Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2018, 04:29 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,204,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
Yeah, they are a little lower on horsepower. There is a stupid reason for that though. GM insists on putting that "Active Fuel Management" crap on their engines now where it turns 4 cylinders off at times. This introduces some engineering limitations resulting in the engines having less power. It also introduces known problems such as lifter failures and worn cam lobes. It is junk technology that equates to a very minimal if any improvement in fuel economy. Most people I know that deleted it or turned it off actually saw an increase in fuel mileage because they weren't stabbing the gas pedal all the time to get it to kick back off. lol The engineers have said they could easily get a substantial amount of increased power out of the engines if GM would do away the the AFM crap.
I personally will not buy anything that has AFM on it anymore. I had a Tahoe with it and hated every minute of it. I deleted it on a Camaro and got an increase of over 50 hp and it was a pleasure to drive.

The puddle of oil under your buddy's 07 silverado is going to be the rear main seal. That is a regular maintenance part along with other seals. It is an 11 year old truck and the rear main seal usually dries out and can start leaking in the neighborhood of 8 years give or take. This is one of those parts that age is just as much or more of a factor as the mileage. Rubber seals dry and crack over time.

Let me guess, blown head gasket and the other was probably one of the altimas with the catalytic convertor that started coming apart and particles got sucked back into the cylinders resulting in the engine burning oil so bad it wouldn't run.

I had a couple of Altimas and they were the cheapest slapped together piles of **** I have ever owned. Blown or leaking head gaskets are the norm. The interior is full of super thin easily broken cheap plastic crap. On top of that, the plastic pieces are coated with a thin coat of paint usually silver that wears off in no time and looks like crap. Nissan is the Chrysler of Japan and I will never own another one.

Well, the 1986 Nissan P/U wouldn't do over 45 mph 6 months new. The Sentra had about 4 major dysfunctions including no brakes! 4 months new. Biggest piece of junk I ever bought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram