Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 12:02 PM

3 posts, read 5,462 times

Advertisements

. Where is your current location and environment? Cleveland Heights, OH, 15 min to downtown Cleveland, very diverse but safe, large old homes. I felt very safe walking the dog alone at night.
. Are you looking for similar in Cincinnati or a change? similar

Where will your work location be? Erlanger, Ky
Maximum commute time desired? 30 min
What is you budget for housing? 900
Rent or buy? Rent
Type (Apt., Condo, Single Family) Any, prefer single family
Size (Approx. Sq. Ft., # Bedrooms & Baths) 1+ bedroom, at least 650 sq foot
. Other specifics? Prefer updated and smaller over large and run down

. Neighborhood environment?
. Urban, young professional, nightlife- preferred
. Mid-urban, close in neighborhood or suburb, stable investment-will consider
Older, distinctive architecture, individual character
. Modern, 15 yrs old or less, move-in ready
. Diversity of income, race, housing?
We would like an area that is welcoming and diverse, gay-friendly.
Yard - none, small
. Very safe, low crime area?-yes, please
Can tolerate some degree of crime potential? How Much? minimal
Must be walkable and dog friendly!

. Community amenities?
. Daily needs within walking distance, shopping, restaurants, parks, etc.
. Town/city community center for adults & kids
. Lots of parks
. Jogging & biking trails

. Specific wants/desires?
Easy parking as we have two vehicles, close proximity to I-71
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2013, 12:19 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,909,522 times
Clifton is the best neighborhood fit for your criteria (near Ludlow & Telford). The commute might be a bit rough, but at least it's south in the morning and north in the evening. In NKY, look at Covington (near Main or Madison) and Newport (east of Washington, south of 3rd).

If you can compromise a little on the crime, Northside (near Hamilton & Chase) would be a great choice (with the same commute caveat as Clifton). Major LGBT presence in both of those 'hoods. You could consider the CBD if you're willing to go more urban, or Mt. Adams if you can make the money work (could be an issue in the CBD, too). OTR, similar to Northside, but with a stronger crime caveat.

Edit: Changed 'north' to 'south' in the Newport suggestion ... definitely didn't mean north

Last edited by natininja; 09-02-2013 at 12:29 PM..

Old 09-03-2013, 02:25 AM

4,888 posts, read 13,835,891 times
Pleasant Ridge has all that, PLUS proximity to 71.

Old 09-03-2013, 12:27 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,806,233 times
OP...

I do not deny Pleasant Ridge has many of the aspects you desire.

But in my opinion, Northside is the neighborhood which is your best fit. Besides containing much of the neighborhood characteristics you desire, it is a rather flat commute over the river to Erlanger. Over time that adds up. Once you get here can always move.

Old 09-03-2013, 02:13 PM

Thank you all for the advice so far. I will be looking at a place near Eden Park this week, I believe it is on Gilbert and Deerfield, what are your views on that area? Is it relatively safe or should I avoid it?

I am willing to sacrifice safety a little bit in exchange for a more diverse, walkable neighborhood.

Old 09-03-2013, 03:36 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,162,738 times
I feel like you could get better responses if you provide a little more information about what you want OP.

Some good general questions to answer:

-Where you are working?
-How much you are willing to spend on housing?
-How long of a commute you're willing to tolerate
-If you have kids: Private school or public school?
-What type of neighborhood environment you are looking for: small town feeling? small city excitement? suburbia delight?
-Community amenities important to you?
-Pie or cake? (the most important question of all haha)

I know you are emphasizing diversity, which describes a lot of areas in Cincinnati itself and in some of its suburbs too. But rarely does the same person who looks at OTR also look at Madisonville or Westwood, despite the fact that all of the three are diverse.

Good luck!

Old 09-03-2013, 05:04 PM

OP ... In your original profile profided you mentioned a gay-friendly neighborhood. In this day and age that should mean little difference, but in some areas it might far as feeling comfortable. I don't want to make a deal out of it, but it is a reality. If you are in a gay relationship, I advise being open about it and asking what neighborhoods are the most receptive which you can enjoy. If not, I apologize for jumping to conclusions.

Old 09-03-2013, 05:24 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,909,522 times
I think you will find that area to be an island, in terms of walkability. It also quickly drops off into sketchiness if you head west or north, so it might not properly tick your "safe" box (despite the immediate vicinity being fine, by my estimation). Since you said you're interested in nightlife, I'll say I think that's not a great area for that, since the nearest nightlife spots are at least a 20 minute walk away. Of course, a 20 minute walk is not the end of the world.

I think a poster on this board, Chemistry Guy, is very familiar with that specific area. Hopefully he shows up to help out.

Personally, I think you should find something closer to a business district which has amenities that match your preferences.

Rest assured the advice you're getting is gay-approved, as at least two of the people chiming in so far are intimately familiar with those issues.

Old 09-03-2013, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natininja View Post
I think you will find that area to be an island, in terms of walkability. It also quickly drops off into sketchiness if you head west or north, so it might not properly tick your "safe" box (despite the immediate vicinity being fine, by my estimation). Since you said you're interested in nightlife, I'll say I think that's not a great area for that, since the nearest nightlife spots are at least a 20 minute walk away. Of course, a 20 minute walk is not the end of the world.

I think a poster on this board, Chemistry Guy, is very familiar with that specific area. Hopefully he shows up to help out.

Personally, I think you should find something closer to a business district which has amenities that match your preferences.

Rest assured the advice you're getting is gay-approved, as at least two of the people chiming in so far are intimately familiar with those issues.
Hey that is great. Would'nt want to steer someone down a dark alley.

Old 09-04-2013, 05:16 PM

Kjbrill- I am currently in a gay relationship, so yes I am looking for a neighborhood that is receptive. Someplace where I don't have to watch my back.

OHKID- If you scroll up to my original post you will find that I have provided most of the information you have asked for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati