Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 07:23 PM

8 posts, read 11,321 times

Advertisements

Hi

I will have to take another look at Ft Mitchell when we visit again next month, during our very quick tour we definitely didn't see any new homes or subdivision type neighborhoods. That's one of the problems when moving to a new state that you know nothing about. You only see what the realtor show's you and tells you and you make your impressions from that. Our Ohio consultant had us scared to look at KY, she told us that our kids would need private school, that a lot of people smoked and we would hear people talking like "Aint this and aint that" So, this forum is very helpful and I appreciate everyones help.

I look at sibcy cline everyday and I'm hoping more homes come on the market in Spring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2011, 05:39 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,977,845 times
I admit I'm curious, what did you think about the looks of the two listings in Ft. Mitchell which I posted earlier on the thread?

Old 02-03-2011, 06:56 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
I admit I'm curious, what did you think about the looks of the two listings in Ft. Mitchell which I posted earlier on the thread?
I admit I am curious too. To me they were fine looking homes, on decent lots, with large rooms. They definitely have the space to raise a family and the prestige to entertain, etc.

Old 02-03-2011, 08:10 AM

Hi

I'm sorry I forgot to comment on the homes in Ft Mitchell, we really liked 163 Seville Ct, but it only had 3 bedrooms and with 3 girls they need their own bedrooms. Plus we anticipate a lot of family and friends visiting. I am surprised that for $500K you would not get 4 bedrooms? The other home was lovely but just not my taste. The most important thing, would be the neighborhood, are their other young children? In older developments the children tend to be high school age or older (not always) in new developments it tends to be young families. I want the kids to be able to open the front door and go play with all the other kids outside. No matter how much I loved a home and the town if its not in a neighborhood - no can do !!

Old 02-03-2011, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruby32 View Post
Hi

I'm sorry I forgot to comment on the homes in Ft Mitchell, we really liked 163 Seville Ct, but it only had 3 bedrooms and with 3 girls they need their own bedrooms. Plus we anticipate a lot of family and friends visiting. I am surprised that for $500K you would not get 4 bedrooms? The other home was lovely but just not my taste. The most important thing, would be the neighborhood, are their other young children? In older developments the children tend to be high school age or older (not always) in new developments it tends to be young families. I want the kids to be able to open the front door and go play with all the other kids outside. No matter how much I loved a home and the town if its not in a neighborhood - no can do !!
Good reasons on those specific homes themselves, but the subdivision might be a place to keep an eye on. Probably if I were in your shoes, I'd identify the school district I want to be in first, then start asking questions about which streets or subdivisions in the district have a lot of young families. The importance of location really can't be overstated; individual houses (especially in your price range) can be modified.

Realtors in my experience will try to ferret out what a buyer's real priorities are (sometimes different from their stated ones) and will steer you toward the properties that appear to be high on the list. So mentally prioritizing and making a realtor explicitly aware of say, the top five things may be helpful, especially in making a change to a completely unfamiliar area.

Old 02-03-2011, 09:19 AM

8 posts, read 26,345 times
Try researching schools in KY and OH on this site SchoolDigger.com - School Rankings, Reviews and More - Public and Private Elementary, Middle, High Schools. We are also relocating to the Cincinnati area this summer. I tried looking at schools on both sides. The OH side seems to look much better.

Old 02-03-2011, 01:48 PM

Can I ask what towns in OH you are considering and why? thanks

Old 02-03-2011, 02:57 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times
Quote:
Can I ask what towns in OH you are considering and why? thanks
Ruby, you are wafering. Seems like you are looking for reasons to locate in Ohio. You are bending to the suggestions of others that KY is somehow a backward, uncultured place. Many of us have pointed out NKY and Cincy are inseparably connected. The rapid rise of NKY is due to the simple fact everything in Ohio has moved further out, increasing commute distances, etc. This makes NKY very attractive.

The things you request, neighborhoods with plenty of children in the area, do exist in Ohio. But the better schools are large, maybe even huge. That small town school feel is virtually non-existent. If you look at several of the other threads in this forum, you will see one consistent - Wyoming schools. If you want to spend your money on a house priced at double its actual inherent value look there.

Old 02-04-2011, 05:50 AM

Good Morning

When I was researching on the internet for great small towns in Ohio, Wyoming was listed. However, the reason we are not including this town is because our consultant mentioned that it is a nice town, but its in the middle of inner city, "A few wrong turns and you are in a BAD part of town".

I really liked NKY, mostly Union,sorry to repeat myself, but it was what I pictured KY to look like. Driving down the road with open land and horse fences on both sides. I thought it was great. I guess thats why I was disappointed in FT Mitchell, because I didn't see that side of it. But we will ask to see more of Ft Mitchell when we visit again in March. Someone posted about the airplanes flying overhead in Union, so I will look into that.

I thought people wrote that Mareimont and Terrace Park were small town feel and Terrace Park was a small town? This may be a stupid question, but do a lot of people smoke in Kentucky?

Old 02-04-2011, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Good Morning

When I was researching on the internet for great small towns in Ohio, Wyoming was listed. However, the reason we are not including this town is because our consultant mentioned that it is a nice town, but its in the middle of inner city, "A few wrong turns and you are in a BAD part of town".

I really liked NKY, mostly Union,sorry to repeat myself, but it was what I pictured KY to look like. Driving down the road with open land and horse fences on both sides. I thought it was great. I guess thats why I was disappointed in FT Mitchell, because I didn't see that side of it. But we will ask to see more of Ft Mitchell when we visit again in March. Someone posted about the airplanes flying overhead in Union, so I will look into that.

I thought people wrote that Mareimont and Terrace Park were small town feel and Terrace Park was a small town? This may be a stupid question, but do a lot of people smoke in Kentucky?
Wyoming is one of the Cincinnati area's most upscale neighborhoods (not actually a neighborhood, it's its own city) with an award-winning school district. I'm kind of astounded by your recounting of your "consultant's" description, which makes it sound like some kind of pocket neighborhood in the inner city. I'm not going to say any more, other than to suggest that if good schools are high on your priority list you look at Wyoming for yourself.

Kentucky has a higher percentage of smokers than most other states. About the only time this becomes an issue for most Cincinnatians involves bars and some restaurants. I wouldn't make a decision on which state to live in based on tobacco use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati