Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 09:21 PM

60 posts, read 166,190 times

Advertisements

Perhaps the old Rubel's bakery at Melish & Bathgate. Wonderful aroma when I used to pass it on my way home when working the night shift.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2010, 01:01 PM

311 posts, read 1,754,940 times
Default The Bake Shop

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandasene View Post
Did she write a number address for the location? I have access to old Cincinnati directories on Ancestry.com and can look it up for you.

Edited to add:
I found a listing in 1939 William's City Directory of The Bake Shop at 420 Melish Ave. Maybe?
This is likely the store. My great aunt worked there in the late 1940's and early 1950's. They had a number of immigrant employees at the time.

Old 10-24-2010, 08:14 PM

16,394 posts, read 30,292,455 times
What ever happened to Rubel's? They had so many great rye breads.

Old 05-14-2012, 07:54 PM

1 posts, read 3,400 times
My father sold bakery supplies to Rubel's. My father passed away in 1990 but my mother remembers the rye bread well. She said it was delicious! Where is Mellish and Bathgate? I am new to Cincinnati.

Old 05-14-2012, 08:18 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,809,206 times
What we need to remember is that Rubel's main designation was its Heidelberg Rye. Those of us who go back that far will remember. I also remember my first Rubel's Rye Bread was purchased in an Alber's Market. These are the memories Cincinnati is full of.

Old 05-15-2012, 07:56 AM

We had so many great local bakeries years ago. The only one I now equate as a local bakery is Klosterman. I will still pick their rye bread, etc. from the others at the market. It may be a little higher priced, but I am familiar with the quality. I am heading out today for two main dishes.

One is bacon-tomato-lettuce sandwiches. I have the bacon, currently defrosting. I need the tomatoes and the lettuce. We always have the mayo on hand, Hellman's. You can say whatever you wish about nutrition, from a taste standpoint nothing beats Hellman's. BLTs are one of my favorite meals. Frankly for this, I do to have a good quality white bread toasted. Spare me the wheat, etc. bread they just do not cut it on a good BLT.

My second objective is to get a corned beef and cook it. For this I have several objectives. #1 is get the corned beef and cook it. #2 is the rest of the ingredients I like. My objective is home made Reubens. For this I need a good quality rye bread, sauerkraut, swiss cheese, and thousand island dressing. I love this as a main meal.

As with the BLTs and the Reubens, any complimentary vegetables will survice. So off I go now to get the ingredients. Kroger is about a 1/2 mile away, and I will find what I want there. So it is the major reason I like where I live.

Old 05-15-2012, 11:42 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,981,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
...My second objective is to get a corned beef and cook it. For this I have several objectives. #1 is get the corned beef and cook it. #2 is the rest of the ingredients I like. My objective is home made Reubens. For this I need a good quality rye bread, sauerkraut, swiss cheese, and thousand island dressing. I love this as a main meal.

As with the BLTs and the Reubens, any complimentary vegetables will survice. So off I go now to get the ingredients. Kroger is about a 1/2 mile away, and I will find what I want there. So it is the major reason I like where I live.
What time should I come over? haha.

The few times I've cooked corned beef at home I wasn't really thrilled with the end result. Why oh why can't I get my hands on something that tastes like the old REAL Izzy's of the early 1960s? Translation: "dripping with grease."

Old 05-15-2012, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post

The few times I've cooked corned beef at home I wasn't really thrilled with the end result. Why oh why can't I get my hands on something that tastes like the old REAL Izzy's of the early 1960s? Translation: "dripping with grease."
I find the corned beef which comes packaged in a plastic bag and already brined accompanied with a reasoning packet yields a resonable result. I just cook it according to the package directions. I have a thin bladed knife I use to slice it quite thin on the diagonal. After I get done drowning it in swiss cheese and sauerkraut and toasting the result in the oven, makes a decent Reuben for me. Maybe not an old Izzy's quality, but quite palatable. I bought some wide Klosterman's rye bread which will make some good size sandwiches, the kind you slice in two before eating. Maybe not the same as the old Reubels I remember, but OK.

But that is for tomorrow. Tonight is the BLTs. I have a flat rectangular griddle pan with a lip to catch grease which fits nicely over two burners on the top of my stove. That is where I will cook my thick cut bacon on a low heat to hold down the splatter. Got a fresh head of iceburg lettuce which suits me fine on BLTs. Got enough tomatoes, the ones which come on the vine. Certainly not the same as fresh homegrown ones, but for this time of year we will enjoy them fine. Toasted white bread is the king for the BLT. You can keep that healthy whole grain or wheat type, just not made for BLT. And of course what really tops it off, a fresh jar of Hellman's Real Mayonnaise. Forget the tasteless low fat stuff or the salad dressing like Miracle Whip. When I make a BLT I want it to taste like a BLT.

Old 05-15-2012, 08:48 PM

17,587 posts, read 13,367,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post

Ah, Izzy's. When Izzy was still alive, after his legs were amputated, he would still hold court from his wheel chair behind the cash register. Charging pretty girls less than businessmen, (remember, Izzy's never had a priced menu--you told him what you had and he made up a price)

Or yelling at the top of his lungs, take the sandwich to the customer, it ain't gonna walk over.

The yelling was legendary. The food was great (I had a 5 way heart by-pass because of eating at Izzy's day in and day out). He took good care of us when we were in college.

You could be seated next to a bum or the legendary Rostopovich when he was in town to perform with the CSO.

It's a shame that franchising and over ambition of his son (and others) killed a great hole in the wall.

Old 05-15-2012, 08:51 PM

17,587 posts, read 13,367,588 times
Follow-up. Cincinnati still needs a good Kosher style restaurant. Decent Deli and Rascals don't cut it.

It is really bad to have to drive to Shapiro's in Indy just to get a great corned beef and tongue combo or a pastrami on rye?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati