Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 09:25 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,942,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbluelandrover View Post
No offense but CNN is hardly a good source for a young black professional. Black enterprise has a better list and Cincy was on the list -for black professionals maybe 10 yrs ago. I'm not going into my observations on this board though. Instead of using your office as a barometer look at the census data (or here on good old cd) on the average household income of blacks in Cincinnati. Where do upper income black familes reside, and socialize? When I do come back to visit I'd love to go to a nice Jazz bar and relax -minus the Lil Wayne wanna bees'. I'll take a nice 50/50 mix. Maybe I'm out the loop though.
Okay, I understand what you meant before a little better now. I honestly can't think of any good neighborhood bars with a 50/50 mix, most are 95/5 or hell 100/0 one way or the other. But I do think there are some good downtown bars that are more like 60/40. Someone help me out if i'm wrong. And honestly nearly all of the younger black professionals I work with live in the suburbs whereas the younger white professionals live in the city. Not sure what to make of that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2010, 09:34 AM

884 posts, read 2,642,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
The black guy who lives across the street from me in Mt. Lookout is a physician someplace. I see him out and about everywhere I go. I don't think he has some secret clubs that he goes to. Except that he belongs to Hyde PArk Country club and I don't.

Oh, and my brother in law is a black guy from Queens. He like music and laments that no sane person would go to a blacks only club these days because of the safety issues. I think he likes the Blue Wisp. And, I know he keeps his eye on the concert calendars for our numerous school events at CCM, NKU, SCPA, etc.

As far as where to have a martini in a copacetic crowd, you will be welcome everywhere downtown for sure.

This isn't 1950! I'm not looking for a blacks only club..lol --or lifestyle for that matter. Just like when WASPY, educated folks come on here looking for 'cool' places to live the masses steer them to HYDE PARK for safety, good times, a certain demographic appeal I gather. I'm sure you know a sprinkling of blacks that are 'spread out'. I'm referring to a neighborhood area like Mitchelleville in Maryland or Park Slope in New York, Hyde Park in Chicago or Baldwin Hills in LA. --not segregated by any means, but a area where "I" can live, go to church, get my do' done up, and at the end of a long day go get a drink. ----Your version of Hyde Park with a Mocha twist : )

Cincy HAD that at one time in North Avondale, Roselawn but people started moving in different directions. Made it really hard to know where the cuties lived back in the day!.

Back when we got hit with hard times I cleaned houses and one of the families I did work for lived in West Chester. They were Indian, lived near friends and other family member AND lived near the mosque up there. They have a community of restaurants and businesses they utilize. They still work and mingle with the 'whole' but also maintain cultural connections.

Old 08-26-2010, 10:38 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,475,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbluelandrover View Post
This isn't 1950! I'm not looking for a blacks only club..lol --or lifestyle for that matter. Just like when WASPY, educated folks come on here looking for 'cool' places to live the masses steer them to HYDE PARK for safety, good times, a certain demographic appeal I gather. I'm sure you know a sprinkling of blacks that are 'spread out'. I'm referring to a neighborhood area like Mitchelleville in Maryland or Park Slope in New York, Hyde Park in Chicago or Baldwin Hills in LA. --not segregated by any means, but a area where "I" can live, go to church, get my do' done up, and at the end of a long day go get a drink. ----Your version of Hyde Park with a Mocha twist : )

Cincy HAD that at one time in North Avondale, Roselawn but people started moving in different directions. Made it really hard to know where the cuties lived back in the day!.

Back when we got hit with hard times I cleaned houses and one of the families I did work for lived in West Chester. They were Indian, lived near friends and other family member AND lived near the mosque up there. They have a community of restaurants and businesses they utilize. They still work and mingle with the 'whole' but also maintain cultural connections.
Hehe. Yea, you're right about that! It would be great if there was an area like Park Slope here. But, you can see the demographics of Cincinnati. There is a large population of disadvantaged black persons and not such a large population of upper middle class black persons. Those small numbers have assimilated into the community and appear somewhat invisible at a distance. I had a couple of black graduate school colleagues who went straight to the DC area for good job opportunities in the late 1970's. I think that is a pattern that has stilted an already out of whack demographic.

Old 08-26-2010, 11:42 AM

884 posts, read 2,642,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
Hehe. Yea, you're right about that! It would be great if there was an area like Park Slope here. But, you can see the demographics of Cincinnati. There is a large population of disadvantaged black persons and not such a large population of upper middle class black persons. Those small numbers have assimilated into the community and appear somewhat invisible at a distance. I had a couple of black graduate school colleagues who went straight to the DC area for good job opportunities in the late 1970's. I think that is a pattern that has stilted an already out of whack demographic.
AMEN! And this is contributing to the downfall of areas such as Roselawn, even Westwood and the Colerain area. This is NOT PC to say but Cincy DOES have a large black poor class. Even Forest Park--one that I would say got close to being a nice option, went downhill in spots.

I have hope for the future but right now there isn't a area that I could point to that would bring Howard or Spellman grads towards the area. We also went to the DC area, high cost, traffic (the worst ANYWHERE!), and REAL diverse settings!. Next time I visit I'm going to see if Bootsy's place is cool.

Old 08-26-2010, 09:07 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,832,767 times
I thought this thread was about helping somebody buy a house.
LOL!!!
Before Short Vine turned into Dodge City there was a jazz "room" called Satin Doll. I think it lasted for a matter of months.
Before the Christmas Eve shooting in '07 I thought the Legacy held promise as a "respectable" gathering place, but it was a banquet/function hall rather than a nightclub mostly. Just up Reading Rd from there and immediately south of Summit there's a spot called Phat Daddy's which seems to not be what the name implies. From Web write-ups (as if Websites give the whole picture) it looks to be on the classy side, with old-school purple booths and live or DJ'd music.
There's also a club near the top of the Reading Rd hill in Paddock Hills called "Blues Only," but that still covers a lot of subgenres. I can't say whether the makeup of the clientele reflects the unusually multiracial composition of the neighborhood. Chances are good that it might. No matter; it still obviously wouldn't be where to go to sip wine and exhale.
Slim pickin's eh? I was elated to hear that the Blue Wisp was brought back from the brink of death, maybe there's still hope.
The "promised land" for AA professionals in Boston (who fade into the woodwork much as in Cincy) is definitely Atlanta. A couple of people of my acquaintance have made the move and "so aren't looking back." When the son of a close friend was ready to start his own company he, too, looked southward without hesitation. Earlier this year he bought a new facility to double manufacturing capacity. His family is cozy and content in a McMansion that they bought brand-new, with the kids thriving in a top-ranked and "integrated" school. They're in suburban Raleigh. Black folks from New England (from my small and yearslong survey sample) aren't feeling DC because "you still get real winters there."
Speaking of which: BBLR, I saw with my own eyes what happens to Georgia Ave at peak times. My friends on the CC/SS frontier told me that all eight lanes would grind to a halt by 4 PM and they were right!

Old 08-27-2010, 07:12 AM

29 posts, read 77,160 times
I just took a drive around the Springdale area and felt bored! It may be nice for me 15-20 years from now..but it is pretty far from the city. What do you guys think of Hartwell? It's only about 15 mins from the city and there are many beautiful homes there. The house is on Curzon Ave, near the railroad tracks...which I hear is less desireable than other areas ...

Old 08-27-2010, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jl938206 View Post
I just took a drive around the Springdale area and felt bored! It may be nice for me 15-20 years from now..but it is pretty far from the city. What do you guys think of Hartwell? It's only about 15 mins from the city and there are many beautiful homes there. The house is on Curzon Ave, near the railroad tracks...which I hear is less desireable than other areas ...
The Hartwell Girl will be all over this if she sees your post. You could DM her, she knows more about Hartwell than anyone, my smart alec comments notwithstanding. I think the best feature of Hartwell is that it is utterly centrally located. With north, south, east and west arteries in addition to the Xway access in all directions, you could get to work almost anywhere in the middle os a snowstorn in 15 minutes with the highways closed. No where is Cincinnati better located for a rush hour commute in all directions..

Old 08-27-2010, 08:06 AM

3 posts, read 4,092 times
I noticed that wilson1010 does not seem like a very happy or nice person. Most of your comments are insulting and/or pretentious. Rather than helpful information many posts (not only wilson) are ranting hateful outbursts. I won't be back to this site so don't bother trying to tear me down mr. 1010. You should spend less time on the computer obsessing over posts and trying to prove yourself and more time trying to enjoy life. Unless that IS your idea of enjoying life.

Old 08-27-2010, 08:07 AM

29 posts, read 77,160 times
Thanks for your reply Wilson! I was reading posts last night and saw that she is very knowledgeable about Hartwell, so I DM'd her last night and am waiting for a response. That's great that it is centrally located..it will definitely be a big help if I'm ever running late for work!

Old 08-27-2010, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyfriend123 View Post
I won't be back to this site so don't bother trying to tear me down
OK, goodbye then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati