Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 07:36 PM

7,081 posts, read 8,944,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
They will probably be as bad as the lines I've seen on I 90 west of Boston and the New Hampshire tolls on I 95 in the summer. A literal nightmare of traffic. I 75 in Covington and Cincy will look like that.
I-90 to I-395 in Mass is a nightmare because of the toll backup. There are cash lanes and ez-pass lanes, after that it's a drag race as the cars go through. Toll booths aren't just inconveinient but a hazard as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2014, 09:48 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,832,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Very few large cities have any kind of toll bridge let alone one at a critical location on a major highway in the downtown area. None in fact.
Let's see...in NYC there are the Triboro, Whitestone, and Throgs Neck bridges in addition to the GW - not to mention the Holland and Lincoln tunnels in the "downtown area" - which all have tolls.
You can't drive north or east from San Francisco without paying to cross your chosen span.
And in Boston you have the Tobin Bridge connecting the North Shore suburbs to the city, unless Charlestown isn't "downtown" enough to count, and it links up with I-93.
I think three holes in that specious argument is enough.

As for merchants in Covington, they'd likely come out ahead. The small percentage of drivers on 75 who are actually headed there would use the Bailey or Suspension bridges while other toll dodgers would be treated to Greenup St, Mainstrasse, etc up close.

But because of the trucking lobby tolls on the Brent Spence aren't going to happen anyway.

Old 01-29-2014, 10:05 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
In Texas and Chicago, among others, they have OPEN ROAD TOLLING where no one has to stop for a toll if they get a transponder or they go online and pay the tolls.

That eliminates the hazards related to toll booths.

Old 01-30-2014, 05:29 AM

6,342 posts, read 11,089,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
Let's see...in NYC there are the Triboro, Whitestone, and Throgs Neck bridges in addition to the GW - not to mention the Holland and Lincoln tunnels in the "downtown area" - which all have tolls.
You can't drive north or east from San Francisco without paying to cross your chosen span.
And in Boston you have the Tobin Bridge connecting the North Shore suburbs to the city, unless Charlestown isn't "downtown" enough to count, and it links up with I-93.
I think three holes in that specious argument is enough.

As for merchants in Covington, they'd likely come out ahead. The small percentage of drivers on 75 who are actually headed there would use the Bailey or Suspension bridges while other toll dodgers would be treated to Greenup St, Mainstrasse, etc up close.

But because of the trucking lobby tolls on the Brent Spence aren't going to happen anyway.
Those bridges are not located in downtown Manhattan. Triboro is on Wards Island. The Whitestone in five miles east in the Bronx. Throggs Neck runs from the Bronx to Queens. Again, several miles outside of Manhattan. The GW is on the northern tip of Manhattan which is several miles to Midtown and certainly Lower Manhattan.

The Tobin runs from Chelsea to Charlestown. That is not downtown Boston though granted it is only about two miles to the downtown district. But that is hardly the heart of the downtown district or even considered a part of the downtown area. It's NW of the old North End which is arguably the edge of downtown. Some of these holes have been amply filled with concrete.

How are merchants going to come out ahead? Construction is going to discourage people from coming into Covington and existing residents likely will go to services in other areas to avoid the increase in traffic on local roads. I drive enough to know what road construction like this can do to the areas around it. Just the construction alone is going to cause a lot of businesses to lose customers for a couple of years. If anything if they have to rip off the drivers they should set up tolls on I 275 somewhere to pay for the cost of the bridge. Gives them some more of our money to mismanage eh?

People can try to rationalize all they want about how this project is going to have a minimal if not, beneficial impact on the areas around it. But that is not the case at least not while the construction is taking place. And the tolls especially at the prices they've quoted $1 to $2 per trip each way is going to cost people a lot of money if they have to commute that way every day for five days a week.

Old 01-30-2014, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
In Texas and Chicago, among others, they have OPEN ROAD TOLLING where no one has to stop for a toll if they get a transponder or they go online and pay the tolls.

That eliminates the hazards related to toll booths.
Yeah, except my point that not everyone has an EZ Pass is quite relevant. They are still going to need booths to collect tolls from people such as those from Canada (no doubt trucks pass through with Canadian plates) and people like myself that don't use EZ Pass. There is nothing in the law that requires someone to buy a transponder. This project is not only a major headache to NKY and downtown Cincy but a ripoff of the taxpayers of OH and KY.

Old 01-30-2014, 06:03 AM

1,606 posts, read 2,838,629 times
Just so you know. It would be tolled to get it built now or the next couple of years. if it's not tolled it will be 20 years before anything is constructed.

Old 01-30-2014, 06:05 AM

^^^ There is supposed to be Federal aid for public works projects like this. Where is it? Isn't this going to qualify as one of those "shovel ready jobs" that our President told us about?

Old 01-30-2014, 06:21 AM

If the people involved with this project had any sense, they'd build a tunnel under the river and put the highway in that. A small version of Boston's Big Dig. At least the impact on the downtown areas of Covington and Cincy would be lessened and it would open up land above the highway for development which in turn, the taxes could help fund the project.

Old 01-30-2014, 06:27 AM

3,866 posts, read 3,144,484 times
This is the downside of living in a automobile dependent nation.

Old 01-30-2014, 07:03 AM

2,194 posts, read 3,850,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coseau View Post
This is the downside of living in a automobile dependent nation.
Coseau--

No, it's the downside of having gasoline taxes fund mass transit, which it has been doing since 1983. Mass transit spending accounts for 20% of the money that goes into the "highway" trust fund. (source - 2.86 cents/gallon goes into Mass Transit Account). Another 2.5 cents of the gas tax goes to the general fund for deficit reduction. Those two account for at least a third of what should be in the road fund.

It's why gas taxes no longer cover the cost of road repairs and maintenance - because the money is being siphoned elsewhere.

Spend that money on replacing the Brent Spence and a couple other high-priority road projects. Problem solved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati