Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 09:46 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,816,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
KJ:

Here is a recipe for corned beef (and pastrami) that looks pretty good:

Cruft: How to make home made pastrami and corned beef
Thanks. As long as I can get the results out of the pre-corned briskets I will go the simple route. I found them to be surprisingly good, but like anything else you buy I expect they will vary in quality.

Old 07-14-2010, 10:59 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,490,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Thanks. As long as I can get the results out of the pre-corned briskets I will go the simple route. I found them to be surprisingly good, but like anything else you buy I expect they will vary in quality.

Oh, I missed that you are using the pre-corned product. I'll try one from scratch and put up some photos. I'm not sure where to get the potassium nitrate though. Walgreens probably. I'll see if Avrils will get me a nice prime brisket. I got a strip steak there yesterday that is aging in the frig waiting for tomorrow night's dinner. And, I was pleasantly surprised to get real turkey breast when I got a pound of sliced turkey rather than Boarshead. It is just like the day after Thanksgiving with the real deal turkey, super moist, even a little jelly on the sides. I was totally surprized when he pulled this real turkey breast out of the meat case and started slicing it.

Old 07-15-2010, 09:02 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,816,010 times
Wilson... At my age there are only a few things I insist on preparing from scratch. One is my goetta, still using my great-grandmother's recipe. BTW goetta is described as peasant food, designed to use up the lesser cuts of meat. The local popular name as far as I am concerned should be labeled flavored oatmeal patties. But I have to admit, if you used my recipe in today's economy, the finished product would have to sell for at least $7 a lb.

I will have to see whether my next attempt using a pre-corned brisket comes out, or whether I was just lucky the last time.

My better half went to the local independent butcher shop the other day and bought a 5 lb rolled rump beef roast. Used my favorite utensil, a cast iron dutch oven, to cook it slowly (325 deg) yesterday in the oven. Now that is my idea of Heaven.

Old 07-15-2010, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Wilson... At my age there are only a few things I insist on preparing from scratch. One is my goetta, still using my great-grandmother's recipe. BTW goetta is described as peasant food, designed to use up the lesser cuts of meat. The local popular name as far as I am concerned should be labeled flavored oatmeal patties. But I have to admit, if you used my recipe in today's economy, the finished product would have to sell for at least $7 a lb.

I will have to see whether my next attempt using a pre-corned brisket comes out, or whether I was just lucky the last time.

My better half went to the local independent butcher shop the other day and bought a 5 lb rolled rump beef roast. Used my favorite utensil, a cast iron dutch oven, to cook it slowly (325 deg) yesterday in the oven. Now that is my idea of Heaven.
Oh, that is heaven. What time is dinner?

Old 07-19-2010, 11:53 AM

17,597 posts, read 13,378,017 times
Quote:
Now, why would lard from Izzy's kosher beef products not be kosher?
I am working on the assumption that this is a real question, and not trolling

Lard is rendered pork fat....Pork is not Kosher

Old 07-19-2010, 12:05 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,982,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post

Working on that same assumption, usually when people talk about rendered beef fat they call it tallow, not lard.

Old 07-19-2010, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post

On the farm in Indiana, where I see chickens and french fries cooked in lard, its all beef lard. You can call it tallow if you want, but in Indiana its all lard. And, I'm sure Izzy would not have cooked anything in pig fat but would have always had tons of beef lard rendered out of the briskets which are Kosher. I doubt he would have thrown away beautiful beef lard and bought pig fat to cook his latkas - that makes a lot of sense.

Old 07-20-2010, 08:54 AM

436 posts, read 952,678 times
Quote:
And, I'm sure Izzy would not have cooked anything in pig fat
Why? He already stopped being Kosher when he served a Reuben.

Old 07-20-2010, 09:33 PM

16,395 posts, read 30,300,419 times
Quote:
Wilson... At my age there are only a few things I insist on preparing from scratch. One is my goetta, still using my great-grandmother's recipe. BTW goetta is described as peasant food, designed to use up the lesser cuts of meat. The local popular name as far as I am concerned should be labeled flavored oatmeal patties. But I have to admit, if you used my recipe in today's economy, the finished product would have to sell for at least $7 a lb..
Goetta, like its relatives ponhaus and scrapple were made from the scraps of meat in the hog butchering process. The last time I made those products, the first step was to boil the meat off of a pig's head that we slaughtered as well as a variety of other scraps. It was a way to use everything from the pig other than the squeal.

My parents and family's several recipes are all made with much higher quality meats and are thus, in line with your estimates.

Old 07-20-2010, 09:50 PM

I don't know about that price KJ. I use half ground beef and half ground pork shoulder. One could easily substitute raw bratwurst for the pork shoulder. And, its about one-third to one half pin head oats which costs like $1.50/lb dry and cooked is probably $.75/lb. The onions and spices are inconsequential. So I'm thinking my cost is about $2.50/lb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati