Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 02:05 PM

19 posts, read 35,154 times

Advertisements

Hi! My family and I are relocating to the Cincinnati area from the Atlanta area in the next 1-2 months. My husband's office will be in the Reading area, and we are looking at the northern suburbs. Any advice on where to look and where to avoid? Good schools are important as we have two small children, our daughter will start kindergarten in the fall. We also like to have access to some good restaurants and shopping, but schools are most important. And also, what would a "normal" commute time be from the Reading area to the Mason/West Chester/Liberty Twp area? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2014, 02:34 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,834,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmn0722 View Post
Hi! My family and I are relocating to the Cincinnati area from the Atlanta area in the next 1-2 months. My husband's office will be in the Reading area, and we are looking at the northern suburbs. Any advice on where to look and where to avoid? Good schools are important as we have two small children, our daughter will start kindergarten in the fall. We also like to have access to some good restaurants and shopping, but schools are most important. And also, what would a "normal" commute time be from the Reading area to the Mason/West Chester/Liberty Twp area? Thanks!
I believe if you are truly talking Reading, 20 - 25 minutes, even taking Route 42 instead of the expressway.

There are plenty of restaurants and shopping in the West Chester/Mason/Liberty Twp area.I will be assailed for recommending these areas, as I always am since I live in Mason. But you hit the nail on the head, the reason people move here is the quality of the schools. Your children may be young, but they grow quickly. In addition to the areas you mention, I will bring up Deerfield Township, between I-75 and I-71. Much of it is in the Mason City School District, and the shopping area is nothing to sneeze at.

Just to satisfy your curiosity, you should take a look at Blue Ash and Montgomery. Both are a reasonable commute to Reading, and they also have a fine school district. But I believe once you see the prices there you will revert to your original idea of a Northeast Suburb.

Good luck in planning your move.

In your circumstance, what would be the areas I would avoid? Forest Park, Fairfield, Reading itself, Sharonville, Glendale, and Princeton Schools.

Also Wyoming. Wyoming has a highly rated school district. But its three biggest claims to fame are: (1) it is an independent city, (2) it has its own school district independent of CPS, and (3) it is relatively close to downtown and the jobs people want a close commute to there. I have seen nothing here these are major items to you. So don't pay those prices, you have so many places to select from.

Last edited by kjbrill; 03-03-2014 at 03:54 PM..

Old 03-03-2014, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
I believe if you are truly talking Reading, 20 - 25 minutes, even taking Route 42 instead of the expressway.

There are plenty of restaurants and shopping in the West Chester/Mason/Liberty Twp area.I will be assailed for recommending these areas, as I always am since I live in Mason. But you hit the nail on the head, the reason people move here is the quality of the schools. Your children may be young, but they grow quickly. In addition to the areas you mention, I will bring up Deerfield Township, between I-75 and I-71. Much of it is in the Mason City School District, and the shopping area is nothing to sneeze at.

Just to satisfy your curiosity, you should take a look at Blue Ash and Montgomery. Both are a reasonable commute to Reading, and they also have a fine school district. But I believe once you see the prices there you will revert to your original idea of a Northeast Suburb.

Good luck in planning your move.

In your circumstance, what would be the areas I would avoid? Forest Park, Fairfield, Reading itself, Sharonville, Glendale, and Princeton Schools.

Also Wyoming. Wyoming has a highly rated school district. But its three biggest claims to fame are: (1) it is an independent city, (2) it has its own school district independent pf CPS, and (3) it is relatively close to downtown and the jobs people want to commute there. I have seen nothing here these are major items to you. So don't pay those prices, you have so many places to select from.
Thanks so much! We have been browsing online at homes in Blue Ash and Montgomery, but you are right, you definitely get more bang for your buck the further out you go!

As far as the 20-25 minute commute, is that with "rush hour" traffic? Or is there much of a rush hour in that area? My husband's commute right now is about 50 minutes yet is only 18 miles, so anything better than that would be lovely!

Old 03-03-2014, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmn0722 View Post
Thanks so much! We have been browsing online at homes in Blue Ash and Montgomery, but you are right, you definitely get more bang for your buck the further out you go!

As far as the 20-25 minute commute, is that with "rush hour" traffic? Or is there much of a rush hour in that area? My husband's commute right now is about 50 minutes yet is only 18 miles, so anything better than that would be lovely!
It is not going to take 50 minutes here to go 18 miles. Maybe in Atlanta, but this is not Atlanta. Some of the Reading northward can slow down. But the backroads streets are simply not wide enough to cause that kind of conjestion.

Old 03-03-2014, 03:07 PM

Thank you kjbrill, I really appreciate your help! Atlanta traffic is a nightmare.... one thing I will not miss!

Also, here are the answers to my newcomer questions, I guess I didn't start this thread right!

Have you searched this forum for answers to your questions before posting a new inquiry? YES
. What specific topic have you not found answers to? COMMUTE TIMES AND TRAFFIC

. Where is you current location and environment? NORTHERN ATLANTA SUBURBS, LOTS OF NEWNESS DEVELOPING AROUND US, VERY GOOD SCHOOLS
. Are you looking for similar in Cincinnati or a change? SIMILAR

. Where will your work location be? READING
. Maximum commute time desired? 30 MIN

. What is you budget for housing?
$400K OR LESS
. Rent or buy? BUY
. Type (Apt., Condo, Single Family) SINGLE FAMILY
. Size (Approx. Sq. Ft., # Bedrooms & Baths) >2500 SQ FT, 4+ BED, 2.5+ BATH
. Other specifics? NICE YARD

. Neighborhood environment?
. Urban, young professional, nightlife NO
. Mid-urban, close in neighborhood or suburb, stable investment YES
. Suburban, low maintenance, quiet streets, soccer mom atmosphere YES
. Family oriented YES
. Lots of same age kids, activities YES
. Great schools YES
. Older, distinctive architecture, individual character DOESN'T MATTER TO US
. Modern, 15 yrs old or less, move-in ready PREFER MOVE-IN READY BUT DOESN'T HAVE TO BE BRAND NEW
. Diversity of income, race, housing? DIVERSITY IS GREAT WITH US AS LONG AS SAFE
. Yard - none, small, large (1/2 acre or more) MID TO LARGE
. Very safe, low crime area? YES
. Can tolerate some degree of crime potential? How Much? AS LITTLE AS POSSIBLE!
. Private neighborhood association, swimming & fitness facilities SWIMMING AND FITNESS IS NICE BUT NOT NECESSARY

. Schools? HIGH RANKED PUBLIC
. Not applicable
. High Ranked Public schools
. Small or large district? EITHER
. Diverse student body? EITHER
. Strong athletics? YES
. Consider Private schools? NO
. Special considerations? NONE

. Community amenities?
. Daily needs within walking distance, shopping, restaurants, parks, etc. NO
. Town/city community center for adults & kids WOULD BE NICE BUT NOT NECESSARY
. Swimming, fitness center, running track, adult activities YES
. Nearby fitness centers & clubs YES
. Close promity to public transportation? NO
. Lots of parks & youth athletic leagues YES
. Jogging & biking trails YES
. Other?

. Specific wants/desires?
. Please identify any specific wants/desires not mentioned above.

Old 03-03-2014, 03:37 PM

bmn0722....

When I see what you have checked off as the important factors in you life, I go hmmn. There are so many resolutions with what you desire, whether it is Mason, West Chester, or Liberty Twp. West Chester and Liberty Twp are obviously both township jurisdictions. But they have some very nice YM/YWCA organizations which provide their need for a community center. Mason, is of course a city, and the Mason Community Center need take a backseat to noone.

Before you make a decision, you definitely have to spend some time here and look around. All of these areas have a lot of parks, and organized activities for the kids.

What you will not find here, the proverbial walkable community for daily needs. Another thing you will not find is close proximity to public transportation. These are not our bag. What you will find, everything is within a very short distance, normally not more than a 5 minute drive.

Old 03-03-2014, 04:03 PM

It sounds like we have our search started in the right direction! Thanks again for your help, I really appreciate it!

Old 03-03-2014, 04:12 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,173,639 times
Hi, welcome to Cincinnati!

I'm just going to add a couple points to consider.

1. I wouldn't overlook Loveland if I was you. Very nice community and good schools there. Plus it's not that bad of a commute from Reading, probably easier than dealing with I-75 traffic.

2. Between the three locales you mentioned, Mason definitely feel the most "planned". Aesthetically it's easier on the eyes than the other two overall, but none of the three are bad looking. Mason is also the most regulate of the three as well.

3. Glendale and Wyoming would also be worth a look too. Glendale is in Princeton Schools, and Wyoming has their own district.

Good luck!

Old 03-03-2014, 04:59 PM

108 posts, read 154,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
It is not going to take 50 minutes here to go 18 miles. Maybe in Atlanta, but this is not Atlanta. Some of the Reading northward can slow down. But the backroads streets are simply not wide enough to cause that kind of conjestion.
It does take you 50 min to go 18 miles here in Cincinnati...
Seems like everyone has talked to everything but weather, of course as you know Cincinnati is much more colder and snowier than Atlanta, this year we got 46 inches of snow so get ready for the worst period of your life from November to March.

Old 03-04-2014, 06:19 AM

1,584 posts, read 1,977,747 times
Given your preferences, I recommend Mason and Kings schools. Mason, if you're okay with big schools (27 kids in each class---the great teachers in the district handle it fine), and Kings schools for smaller class sizes. You'll be a little closer to shopping and Life Time Fitness in Mason but more difficult to find what I consider a "treed" property (possible, but more challenging). Kings is the opposite--a little farther from stores, but prettier properties. Both towns have newer housing stock, but more housing developments in Mason might be closer to entrance ramps onto 71.

If you end up choosing Mason, and really want to fine tune things, I'd suggest your husband ask his future collegues if it's easier to get to their office building from the North from I-71 or I-75. If 75 is easier, then look for a house on the Western side of Mason.....something between Butler-Warren Rd. and Mason-Montgomery (I don't recall your price point), but there's a nice housing development on Butler-Warren Rd. between Mason Rd. and Tylersville Rd.) $300,000 range. Look along Mason Road and Bethany Road.....Whispering Springs is a nice neighborhood in the $400,000-$550,000 range.

If it's easier to get to the office building from I-71, look for something East of Mason-Montgomery----specifically White Blossom housing development ($350,000 range), Golden Meadow Dr ($300,000), Lexington Park Blvd. ($300,000 - $400,000), Avalon ($400,000) ----these are the best locations in Mason, IMO.....super easy to get to 71, but very close to shopping and LifeTime Fitness. These neighborhoods feed onto the Fields-Ertel Exit to 71. Be warned that the Fields-Ertel exit ramps will be under construction for the next year or so, but they should be much improved.

Moving one exit North on 71 (Western Row exit---next to Kings Island---or the next one North called the Kings Mills exit) are neighborhoods off Parkside Drive, but this area is a little further away from prime shopping areas such as Deerfield Town Center.

Mason housing stock in the $280,000-$400,000 range is very hot right now. I sold mine 14-18 months ago (when the market was cooler) and it was on the market for 5 days. If you're in the +$500,000 range, it's a much slower market, and some deals to be found if you find a motivated seller. I noticed a former UC football coach now at UT had his house on the market recently....less than a week, and it was under contract....not sure what the purchase price was....but the asking price was a lot higher than I expected, so I'm curious what it will close at. We're entering the busy time of year for real estate, so expect more and more listings to hit the MLS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati