Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 04:41 PM

6,334 posts, read 11,081,286 times

Advertisements

I just found out today that they intend to make the new bridge a toll bridge. Are they insane? I can't find one city in this country that has a major north south highway that also contains a toll bridge in the downtown area. Not Philly. Not Boston. Not Chicago. Not one major city. Not even New York City.

This is going to lead to drivers diverting to city streets and other highways to avoid paying the toll. Covington's residential areas may see an unwanted increase in traffic by people that are looking for a shortcut over the river. This is not going to bring new shoppers or patrons to businesses into Covington either. It will discourage them from going there and they will opt for other shopping areas. And when the projected number of drivers for the bridge turns out to be thousand less each day then how will this project be paid off?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2014, 05:17 PM

307 posts, read 543,593 times
While it's far from a done deal this will likely happen, just a matter of the details. As far the info I've seen the bigger issue is Covington losing highway access so I'm not sure how much diversion to local roads you'd really have. But once again nothing is set in stone at this point. At while I'm not a fan of tolls most studies on tolls show that after a month or so of implementation traffic volumes are back up to normal, were creatures of habit after all.

Old 01-29-2014, 05:31 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,157,496 times
Chicago has the I-90 skyway that is a toll road, and there is a bypass to it if you are willing to take it by using I-80 / I-94.

Many of the bridges crossing the Delaware River into New Jersey from Philadelphia are toll, as is the Massachusetts Turnpike, the major east-west connector across the state into Boston, along with two of the bridges to Logan Airport. Most all of the ways out of New York City are toll as well, from the George Washington Bridge to the Lincoln Tunnel and more. For more info, check out this link:

Cost 2 Drive | US Tolls

Personally I am 100% for tolling the Brent Spence Bridge as it stands and NOT building a new bridge. Save money by diverting traffic onto I-471, and put the tolls to good use by financing upkeep and repair of the Brent Spence. If there comes a time that a new bridge is needed, so be it, but right now the bridge is not structurally deficient. Maybe even let the Brent Spence users finance the construction of its replacement through tolls paid if there is that much concern. But I do not see any reason whatsoever to build a new bridge when the I-471 bridge a mile away sits underutilized.

Old 01-29-2014, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeytraveler View Post
While it's far from a done deal this will likely happen, just a matter of the details. As far the info I've seen the bigger issue is Covington losing highway access so I'm not sure how much diversion to local roads you'd really have. But once again nothing is set in stone at this point. At while I'm not a fan of tolls most studies on tolls show that after a month or so of implementation traffic volumes are back up to normal, were creatures of habit after all.
You mean to say they are going to close either the 5th street or 12th street/Pike exits and on ramps? And not replace one or the other?

Old 01-29-2014, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHKID View Post
Chicago has the I-90 skyway that is a toll road, and there is a bypass to it if you are willing to take it by using I-80 / I-94.

Many of the bridges crossing the Delaware River into New Jersey from Philadelphia are toll, as is the Massachusetts Turnpike, the major east-west connector across the state into Boston, along with two of the bridges to Logan Airport. Most all of the ways out of New York City are toll as well, from the George Washington Bridge to the Lincoln Tunnel and more. For more info, check out this link:

Cost 2 Drive | US Tolls

Personally I am 100% for tolling the Brent Spence Bridge as it stands and NOT building a new bridge. Save money by diverting traffic onto I-471, and put the tolls to good use by financing upkeep and repair of the Brent Spence. If there comes a time that a new bridge is needed, so be it, but right now the bridge is not structurally deficient. Maybe even let the Brent Spence users finance the construction of its replacement through tolls paid if there is that much concern. But I do not see any reason whatsoever to build a new bridge when the I-471 bridge a mile away sits underutilized.
The I 90 Skyway in Chicago starts and ends about 5 miles from downtown near the South Shore area.

I'd have less of a problem with your proposal than the one being thrown around now. This current proposal is going to do a lot of damage to the business community in Covington and probably downtown Cincinnati as well. Totally foolish and short sighted.

Years ago I 95 in Connecticut was a toll road. But the heavy volume of traffic led to numerous accidents and ultimately a serious fatal one at a toll plaza in Fairfield County. Many people died. That led to the toll booths being removed. Due to the volume of traffic on I 75, even if they use license plate readers or some other thing like a sticker reader that some vehicles will have to pay the toll, most cars and especially those that are from out of the KY, OH area will have to use a traditional toll booth to stop and pay the toll. Wait until you see the length of the lines that form on this highway. They will probably be as bad as the lines I've seen on I 90 west of Boston and the New Hampshire tolls on I 95 in the summer. A literal nightmare of traffic. I 75 in Covington and Cincy will look like that.

Old 01-29-2014, 06:15 PM

4,023 posts, read 1,441,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHKID View Post
I471 isn't a mile away. Going north or south requires you to take 275 in Kentucky either east or west which adds about ten minutes on a good day. Also I471 can't handle much more traffic than it is already carrying, not without making the backups as long as current I75.

Old 01-29-2014, 06:15 PM

1,606 posts, read 2,837,460 times
There will not be any booths. It will be all electronic and photos.

Old 01-29-2014, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unusualfire View Post
There will not be any booths. It will be all electronic and photos.
I wonder what happens when someone from let's say Manitoba drives over the bridge. How are they going to be paying for their ride? And how is it going to be announced along the highway? Will drivers be given ample warning that a toll bridge is up ahead allowing them at least one or two exits in advance to exit the highway to avoid paying the toll?

Old 01-29-2014, 06:53 PM

1,584 posts, read 1,972,616 times
Tolls are a great idea to build the bridge. Make the people who use, pay for it. What a novel idea! Seemingly ever other large city has a toll road, bridge or tunnel. Why not Cinti?????

Old 01-29-2014, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashes1 View Post
Tolls are a great idea to build the bridge. Make the people who use, pay for it. What a novel idea! Seemingly ever other large city has a toll road, bridge or tunnel. Why not Cinti?????
Well, I think that is precisely what the tax on gasoline is for not to mention some other taxes they have on the books. Very few large cities have any kind of toll bridge let alone one at a critical location on a major highway in the downtown area. None in fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati