Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 10:52 AM

4,823 posts, read 4,945,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincydave8 View Post
Cincinnati is not the south. Next question.
I thought Cincinnati was quasi-south when I lived there.

Old 09-05-2017, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Conservative and laid back also exists in rural upstate New York. Are they the South now too?

DO YOU EVEN KNOW OHIO HISTORY
...yet CIN area is home to the fundamentalist Creation Musueam and the Ark Experience; and good 'ole Kim Davis (she of gay marriage infamy) is not all that far from metro CIN.

Last edited by Kamms; 09-05-2017 at 11:28 AM..

Old 09-05-2017, 11:06 AM

1,423 posts, read 1,478,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimi in cinci View Post
Never- that's really Southern.
Quote:
So as you can see, I would say Cincinnati is culturally what it is geographically: a Lower Midwest city
Interesting.

Anyways, in my part of the south:

-Duke's mayonnaise is popular
-It only takes an inch or two to cancel school
-Summer (July/August) is hot and humid (90º+ with dew points in the 60s). Winters are typically mild (Highs in the 50s, Lows in the 30s)
-Baptist Churches are very common
-BBQ involves slow cooking meat for many hours at a time; Cookouts involve burgers and Hot Dogs
-We like our tea very sweet and readily available
-Cheerwine is a dark red cherry flavored soda similar to Dr. Pepper
-You wouldn't want someone telling you 'Bless Your Heart'

Last edited by Renownedtheworldaround; 09-05-2017 at 11:30 AM..

Old 09-05-2017, 11:18 AM

Quote:
I didn't ever meet anyone here who spoke non rhotically. However the native accent here is reminiscent of speech from New York to Philly. Cincinnati shares a "split short A" system with these two cities. So a word like "gas" would have a tensed short A (raised quality where it sound like "geeas") and the word "gap" would have a "lax short A" and would share the same vowel quality as the rest of the US. Cincinnati is the only city of the interior to use this. The other is New Orleans and their accent sounds NYC like as well
I've lived in CIN and NYC, as well as Philly, and never thought ''gee, the NY and Philly accents remind of being in CIN''. Sorry, no one thinks this in NY or Philly. If a native CIN person moves to NY or Philly, no one is asking them if they're from Queens or South Philly.

Besides, with the influx of non-natives in NY and now Philly, these local hard-core accents are fading.

Old 09-05-2017, 11:28 AM

Quote:
My God man. Cincinnati is a typical Lower Midwest city akin to St. Louis or Indianapolis. It is NOT Southern. Even across the river the culture is more Ohio influenced than Kentucky influenced.
...and yet the old KKK was huge in Indianapolis, another ''southern-ish'' quality. There was even old burned cross on I-71 just north of CIN with a huge Confederate Flag painted on the entire roof of the barn associated with the cross.

Old 09-05-2017, 12:27 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,059,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
I thought Cincinnati was quasi-south when I lived there.
Bruh. Nobody cares of your negative opinions of Cincinnati. You don't know Southern culture. Cincinnati is conservative due to its heavily German population whom mostly vote Republican. The same thing happens in a lot of the Midwest. Cincinnati has no traits that are uniquely Southern that can't be found elsewhere like Columbus, Indy, or St. Louis.

It doesn't make these cities Southern. It makes Rem typical small cities inside flyover country. Nothing about Cincinnati is Southern except the transplants from KY.

And...no one cares that you think Cincinnati people don't sound like NYC people or Philly people. THIS IS YOUR OPINION and linguistic studies prove you wrong. So I am not even sure what you were trying to accomplish by this.

Cincinnati is about as Southern as Indy and St. Louis. Aka not Southern culturally but just with a conservative framework. None of these things are unique to the South but instead are seen in tons if small cities throughout the country. South Dakota has lots of features like this and please go tell them they are Southern lmao

Old 09-05-2017, 12:29 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,480,869 times
Quote:
...and yet the old KKK was huge in Indianapolis, another ''southern-ish'' quality. There was even old burned cross on I-71 just north of CIN with a huge Confederate Flag painted on the entire roof of the barn associated with the cross.

Yes, uh, I don't think so. Klan huge in Indy? - I have to call BS on that.

Old 09-05-2017, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerred View Post
While not southern, Cincinnati does have a significant Appalachian component which is no surprise given the historical migration patterns to the city. Also, Clermont County is an ARC-designated Appalachian county so Appalachia is literally on the city's doorstep. I think if people bring up Cincinnati and "southern" they are really thinking "appalachian" and Appalachian≠Southern.
This. Cincinnati is hillbilly for sure but it ain't Southern. Southern is a specific culture not just a love of conservatism and backwards politics. The framework and culture of Cincy is quite backwards and ignorant but that doesn't make us Southern.

Old 09-05-2017, 12:33 PM

Quote:
...yet CIN area is home to the fundamentalist Creation Musueam and the Ark Experience; and good 'ole Kim Davis (she of gay marriage infamy) is not all that far from metro CIN.
Dude. None of this is Southern. You don't know Midwest culture. All of these things are seen across the Heartland. Southern isn't conservative politics. It is a combo of history, music, language, ethnicity, food, and attitude. Cincinnati passes the test of being seen as some podunk town with ignorant people. What it doesn't pass as is an actual Southern city. The culture is conservative but for different reasons than the South.

Old 09-05-2017, 12:57 PM

2,916 posts, read 3,001,526 times
It's not Southern...in the same way that West Virginia isn't southern (and I'm almost iffy on Kentucky).

"Southern" to me is a blend of African, European and Native American culture. Most Midwest cities seem heavily influenced by Scandinavians and Central Europeans. The South's European influence is more heavily slanted towards British/Scottish culture with notable exceptions (Czech/Poles/Spanish in TX, French in Louisiana etc).

Black-eyed peas, peanuts, collard greens, okra (not fried), baked mac-n-cheese, gratuitous use of hot sauce that isn't Tabasco, hot links, catfish/buffalo fish, yams/sweet potatoes etc. Rice is also a big fault line. Jollof rice from West Africa and Jambalaya are pretty doggone close to being 'food cousins.' I don't think Midwestern cuisine puts a lot of emphasis on rice historically as that was more of a staple crop in tropical and subtropical regions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati