Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 02:55 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,754,390 times

Advertisements

I'm from Dayton (upstate), and I have an apartment in Covington (across the river).

Supposedly Cincinnati is #4 in the nation in bed bugs, and Ohio as a whole is #1. And, no one seems to know much.

Rules and stuff are different on the two sides of the river.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2010, 03:13 PM

575 posts, read 1,371,884 times
Default What do you need to know?

Statistics?
Personal horror stories? (I can tell you my own book-length nightmare.)
Prevention?
Extermination?

Old 12-31-2010, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippercollector View Post
Statistics?
Personal horror stories? (I can tell you my own book-length nightmare.)
Prevention?
Extermination?

You had/have them and are willing to talk about it?

Hooray! That makes two of us with a book-length nightmare.

First of all, are you aware that Bedbugger.com has a local page for Cincinnati? And, for that matter, he only has ONE local page -- Cincinnati, which I politely asked be expanded to make it "Greater Cincinnati," which he kindly did.

Secondly, I AM in Covington, therefore started posting stuff on the cable message board (Insight), which they recently closed to outsiders. So, I started to copy stuff here, under Kentucky. There's four pages to date, and to date I have not gotten much copied.

Thirdly, to start with, if you can add anything to the list of things victims suffer which I just put up, I think it would be wonderful.

Thanks!

CP

Old 01-01-2011, 10:42 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,944,235 times
i haven't seen one yet, but i have heard stories. i work with a lot of people who must regularly enter some of the worst living conditions in the region. of course they never sit down when in the homes except on a wooden chair and when they get home they change their clothes in the garage and throw their work clothes into the dryer immediately.

this isn't to say that bed bugs only are in dirty conditions, they can be in any conditions. anyone could bring them home and if you are in an apartment you never know what your neighbors are up to.

Old 01-01-2011, 11:10 AM

17,581 posts, read 13,362,412 times
The pharmacies in Western Hills sell out of 91% rubbing alcohol as soon as it hits the shelves.

I saw, at Walmart, a full end cap display of nothing but 91% rubbing alcohol. That is valuable real estate to give up for a fairly low margin product.

So, IMHO, Western Hills area is rampant with bed bugs!!! Thank God, it hasen't affected me YET

Old 01-01-2011, 11:14 AM

2,785 posts, read 6,633,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
The pharmacies in Western Hills sell out of 91% rubbing alcohol as soon as it hits the shelves.

I saw, at Walmart, a full end cap display of nothing but 91% rubbing alcohol. That is valuable real estate to give up for a fairly low margin product.

So, IMHO, Western Hills area is rampant with bed bugs!!! Thank God, it hasen't affected me YET
Knock on wood lol.

Old 01-01-2011, 11:31 AM

17,581 posts, read 13,362,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post

this isn't to say that bed bugs only are in dirty conditions, they can be in any conditions. anyone could bring them home and if you are in an apartment you never know what your neighbors are up to.
Very true!!!. We have close friends in Indian Hills and their home, as well as the homes several of their friends, is infested

Cincinnati Metro has to treat their buses every night. Four Star hotels as well as no tell motels, are infested. Restaurants of all types are fighting the problem as are every airline.

Bedbugs do not discriminate.

Old 01-01-2011, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post

Alcohol, be it 91% or 70%, only works on contact. You can't do something like wipe something down with it (as with a disinfectant) and that takes care of everything.

Unfortunately, say something about the creatures and people will "knowingly" pop off with "alcohol!" and go on about their business. Sometimes they even pause long enough to helpfully add (still "knowingly") "91%."

The other thing that people regularly pop off with is "Call the Health Department." Yeah, well NOT in Kentucky. The Health Department covers a half dozen or so counties. They can check out things like motels and hotels; but, they can't do anything about private residences like apartment buildings.

So the good doctor from Cincinnati who reads the newspaper and watches television tells the disabled man who has an apartment in Newport, "Call the Health Department!" where he's told they can't do anything.

The bugs are on both sides of the river and things is diffren' over yonder.

Old 01-02-2011, 08:54 AM

Skippercollector,

Are you gone?

Old 01-02-2011, 10:06 AM

575 posts, read 1,371,884 times
Default I'm here

I'm still here. I will give an answer soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati