Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 07:13 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,977,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by t45209 View Post
So, this is timely. Today on Cincinnati.com is an article about assessed property values in the city and county Hamilton County property values drop $5B | Cincinnati.com | cincinnati.com. According to the reappraisals, Walnut Hills declined a mere 2.27% and East Walnut Hills was down 7.84. Hyde Park, where everyone is supposedly making money on houses, was down 7.62%. Even Oakley got whacked by nearly 10%, although I know a lot of Oakley old-timers will see that as a welcome relief.

The question is, is property in Walnut Hills already so cheap that it can't reasonably go any lower, or has their been enough positive activity going on in the neighborhood that its strengths are helping to stabilize values? It's interesting that as far as the city goes, Walnut Hill's property value stability is in the same company as Clifton, Mt. Adams, Pendleton, and OTR (and Camp Washington, although that is probably driven by industrial values more than residential).
Just curious, are you a realtor?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2011, 06:05 PM

1,130 posts, read 2,543,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
Just curious, are you a realtor?
No, but I play one on TV.

Seriously, no, but houses and Cincinnati neighborhoods are something of a hobby of mine.

Old 04-26-2011, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuironl View Post
I just read through this thread as I will be moving into the "lower part of Walnut Hills" in a few months. Having experience much bigger northern cities such as Philadelphia and Brooklyn NY, this neighborhood has tremendous appeal to me. I am a young professional without kids starting residency at the U of C in July.

I am somewhat aware of the drug and crime problems associated with the area. These problems concern me but do not scare me away from the neighborhood. In other cities I have lived in areas similar to Walnut Hills and areas similar to Mt. Adams. I much prefer the former. Although I might hear the occasional gun shot or two, I honestly feel more comfortable. The proximity to the hospital, cost of living, living space, and historic feel are difficult to beat on a resident's salary. Granted, I obviously plan on avoiding drug related activity and unfamiliar locations during off hours. And, at this time, I have no serious intentions to stay in the state of Ohio upon completion of my training.

I am not alone in this sentiment. I know current residents who live in this area. I talked to the former resident who inhabited the condo I plan on moving to. She had absolutely no problems for three years and loved the space. Suburban living makes me cringe and I am not moving to Cincinnati to pay big bucks for small city living. Walnut Hills offers me and my demographic a good compromise. I have experienced better and worse living quarters. JMHO.
I've been thinking about your response, and I have been hearing this sentiment more and more, particularly from people under 40 and who don't want to live in the 'burbs. I have discovered that I know a lot more people in this neighborhood than I thought. It's being populated by a lot of YPs that work as near as Clifton/UC to as far south as Toyota. It's people who want close proximity to downtown, but not exactly deal with living downtown, and have easy access to eastside neighborhoods.

I've called it the "poor man's Mt. Adams", but perhaps that sells it short.

Old 04-26-2011, 07:03 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,942,354 times
Quote:
I've called it the "poor man's Mt. Adams", but perhaps that sells it short.
With rent for a two bedroom over $850, i don't think it is a poor man's anything

Old 04-26-2011, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
With rent for a two bedroom over $850, i don't think it is a poor man's anything
Don't you think that same place in Mt Adams would be $1100?

Old 04-27-2011, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Don't you think that same place in Mt Adams would be $1100?
At least. I was just being a pain

Old 05-05-2011, 07:55 PM

I thought this stuff only happened after dark! duh

Man shot on busy Walnut Hills street | Cincinnati.com | cincinnati.com

Old 05-06-2011, 08:17 PM

405 posts, read 891,138 times
Default re: WH daylight gun battle

Yeah, what bothers me about that gun battle in WH in the middle of the day is that its only a matter of time before innocent bystanders are killed (as has happened several times in other neighborhoods this year).

Obviously the crackheads with guns aren't really thinking about bystanders.

Given the open market crack houses that have sprouted up just off Martin Luther King near Gilbert, with dozens of "customers" all times of day or night, I also worry about random shooting in that area. Basically I worry about it bcause I have to drive it every day.

Old 05-09-2011, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolden View Post
..its only a matter of time before innocent bystanders are killed (as has happened several times in other neighborhoods this year).
city residents are more tired than anybody of the senseless crime among certain demographics within the city. but other than the tucker's incident where no one was killed, when have "innocent bystanders" been killed? i haven't seen those reports or at least nothing comes to mind.

Quote:
I also worry about random shooting in that area. Basically I worry about it bcause I have to drive it every day.
as one of more than 40,000 daily drivers on MLK, I think you'll be okay. in the past year, that means more 12 million cars have passed through without being randomly shot. or more than 60 million in the last five years. i think it is not a rational thing to worry about.

Last edited by progmac; 05-09-2011 at 05:59 AM..

Old 05-09-2011, 06:49 PM

405 posts, read 891,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post

as one of more than 40,000 daily drivers on MLK, I think you'll be okay... i think it is not a rational thing to worry about.
Do you drive it every day? I am talking about active crack houses in full view of MLK with dozens of "apparent" druggies and drug dealers hanging around there and MLK. It is 30 feet from the road. If they get in a "dispute" about their drugs, and start shooting (as often happens) it is Highly likely that shots will go right into MLK.

Now, it is true it is Unlikely that I will be driving by that minute. But, as you yourself point out, it is HIGHLY likely that SOMEONE will be driving by then, because it is a very high volume road.

Do you follow the above?

I don't understand why you object to my post. A gun battle breaks out in the very busy East McMicken street, multiple shots fired-- and for some bizarre reason you conclude that since no one except a participant was shot, it is nothing to be bothered by?

I personally DISLIKE crack houses lining the street in plain sight in the middle of a very busy Cincinnati commuting road. I think that is a normal feeling.

Finally, MULTIPLE bystanders have been shot this year (most recently a woman on her porch petting her dog, and there was another young woman killed I think on her porch-- was that the one you were referring to?) and in the news-- sorry, I should have said shot instead of killed.

Seriously, your post makes no sense to me. Are you saying crack houses and mid day gun battles should just be ignored? That they are irrelevant to a post called "Walnut Hills, up or down"???

Both the shooting and the crack house I'm talking about are smack in the middle of Walnut Hills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati