Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 11:46 AM

5,303 posts, read 6,436,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Humans are His children desirous of emulating Him and becoming a spiritual adult. Questioning is how we learn.
His children are those who put their faith in Him

1 John 1:7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.

1 John 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us [our] sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2010, 11:49 AM

8,182 posts, read 9,214,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Hebrews 5:9 states, "And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him." Jesus Christ is the Savior of those who obey Him. This does NOT mean that our works save us. It means that if we claim to believe in Christ, we are expected to show our faithfulness to Him by our obedience. It means walking the walk, not just talking the talk.
We walk the walk because God sees us as perfect. How can we be perfect and sinful in Gods eyes at the same time? Our obiedience is through Christ, not by our own "good deeds".

Our obiedience is our faith is Jesus's saving grace.
John 6:29 Jesus answered and said to them, "This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He has sent."

Romans 16:26

but now is manifested, and by the Scriptures of the prophets, according to the commandment of the eternal God, has been made known to all the nations, leading to obedience of faith;

Last edited by hilgi; 06-06-2010 at 12:16 PM.. Reason: Adding more

Old 06-06-2010, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat2 View Post
Hilgi,

i would disagree with that

Joh 14:23 Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.
Joh 14:24 He that loveth me not keepeth not my sayings: and the word which ye hear is not mine, but the Father's which sent me.
His words and sayings are of faith. You have a choice, you believe in him or you follow the law. If you are 100% perfect you will be saved, if not you must believe in Jesus.

Old 06-06-2010, 12:37 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,530,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
His words and sayings are of faith. You have a choice, you believe in him or you follow the law. If you are 100% perfect you will be saved, if not you must believe in Jesus.
The Pharisees thought they were 100% perfect and yet Jesus told them they wouldn't enter into the kingdom of heaven....

Why do you think someone is saved by being perfect? What is salvation to you?

Old 06-06-2010, 12:57 PM

6,657 posts, read 8,131,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
Legoman,

How do you come to the conclusion that "Christ did not want people to understand the kingdom?"
Did you read the passage I was quoting in that same post you responded to? From Post #38:

Luke 8:8 ..When he said this, he called out, "He who has ears to hear, let him hear." 9His disciples asked him what this parable meant. 10He said, "The knowledge of the secrets of the kingdom of God has been given to you, but to others I speak in parables, so that,
" 'though seeing, they may not see;
though hearing, they may not understand.'

Here we see one example where Jesus Himself did not want the masses to understand. It was not their time to understand.

How do you understand that passage sciotamicks?

Old 06-06-2010, 01:56 PM

11,897 posts, read 3,703,090 times
Quote:
Hilgi,

I do believe it is by faith and not by law and it is by the spirit and not the flesh -- we are to live by faith and the spirit.

It is not as strict as you think and I do not think it is as lenient as you seem to be making out

I think there is a balance

Quote:
Luk 6:43 For a good tree bringeth not forth corrupt fruit; neither doth a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.
Luk 6:44 For every tree is known by his own fruit. For of thorns men do not gather figs, nor of a bramble bush gather they grapes.
Luk 6:45 A good man out of the good treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is good; and an evil man out of the evil treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is evil: for of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaketh.
Luk 6:46 And why call ye me, Lord, Lord, and do not the things which I say?

Quote:
Gal 5:16 This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.
Gal 5:17 For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would.
Gal 5:18 But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law.
Gal 5:19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
Gal 5:20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
Gal 5:21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.
Gal 5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
Gal 5:23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
Gal 5:24 And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.
Gal 5:25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.
Gal 5:26 Let us not be desirous of vain glory, provoking one another, envying one another.

Old 06-06-2010, 06:25 PM

5,303 posts, read 6,436,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
Did you read the passage I was quoting in that same post you responded to? From Post #38:

Luke 8:8 ..When he said this, he called out, "He who has ears to hear, let him hear." 9His disciples asked him what this parable meant. 10He said, "The knowledge of the secrets of the kingdom of God has been given to you, but to others I speak in parables, so that,
" 'though seeing, they may not see;
though hearing, they may not understand.'

Here we see one example where Jesus Himself did not want the masses to understand. It was not their time to understand.

How do you understand that passage sciotamicks?
...by reading the following verses of the scripture supplied.

Old 06-06-2010, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
The Pharisees thought they were 100% perfect and yet Jesus told them they wouldn't enter into the kingdom of heaven....

Why do you think someone is saved by being perfect? What is salvation to you?
Salvation is through Jesus...ONLY. Jesus is the only one who has been perfect, that is the point, only he can save since no human is perfect. Doing better than most not as good as some won't cut it, only doing the "acceptable" sins won't cut it, only Jesus saves.

Old 06-06-2010, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat2 View Post
Hilgi,

I do believe it is by faith and not by law and it is by the spirit and not the flesh -- we are to live by faith and the spirit.

It is not as strict as you think and I do not think it is as lenient as you seem to be making out

I think there is a balance
The problem with keeping an eye on sin is that becomes our focus and not Jesus. If it is a balance then what is the number, how many sins are we allowed? The true answer is zero, unless we are perfect we are not saved and doing just enough good and not enough bad won't cut it.

Living in the grace of Christ is should be our focus, not counting good and bad.

Old 06-06-2010, 06:42 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,530,305 times
Quote:
Salvation is through Jesus...ONLY. Jesus is the only one who has been perfect, that is the point, only he can save since no human is perfect. Doing better than most not as good as some won't cut it, only doing the "acceptable" sins won't cut it, only Jesus saves.
OK so only Jesus is saved...

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity