Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 06:26 PM

4 posts, read 7,901 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! After reading this forum a bunch of times I decided to post something myself to see what some current responses would be like.

I am a young male, freshly graduated from college and I will be working in Fairfield starting in late September. I want to get a feel for some good areas to look for apartments. I am looking for areas that are relatively safe, but are still close to bars, restaurants, etc. Basically a good mix between social life and a lack of crime.

I don't really mind a commute time of 20 to 30 min, but anything more would be excessive.

As far as my range for rent, I would say I would accept anything below $900, but that shouldn't be terribly difficult as I am just looking for a one bedroom place. Not really leaning towards a studio because I would like a decent amount of space.

I am from the Fingerlakes region in Central New York, so my city experiences aren't really on par with a place like Cincinnati (Syracuse is the closest city to me and its about half the size of Cinci). I wouldn't necessarily mind being in a Downtown-esque/urban area, but again that would depend on pricing and such.

Obviously I am doing a bunch of research myself, but I really look forward to hearing some personal takes on the area. I have heard/seen Oakdale, Mt. Adams, Hyde Park, etc. thrown around a lot as good areas so any additional thoughts on them would be helpful too.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2013, 07:02 PM

549 posts, read 849,599 times
Welcome to Cincinnati! I think you're on the right path. For the record, there's no Oakdale...rather Oakley is probably the best candidate for your tastes. There's lots of young professional energy in Oakley, Hyde Park, Mt Adams, Over-the-Rhine, Clifton, Northside, and Covington. Unfortunately all of these neighborhoods have the dense city feel. Mt Adams is probably the safest, but it would offer a tough commute to Fairgield and its probably the toughest to park in and most expensive. Oakley and Hyde Park offer a nice mix of semi-suburban life and young professional energy. Oakley is cheaper than Hyde Park and has better access to the freeways, but Hyde Park has the better nightlife. Good luck on your search.

Old 08-02-2013, 07:27 PM

4 posts, read 7,901 times
Whoops, yes definitely meant Oakley. And thanks for the tips!

Old 08-02-2013, 07:51 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,910,763 times
Clifton Gaslight District is the safest affordable area with good proximity to nightlife. Oakley and Hyde Park are also decent options, but relatively far from density of nightlife (though there are some bars in the Oakley/Hyde Park/Mt. Lookout area). Mt. Adams is very good, but on the pricy side.

Clifton also has the advantage of good access to I-75 which will take you to Fairfield. IMO you should start your search there, in the neighborhood centered around Ludlow & Telford.

Old 08-02-2013, 08:40 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,166,132 times
I'm going to get laughed off for suggesting this, but how about downtown Hamilton?

Why? It's safe, rapidly up-and-coming, and has a fair number of nice bars, restaurants, and cultural venues. A lot of positive movement there.

For more info, check out the Historic Merchantile Lofts Facebook page.

Again, you are probably better off looking into the traditional YP neighborhoods in Cincinnati first, but I would definitely keep Hamilton within your consideration set.

Old 08-03-2013, 06:50 AM

172 posts, read 254,992 times
barry........where in Fairfield is your new workplace located? North..east...south....west? It will make big difference in your commute as Fairfield covers a lot of territory. If located in northern reaches then OHKID's recommendation (Hamilton) could be a great option. If located in southern Fairfield near I-275 then the recommendations of natininja and ProkNo5 become more reasonable but will still be at least a 20-30 minute commute in rush hour. Those areas would definitely be better for a young guy if you don't mind the commute.

If your work location is east of Dixie Hwy. you might find something to meet your requirements in the West Chester area.

Good luck and welcome to Cincy!

Old 08-03-2013, 07:04 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,983,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHKID View Post
I'm going to get laughed off for suggesting this, but how about downtown Hamilton?

Why? It's safe, rapidly up-and-coming, and has a fair number of nice bars, restaurants, and cultural venues. A lot of positive movement there.

For more info, check out the Historic Merchantile Lofts Facebook page.

Again, you are probably better off looking into the traditional YP neighborhoods in Cincinnati first, but I would definitely keep Hamilton within your consideration set.
I'm not laughing. The OP may find he wants the larger urban environment of Cincinnati, but I find on this forum that people have a one-sided view of Hamilton that isn't completely warranted. Yeah, it's overall a poor and depressed place, but it does have its nicer areas. Worth at least a look.

Old 08-03-2013, 07:09 AM

I suggest you look at the areas being recommended, but make sure you personally test the commute time from wherever you're thinking about living to your work site DURING the hours you would be commuting. I am dubious as to whether you could make the commute from Clifton, for example, during rush hour in a half hour. You may have to compromise on one or another of your ideal things you're looking for. But welcome!

Old 08-03-2013, 09:39 AM

1,295 posts, read 1,910,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
I'm not laughing. The OP may find he wants the larger urban environment of Cincinnati, but I find on this forum that people have a one-sided view of Hamilton that isn't completely warranted. Yeah, it's overall a poor and depressed place, but it does have its nicer areas. Worth at least a look.
I worry there aren't people of OP's age to hang out with in Hamilton, not to mention his class/education level. Worth considering, nonetheless, due to proximity. Maybe there's a yuppie side of Hamilton I don't know about.

Old 08-03-2013, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natininja View Post
I worry there aren't people of OP's age to hang out with in Hamilton, not to mention his class/education level. Worth considering, nonetheless, due to proximity. Maybe there's a yuppie side of Hamilton I don't know about.
I get the fact that I was never a young working single person--I got married my junior year in college--and I get the fact that customs could have majorly changed since the 1970s-1990s. But when I WAS younger and working, I mostly socialized with people I met at work or whom my husband met through work. (We weren't big into churches or other types of organizations--for one thing, we didn't have the time.) Maybe that has really changed, but when I read these kinds of threads, I always wonder about the large importance placed on finding compatible neighborhoods so you can have a social life. It would seem easier to live close to work where you HAVE to go 5 days out of 7 typically, and commute to the discretionary stuff. But maybe that's just me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati