Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2011, 08:15 AM

11 posts, read 27,376 times

Advertisements

Years ago I visited my sister who was living in Cincinnati at the time (it was not a long trip- just a 4 day weekend) but I really felt like this city spoke to me. I cant recall where she took me exactly, but I do remember the botanical gardens were outstanding! She lived in a lovely home in a suburb but she took my daughter and I into the city for lunch and sightseeing. I clearly remember how much I enjoyed the architecture and the general ambiance of the city, the pace it seemed to be ticking to, it felt very laid back in terms of being just plain comfortable. I really do remember thinking of the Mark Twain quote-
"If the world comes to an end, I want to be in Cincinnati. Everything comes there ten years later."

I like that in a city...

I am in a position now where I can finally entertain the idea of relocating (and to be honest, downsizing at the same time). For 20+ years I have lived in a suburb in South Florida, one that had the "good schools" and a plethora of helicopter moms, and (*sigh*) zero personality, and I am ready to get a little more urban. So I guess I want an area I can walk around in and have folks smile at my silly french bulldog, and laugh a little with me and maybe even a little at me for being slightly eccentric!

I'm kind of artsy and love historic homes (character homes). As I have looked and looked online on every realtor site in existence, I find I have fallen in love with the Hyde Park neighborhood. I have been "google driving" all over one of my favorite cities in the US, trying to get a sense of what is around and how walkable the neighborhood is, what there is to offer to not just me, but also for an adult son who I suspect will be with me for awhile. I keep running into statements like "wont find anything better in the gaslight"! which is meaningless to me!

Just as an aside-I love to garden, and the plants I could grow in this climate really appeal to me! I also really like the idea of joining a preservation society or some other civic association, if it is connected with keeping a community vibrant and strong.

Ive searched this forum to find any info about comparing the different neighborhoods, citi-data itself has been a huge help with demographics and cost in comparison. I have found Zillow to be enormously helpful too, especially in the demographics arena. Still, the data itself is meaningless if there isn't input from the folks who actually live here, who are interested enough in their community to post here and tell it like it is! I have narrowed my search to two places in the US- Historic Springfield in Jacksonville Florida, and here. I do need to preserve some of the money that I will be spending to get a new home, and so of course the risk factor of buying in an area that is still being gentrified is important to me, and it seems like that would not be an issue in Hyde Park. Still, I might be wrong!

I thank you all for any input in advance- sometimes I lose the use of my computer for hours and hours at a time related to aforementioned son... but i will be back- promise!

I am really hoping that some of you will weigh in here and let me know what you think about the neighborhoods, just as an overview? Maybe even do a comparison thing. Since I am 58 years old, and my son is 23, I know that its important to find a happy medium! So if schools do not count, and the character of a house does, can anyone direct me to other areas that might satisfy our combined needs? I like art museums and botanical gardens, and music and cooking- he basically likes the same things (even cooking as long as its with younger people- HA!) No gardening though!

The upper limit of my budget is 275,000.00- I sure hope you all here can help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2011, 09:21 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,480,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinian View Post
Years ago I visited my sister who was living in Cincinnati at the time (it was not a long trip- just a 4 day weekend) but I really felt like this city spoke to me. I cant recall where she took me exactly, but I do remember the botanical gardens were outstanding! She lived in a lovely home in a suburb but she took my daughter and I into the city for lunch and sightseeing. I clearly remember how much I enjoyed the architecture and the general ambiance of the city, the pace it seemed to be ticking to, it felt very laid back in terms of being just plain comfortable. I really do remember thinking of the Mark Twain quote-
"If the world comes to an end, I want to be in Cincinnati. Everything comes there ten years later." . . . .

The upper limit of my budget is 275,000.00- I sure hope you all here can help!
Can you rent?

If I fit your demographics, I would rent an apartment that permits dogs (I assume there are some) right on Hyde Park Square. What a delight that would be. Go out on the Square every day, everything in walking distance, etc. The whole place closes down at a decent hour and is safe as anywhere on Earth.

Second choice would be to buy a little house in walking distance to Ault Park. you can adopt your own garden plot in the park and enjoy the most beautiful park in the City. It 2 miles to the Square. Lots of charming small houses around the park in your price range.

Third choice, Chestnut Station. you can walk up to the park (1 mile) and have safety in a nice little neighborhood. Rent or buy in your price range.

If you give more direction, I'll suggest some choices.

Old 10-15-2011, 03:12 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,806,233 times
Wilson... I like your suggestions. Steer her away from a neighborhood still experiencing gentrification for whatever what means. Locate in a stable and safe neighborhood and enjoy what you moved here for.

Old 10-15-2011, 05:59 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,980,188 times
OP, people talking about "the Gaslight" are referring to the Gaslight District in the Clifton neighborhood, where some of the streetlights are the charming, old-fashioned gaslights. Clifton has a wealth of picturesque, historic residential architecture, and a walkable business district, but is of a different character from Hyde Park due to Clifton's proximity to the university as well as some less than desirable neighborhoods. In either of those areas, your target price will rule out a lot of the homes. You might have a look at Oakley, where property values have consistently risen even in the down market, and the housing stock has more smaller homes.

Old 10-16-2011, 06:59 AM

Wow! Thank you so much for your input! I have added Ault park to my searches...

Wilson, I dont want to rent if I can avoid it for a lot of reasons, but the big one is that this house will probably be all I leave behind when I go to that final neighborhood in the sky. At least I'm hoping its in the sky... )

As I have looked at the sold comps in the Hyde Park area it seems like I absolutely have to develop a relationship with a realtor. Once I began looking at the sold comps for the houses in this neighborhood, I realized most were only on the market for a short time. Lots of the ones that are currently for sale that grab my attention right away are in a pending status- which is a red flag for a short sale. I can do a short sale- no problem, I've got the time and the savings to go this direction, even a foreclosure is cool- though I hate the vibe and feel for the folks so it kind of bothers me. I know thats silly, an empty house isnt an asset for anyone, but I've got a lot to learn before I'm savvy enough to negotiate that territory. I guess I just need some realtor contacts. Maybe I'll apply to one of those hgtv shows to help me!

I am so appreciative of anything you all can do to help me really, truly. Anything else you might think of to help me is greatly appreciated. I really do love older homes! Sarah ,now that I know its the Cliffton neighborhood with the gaslights but that its out of my range, I can look but not get my hopes up!

I'll let you know how it goes- I'm not in any hurry, as I have to get my own house in order. I'm lucky to have have a lot of options because I have a lot of flexibility. Here is one I am loving, just to share.

3743 Westgate Avenue, Cincinnati OH - Trulia

May your day be bright and beautiful!

Old 10-16-2011, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Wow! Thank you so much for your input! I have added Ault park to my searches...

Wilson, I dont want to rent if I can avoid it for a lot of reasons, but the big one is that this house will probably be all I leave behind when I go to that final neighborhood in the sky. At least I'm hoping its in the sky... )

As I have looked at the sold comps in the Hyde Park area it seems like I absolutely have to develop a relationship with a realtor. Once I began looking at the sold comps for the houses in this neighborhood, I realized most were only on the market for a short time. Lots of the ones that are currently for sale that grab my attention right away are in a pending status- which is a red flag for a short sale. I can do a short sale- no problem, I've got the time and the savings to go this direction, even a foreclosure is cool- though I hate the vibe and feel for the folks so it kind of bothers me. I know thats silly, an empty house isnt an asset for anyone, but I've got a lot to learn before I'm savvy enough to negotiate that territory. I guess I just need some realtor contacts. Maybe I'll apply to one of those hgtv shows to help me!

I am so appreciative of anything you all can do to help me really, truly. Anything else you might think of to help me is greatly appreciated. I really do love older homes! Sarah ,now that I know its the Cliffton neighborhood with the gaslights but that its out of my range, I can look but not get my hopes up!

I'll let you know how it goes- I'm not in any hurry, as I have to get my own house in order. I'm lucky to have have a lot of options because I have a lot of flexibility. Here is one I am loving, just to share.

3743 Westgate Avenue, Cincinnati OH - Trulia

May your day be bright and beautiful!
I'm not a big fan of that area behind Withrow HS. I went to Withrow and the kids walk down those tracks and get into the Grovedale area and up to no good. Just a couple blocks up and you have a whole different deal:

3643 Stettinius Avenue, Cincinnati OH - Trulia

Old 10-16-2011, 09:07 AM

Thanks Wilson- thats precisely what I'm asking about. ( I have that house you posted saved too, but had no idea... Anytime anyone buys in an area that is "older" there are definitely going to be differences regarding safety.) Just a couple of blocks and its a whole different ball game.
Thank you!

Old 10-16-2011, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Thanks Wilson- thats precisely what I'm asking about. ( I have that house you posted saved too, but had no idea... Anytime anyone buys in an area that is "older" there are definitely going to be differences regarding safety.) Just a couple of blocks and its a whole different ball game.
Thank you!
I suppose the people who live back in Grovedale (what that whole area is called back there) would argue that Withrow is a much better, safer place than it was decades ago. Probably true, but kids will be kids, right?

I like the area south of Ault Park Archer, Russell, Shattuc, etc.

I think you ought to look at Chestnut Station. Not much charm but a really affordable choice for safe drama free living. That would be Ashworth and Traskwood. I could live there, even without charm. they have an HOA there and there is a pool and tennis at least for some of that neighborhood. We lost our corner market (at Erie and Pinehurst) but who knows, maybe someone else will give it a shot. I live at the top of that hill on the way to the park.

Old 10-16-2011, 12:56 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,299,963 times
While Hyde Park is nice, you do pay a premium for the name. For the stately older homes that are 300K+ this might be a good deal, but I don't think that anything under 300K in Hyde Park is really a great value. That is not to say that the property will not hold its value, because it probably will, but a 250K house in Hyde Park will typically have a serious flaw because the neighborhood is just expensive.

While the neighborhood as a whole is no Hyde Park, you can get a beautiful home on a quiet street that is within walking distance of a grocery, restaurants, and dozens of shops in Norwood for 200K. Something like this: 4146 Floral Ave Norwood OH Listing Details: Sibcy Cline Realtors® Cincinnati Real Estate

I would also look at Pleasant Ridge, Oakley, and Columbia-Tusculum on the east side of town.

Old 10-19-2011, 05:33 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,025,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemistry_Guy View Post

While the neighborhood as a whole is no Hyde Park, you can get a beautiful home on a quiet street that is within walking distance of a grocery, restaurants, and dozens of shops in Norwood for 200K. Something like this: 4146 Floral Ave Norwood OH Listing Details: Sibcy Cline Realtors® Cincinnati Real Estate
^Agreed. Floral Ave and the adjacent area is a peaceful enclave of many large, vintage homes similar to the one previously listed. And, as Chemistry_Guy has already mentioned, this quiet Norwood neighborhood's central location to retail can't be underestimated--although Norwood is a separate city, ironically it sits in virtually the center of Cincinnati.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati