Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 11:19 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
I agree and I'll also add that I think that this kid is getting a bit of a pass because of the type of drug he trafficked. Many people feel that marijuana should be legal so some of them feel the kid should get some leniency because of that.
Regardless, if it was legal it would still be illegal for high school students, just like alcohol. He knew damn good and well what he was doing and should be punished for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 11:21 AM

4,482 posts, read 6,236,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briolat21 View Post
Yeah. I'm really not that draconian in most cases, but what really bothered me is all the descriptions in the paper...
That's a great point. So many times people wind up under trial by media instead of the judicial system. None of us (especially me) knows all the facts in the case. So until then, it behooves us to have a wait and see approach. Yet, several of us are ready to lock him up and throw away the key. Not good, IMO.

Old 07-18-2012, 11:33 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,549,353 times
Well, I'd like for him to have a fair trial.

I'd just prefer for it to be for adult charges. If he isn't guilty - he isn't guilty.

If he is guilty, I don't see how his age (given the other alleged circumstances) gets him off. Except apparently it does to the Warren County Prosecutor.

And no, I'm not advocating he be locked up and the key be thrown away. I'd argue for a lighter sentence (if found guilty) on adult charges. I just don't personally think charging him as a juvenile and giving him a slap on the wrist is going to do anything to get him to understand the severity of his crime.

Whatever. If he reoffends, I guess at that point he'll be an adult and won't have "but I'm a good kid" to fall back on.

Old 07-18-2012, 12:51 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,753,089 times
Quote:

Kid did not respect the laws and felt he was untouchable because he is under 18.
Because he was on the honor roll... ...??

Old 07-18-2012, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpathianPeasant View Post
Because he was on the honor roll... ...??
No, because he is a juvenile and therefore immune from the more servere punishments for his offenses.

Old 07-18-2012, 02:59 PM

1,584 posts, read 1,973,258 times
Why do we even distinguish between adult and minor at age 18 if we don't abide by it? Either we have it or we don't.....but don't assign it arbitrailably based upon the prevailing thought at the time.

Old 07-18-2012, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashes1 View Post
Why do we even distinguish between adult and minor at age 18 if we don't abide by it? Either we have it or we don't.....but don't assign it arbitrailably based upon the prevailing thought at the time.
In today's environment virtually any age between juvenile and adult is rather arbutrary. We can send 18-yr olds off to die in some foreign land but say they are not old enough to buy a drink! To me that is purely asinine. Contrastly saying someone who has engaged in adult activities beyond his age is still a juvenile is the same proposition. The circumstances surrounding the conditions must be considered to establish juvenile versus adult. If we are going to permit someone to give up their life to defend this country they should damn well be afforded all of the achievements of an adult. Likewise, if someone seizes things beyond their years they should be rewarded with the consequences of what they engaged in.

Old 07-18-2012, 03:46 PM

2,538 posts, read 4,711,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
In today's environment virtually any age between juvenile and adult is rather arbutrary. We can send 18-yr olds off to die in some foreign land but say they are not old enough to buy a drink! To me that is purely asinine. Contrastly saying someone who has engaged in adult activities beyond his age is still a juvenile is the same proposition. The circumstances surrounding the conditions must be considered to establish juvenile versus adult. If we are going to permit someone to give up their life to defend this country they should damn well be afforded all of the achievements of an adult. Likewise, if someone seizes things beyond their years they should be rewarded with the consequences of what they engaged in.
Wow, agree with you 100% on this one. I do draw a line at some point though. The case of the 11 kid in western PA was pretty messed up. I don't care how heinous a crime, it is hard to say that an 11 year old is deserving of an adult sentence.

Old 07-20-2012, 03:26 PM

1,262 posts, read 1,301,695 times
Default Really? Do you remember... guess not

Quote:
Sorry. Its ridiculous. Nothing 'juvenile' about being engaged in criminal activity for multiple years.
Sure there is, just ask any kid of 17 how long he has been drinking (illegally). I bet it was multiple years. Same thing with the kids that were buying the marijuana from this kid. You think this was their first purchse?

Old 07-20-2012, 03:32 PM

1,262 posts, read 1,301,695 times
Default On the other hand...

Quote:
Well, I'd like for him to have a fair trial.

I'd just prefer for it to be for adult charges. If he isn't guilty - he isn't guilty.

If he is guilty, I don't see how his age (given the other alleged circumstances) gets him off. Except apparently it does to the Warren County Prosecutor.

And no, I'm not advocating he be locked up and the key be thrown away. I'd argue for a lighter sentence (if found guilty) on adult charges. I just don't personally think charging him as a juvenile and giving him a slap on the wrist is going to do anything to get him to understand the severity of his crime.

Whatever. If he reoffends, I guess at that point he'll be an adult and won't have "but I'm a good kid" to fall back on.
Charging him as an adult isn't going to teach him anything positive either, unless you want him to learn how to be a career criminal. When he gets out, if ever, he will be a convicted felon with no currently marketable skills, except running an illegal drug operation, since his criminal boss won't do a background check.

So, if we want another career criminal on the streets, then we should go with your plan, because punishing a child FOR LIFE, not correcting the behavior through counseling, is what it's all about!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati