Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 01:45 PM

621 posts, read 1,210,219 times

Advertisements

Oh yeah, the dust....My mom used to complain about it getting inside and covering the cars, etc. I like four seasons, too - even summer is tolerable for me if not for the danged humidity. I'm just not wild about all the lush green. Guess I'm strange. My mom and I were driving through Cincinnati a few weeks back, and we both noted how "overgrown" and "unkept" it looked in places, and she commented that she didn't like it. She missed Phoenix. And I personally LOVE the Palo Verde trees out there. I like the skinny leaf type of trees, such as those and weeping willows. Also love pines. Flagstaff would probably be my ideal home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 04:06 PM

575 posts, read 1,371,494 times
Default overgrown

The trees didn't used to be "overgrown." They used to be trimmed regularly, but now they are left alone, both to allow the trees, shrubs and grasses to return to their natural state, and, I suspect, to save money on trimming. I like it myself. It's obvious the trees are much taller than they were even 10 years ago.
If you like it more barren, wait until January!

Old 08-04-2010, 04:16 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times
The weather today is flipping HORRIBLE. This is one reason why I moved north in the first place, but am currently in Louisville. Luckily the temps will cool some over the next few days. Heat indicies in western TN yesterday were over 120F! Today, the heat index in Louisville was 110F. It was a smothering shop of horrors outside. I would rather be outside in -15F weather than this!

Old 08-04-2010, 04:40 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times
Anybody who thinks this is NORMAL, good luck. But to me it is more normal than abnormal. In all my years here, now some 70 plus, it is about what I expect in Cincy. Just hope my AC keeps working and I can still afford to pay the bill!

Old 08-04-2010, 05:28 PM

2,204 posts, read 6,718,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
But to me it is more normal than abnormal. In all my years here, now some 70 plus, it is about what I expect in Cincy. Just hope my AC keeps working and I can still afford to pay the bill!
I agree, KJbrill ... anyone who thinks this is normal here is just ignorant. I tried buying a window AC unit the other day ... Lowes (sold out), went to Home Depot (sold out, had 200+ units come in the other day, sent half to N.E., sold out in one day, had a return on Friday and resold it by noon on the following day. Sold out in Cincy region), did the unbearable and drove to Wal-Mart Super Center off of Red Bank Rd., sold out...

It should not be this hard to find a window AC unit with a 11,000 or less BTU rating. If this were normal I'm pretty sure we'd be able to find a f**ken AC after 3 hours of searching and visiting major retailers that sell these as normal as you would buying a weed eater.

... drama queens ...

August Avg.'s:
High - 85
Low - 64

... my God, 64 degrees at night would seem like Minne in the winter right now. You know what I'm saying?

Tomorrow's Highs:

Minneapolis - 83
Chicago - 87
Boston - 87
Cincy - 89
NYC - 92
Charlotte - 95
Atlanta - 96
Nashville - 97
Memphis - 99

Old 08-07-2010, 04:05 PM

2,785 posts, read 6,632,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyspider View Post
No, Beavercreek - I wasn't joking. And you're one to talk about taking posts out of context, which is exactly what you did with my post in Summer's thread. But I refuse to argue with you. You're sounding defensive to me. I was simply addressing your comments. If that was "taking things out of context", then we aren't going to be able to hold any discussions with one another, because we seem to be taking each other's posts out of context. What appears to be a discussion on my part is apparently offending you in some way...or too abrasive. I feel the same way, however, in discerning the underlying tone in some of your posts. For instance, the tone of your response to my question in this thread, in which I asked why Wilson's home is different than what you find in the suburbs, seemed patronizing to me...much as this latest response from you is. So it's probably best if we just avoid one another from here on out, okay - or perhaps just post about things that we both see we are in agreement on, how's that? Sorry for getting on your nerves.
You weren't getting on my nerves, it's just the way you go about saying things. No worries, I think you are thinking too hard into what I am saying. I said it before, and I will say it again, you cannot tell emotion over the internet. Don't take things too far out of context.

Old 08-07-2010, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by high mileage View Post
I was intrigrued by the desert landscaping since I had never seen anything like it before in real-life. I felt like I was watching a movie or something. With that being said, although the landscape was something new and fresh for me, I didn't like it at all. All the brown and dust wasn't doing it for me. I HAVE to have lush green vegetation and four seasons.
I liked how in Vegas people had stone in place instead of grass. And that area is in drastic need for change. Their water supply in Vegas and Phoenix, as well as Southern California, is getting depleated fast. If you go to the Hoover Dam, you can see this. Where the Colorado river continues to go down down down.

Old 08-07-2010, 04:57 PM

621 posts, read 1,210,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavercreek33 View Post
You weren't getting on my nerves, it's just the way you go about saying things. No worries, I think you are thinking too hard into what I am saying. I said it before, and I will say it again, you cannot tell emotion over the internet. Don't take things too far out of context.
It's all good. I forgot about this actually. It takes more than this for me to hold a grudge.

Old 08-07-2010, 05:25 PM

I am the same way, look forward to continued discussions with you in the future on the forum. BTW, I don't "hate" the suburbs. I was/still am looking to move closer to Cincinnati, and two of the places that really caught my attention were Blue Ash and Mariemont.

Old 08-09-2010, 03:47 PM

350 posts, read 880,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by high mileage View Post
I have only been here for about two years, so I do not have much experience with summers here. For those who have been here for a while, does this summer seem hotter than normal?
Been here 40 years and no it's pretty normal. With no A/C (ok, rarely), I can still go to sleep with a circulating fan and windows open. Cincy @ it's worst is unsleepable at nights with no A/C. In fact one thing I liked about being here instead of Covington was how many times the power would go out there on hot summer nights.

Actually without looking, there hasn't been any days in the 100's, so it could be worse.

I don't water either and that's saying a lot because I've got tons of flowers also I don't use my central air 99% of the time.

I was @ Fort Knox south of Louisville last summer and it was "Africa hot", wouldn'yt think there would be much difference?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati