Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 08:06 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,579,505 times

Advertisements

Then, because so many people were coming and going that they did not even have a chance to eat, he said to them, "Come with me by yourselves to a quiet place and get some rest."

Christ saw that His disciples were weary, overworked and maybe even a bit stressed out, being so busy about His work that they didn't have time to eat..

Does this sound like us in this day?

Our lives are so full of things to do, things to take care of and things waiting to be done that we often neglect His temple that is only a temporary residence for Him while we are in the flesh..We need to take time for the temple to be cleansed and refreshed..

"Come with me, by yourselves to a quiet place and get some rest"

May you find time to do this everyday..
God Bless all of you and may you find your time this weekend to be in a quiet place with Him..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2010, 08:52 AM

1,243 posts, read 1,571,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
Then, because so many people were coming and going that they did not even have a chance to eat, he said to them, "Come with me by yourselves to a quiet place and get some rest."

Christ saw that His disciples were weary, overworked and maybe even a bit stressed out, being so busy about His work that they didn't have time to eat..
However, the disciples didn't get any rest. With Jesus, they rowed across Galilee, only to find a large crowd was waiting for them on the other side. Then they had the job of feeding these people, then collecting the food they had left behind. As soon as they had finished that, they had to row back across the lake, this time into a headwind- and learned a sharp lesson on the way. On reaching Gennesaret, as soon as they were out of the boat, people brought the sick to be healed. They had no rest!

So it is with the Lord's disciples today. If there are minds to feed, or even mouths to feed, they come before one's own comforts- though obviously one must not make oneself ill or otherwise incapacitated. The body may become tired, but the mind will always, no matter what the circumstance, be at peace, with that peace that the world cannot give, provided it is looking to Jesus in prayer, and rejoicing in his presence.

Old 04-03-2010, 09:28 AM

823 posts, read 1,413,466 times
Thank you Miss Blue. I agree - it is always important to look after those that are in need. Our relationship with our Father is also of most importance and it does require that quiet time with Him. This is the time that we take to pray for His Love, Love Him Back and seek forgiveness for any wrongdoings. Somedays I don't seek it during quiet time but while running errands, a thought of him here or there....but those quiet times are of so importance when we can take them.

Our body needs sleep everyday....and our soul needs to also connect with God everyday in that quiet time.

Old 04-03-2010, 12:58 PM

436 posts, read 1,176,261 times
Sellah

Old 04-05-2010, 03:30 PM

9,704 posts, read 10,080,441 times
In the Word of God ---1 Thessalonians 5: 17-- ``Pray without ceasing`` ... which means that you do not have to be in a prayer closet all day long, but that the Lord is with you in his dwelling place, Talk with him all the time and give prayers when the thoughts come up.....Just rebuke the adversary in Jesus name every time he says anything to you, he trys to get you to believe he is ``God to you`` he will say .......... Jesus said`` rest a while ``--. in Mark 6:31 the rest of the Lord is a lot diffrent then the rest of sleeping at night, but the rest is freedom from the world and foritude of his grace. when believer get saved they get into rest of the Lord God........

Old 04-08-2010, 08:09 AM

5,535 posts, read 7,382,745 times
If God needed to rest ( the 7th day ), and Jesus would periodically get away to be alone with the Father,

I figure it's good for me too.

Thanks for the reminder Blue

Old 04-08-2010, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
If God needed to rest ( the 7th day ), and Jesus would periodically get away to be alone with the Father.

I figure it's good for me too.
So everyone should be alone on Sundays?

Old 04-08-2010, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibata View Post
So everyone should be alone on Sundays?
Did I say that?

Old 04-08-2010, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
Did I say that?
Inadvertently.

Old 04-08-2010, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibata View Post
Inadvertently.
I'm no biblical literalist.
Merely stating that the text does appear to encourage "rest"

I have no definitive opinion on the sunday vs saturday vs today, vs any day debate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity