Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 06:22 PM

310 posts, read 1,210,049 times

Advertisements

USA Today says Ohio's best burger is found in Cincinnati at Zip's Cafe! Don't tell that to all the fans of Terry's Turf Club burgers!

USA Today: Local Eatery Serves Ohio's Best Burger - News Story - WLWT Cincinnati (http://www.wlwt.com/r/25243833/detail.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2010, 06:39 PM

3,336 posts, read 6,944,235 times
that is utterly crazy. zip's isn't even the best burger on the east side of Cincinnati, much less in the whole state. zip's is basically just a little bit better than wendy's

the best burger in the state is the tank burger at tank's in Dayton. best in Cincinnati has to be quatman's.

Old 10-01-2010, 06:47 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,480,869 times
I think Zip's has the best burger. And, I've been going there for a really long time. And, like most good things in Cincinnati its in Mt. Lookout. But, there is a lot of dispute over what makes a good burger. So, there is a lot of room for difference of opinion. I'd have to put the burger at the Pine Club on the list.

Old 10-01-2010, 07:01 PM

2,545 posts, read 2,868,675 times
My family ventured out to Mt. Lookout from Finneytown this past Mother's Day to taste "Cincy's best burger" for ourselves and decided that the 45 minute wait at Zip's was not worth it to and we went elsewhere that day.

I'll vouch for Van Zandt Tavern in North College Hill as the place to go if you want a gourmet burger. One of the best burgers I've had during my relatively short existence and the restaurant provides a very pleasant, quiet atmosphere as well.

Old 10-01-2010, 11:25 PM

436 posts, read 952,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Dunn View Post
USA Today says Ohio's best burger is found in Cincinnati at Zip's Cafe! Don't tell that to all the fans of Terry's Turf Club burgers!

USA Today: Local Eatery Serves Ohio's Best Burger - News Story - WLWT Cincinnati (http://www.wlwt.com/r/25243833/detail.html - broken link)
I went there. I wasn't awed, in any way.

Old 10-01-2010, 11:29 PM

436 posts, read 952,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
I think Zip's has the best burger.
What? That other guy is right. It's only a bit better than Wendy's.

A burger should be 1/2 lb, seasoned, and cooked no higher than medium rare.

I can make you a burger that blows Zip's away.

Old 10-01-2010, 11:52 PM

2,368 posts, read 5,106,704 times
It's not a burger, but has anyone had the crab cake sandwich at Mitchell's in Cincinnati? It's surprisingly tasty!

Old 10-02-2010, 12:08 AM

4,888 posts, read 13,835,891 times
I'd been hearing about Zipburgers since the days of my misspent youth, and finally got the chance to try one last August. Good times! "Ice cold" beer was just the ticket on a blazing hot day; good company was to be had at the bar; the bartender was a smartazz, which I like in a person; it was a hoot to watch the 'lectric train make its rounds...oh yeah, and I had a Zipburger. Meh.
The best hamburgers I ever consumed were the ones you could buy grilled to order at Tim's Tavern in Boston - can I get a witness? Gentrification killed Tim's but the taste sensation lives on in my memory.
#1 fast-food burger, hands down? Carl's Jr in Los Angeles, baby! The ones at Ollie's Trolley are excellent too.
The Terry's hype drowns out even that for Zip's, but it's kinda too bad about the name. I hear "turf" and I think "horses." LOL Mrs Goyguy Sr says their burgers are pretty good "but I don't know that they're necessarily worth the hour-and-a-half wait."
You're in for a treat if you roll down Wyoming Ave in the suburb of the same name and see smoke rising from the sidewalk as you reach the business blocks. That means the butcher shop people have fired up their Weber kettle grills. And THAT, my friends, means almost-mooing-fresh ground-beef goodness just the way you like it. The meat market folks let word of mouth serve as their advertising, so there's my plug.
I'm liking this thread lots, it could inspire a meet-up location!

Old 10-02-2010, 06:56 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,980,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Dunn View Post

Not to nitpick, but USA Today actually just said, in effect, "here are some highly regarded burgers." Then Polly Campbell put a comment on her blog and she (or someone else) included the word "best" in quotes in the headline. Then on the front page of cincinnati.com, the headline was reproduced, but without the quotation marks.

Check out the Gas Light in Pleasant Ridge. #4 rated burger in the recent Cincinnati Magazine list, and darn tasty. I'd be reluctant to eat a Zip's burger even if they were giving it away.

Old 10-02-2010, 07:36 AM

246 posts, read 1,049,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
I'd have to put the burger at the Pine Club on the list.
Ohhhh . . . The Pine Club. [makes Homer Simpson-like drooling noise]

I was there the night they made George H.W. Bush wait a couple hours for a table, just like they make everyone else wait.

The wait is worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati