sins, his outstretched arms remind me of how much he loves me The plain cross reminds me that he has risen and is with the Father, and his Holy word reminds me daily of how I can join him..Being a believer is not complicated at all

Old 06-05-2007, 07:37 AM

2,136 posts, read 4,789,510 times
Yes, the crucifix is a reminder of Christ's suffering. I have stated in another thread that I, personally, find the crucifix to be beautiful. I can remember when I was confirmed, I wanted my husband to buy me a crucifix for my neck. I have just recently started a collection of them and have several around my house (I also have crosses w/o Jesus). For me, I see Christ on the cross and I think, "Wow, he died for ME". I find myself often times stroking my crucifix when I am talking to God. For the most part, it is a subconscious thing, but I am aware that I do it. My husband had an uncle who would tell this wonderful story of how when he would say his daily prayers, he would place his thumb over the feet of Jesus (on his crucifix). He said that he is sure that Jesus's feet must have been cold and he wanted to keep them warm. There is also a crucifix where Jesus's arms are streched open. I believe it is called the Risen crucifix. We have a very beautiful in the narthex of our church.

Old 06-05-2007, 07:49 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,756,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mams1559 View Post
My mother taught me that we (as Protestants) don't use a crucifix because we believe Jesus is alive at the right hand of the Father and isn't on the cross any more. She said a crucifix isn't wrong, but those who use it do so as a reminder of Jesus' suffering and sacrifice.

I'd personally like to hear if that is the reason for the crucifix or if my mom was in error.
That's pretty much how the Pastor at my last church explained it. It doesn't matter for me. Really, it's one of those silly details religious people like to debate.

Old 06-05-2007, 08:16 AM

1,703 posts, read 5,143,844 times
I totally agree with alicia. My church does not use the sign of the cross or crucifix anywhere. It seems to me to focus to much on Christ's death when the focus should be on His glorious resurrection.

Old 06-05-2007, 08:17 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,580,151 times
Not even his death really...the INSTRUMENT of his death. Yikes. I mean it was the same instrument that killed criminals so what was special about it, exactly?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity