Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 06:29 AM

6,344 posts, read 11,097,560 times

Advertisements

Looks like Corporate America wants it while state and local legislators do not. And certainly most small business owners in Covington don't want it tolled either. Some interesting comments by local people follow the article.

http://nky.cincinnati.com/article/AB...t-Spence-tolls
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2014, 06:53 AM

2,194 posts, read 3,851,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Looks like Corporate America wants it while state and local legislators do not. And certainly most small business owners in Covington don't want it tolled either. Some interesting comments by local people follow the article.

http://nky.cincinnati.com/article/AB...t-Spence-tolls
The federal highway trust fund wouldn't run out of money if the government stop siphoning off gasoline taxes for other projects.

Of the 18 cents a gallon we pay in federal gas taxes, 2.5 cents goes to deficit reduction and another 2.5 cents goes to a "Mass Transit Account", subsidizing projects other than roads. So, in other words, 5 cents - or about a third of the gasoline taxes - don't go to pay for road construction or maintenance. Coincidentally, that's about how much of a shortfall the highway trust fund has - a third.

The Big Mac Bridge is calling my name if they toll the Brent Spence's replacement. Sticking the Cincinnati-NKY region with a bill that should be shouldered by the federal government is not the way to go, since the road serves a LOT of thru traffic. If they rerouted all thru traffic around 275 you would solve the traffic problems overnight, because the bridge is "functionally obsolete", not structurally in danger or anything.

Old 02-27-2014, 07:06 AM

860 posts, read 1,358,502 times
Why don't they just build a tunnel, for crying out loud. They're already gonna spend billions on this s***. At least put it underground, so that it doesnt kill off anymore prime real estate.

Old 02-27-2014, 08:07 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,809,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austiNati View Post
Why don't they just build a tunnel, for crying out loud. They're already gonna spend billions on this s***. At least put it underground, so that it doesnt kill off anymore prime real estate.
Drilling a tunnel under the river? Just how does this super expensive project solve anything? How many lanes do you project this tunnel support? A two lane tunnel - maybe. A tunnel to support even the current traffic of the Brent Spence - hardly. A tunnel to support the projected traffic of the Brent Spence, you are out there in la-la land cost-wise.

And also tunnels with this capacity also need approaches and exits on both sides of the river. So there is little reduction in cost there.

Old 02-27-2014, 11:38 AM

16,394 posts, read 30,292,455 times
It would be stupid to toll it as there are so many other bridges over the river. Do you want truck traffic to detour onto city streets?

Actually, according to many of my trucker friends hauling out of Chicago, most make a conscious effort to avoid Cincinnati, preferring to head south through Louisville. That translates to less road tax for Ohio.

Old 02-27-2014, 01:28 PM

3,763 posts, read 12,553,942 times
The answer with tolls is that you toll everywhere, so there's no way to avoid it.

Pennsylvania used to primarily have tolls around Philly, but they've crept in around Pittsburgh as well.

Personally, I'd still take the Brent Spence (even with a toll) if it were the most convenient way for me to get where I was going. If not, I'd take another bridge.

The toll will likely be fairly reasonable.

More concerned with where they'd put the toll gates/etc in order to keep traffic flowing. (hardly help traffic in this region to have a huge stop on either side of the bridge).

Old 02-27-2014, 03:39 PM

1,716 posts, read 3,585,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briolat21 View Post
The answer with tolls is that you toll everywhere, so there's no way to avoid it.

Pennsylvania used to primarily have tolls around Philly, but they've crept in around Pittsburgh as well.

Personally, I'd still take the Brent Spence (even with a toll) if it were the most convenient way for me to get where I was going. If not, I'd take another bridge.

The toll will likely be fairly reasonable.

More concerned with where they'd put the toll gates/etc in order to keep traffic flowing. (hardly help traffic in this region to have a huge stop on either side of the bridge).

It would be a camera that takes a picture of your license plate and sends you a bill later.

Old 02-27-2014, 04:35 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,809,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Luxury View Post
It would be a camera that takes a picture of your license plate and sends you a bill later.
Sounds the same as a speed camera. I thought these were illegal. OK, I get it, ifyou are just passing through they can bill you. However, if ypu are violating the law and speeding they cannot. Makes sense to me.

Old 02-27-2014, 05:01 PM

7,081 posts, read 8,950,769 times
Toll booths are a bad idea, very bad idea. No cameras, there would be EZ Pass lanes and cash lanes, traffic backups as you approach the booth and a drag race after you pass through. The local planners should consider driving from the Mass Pike to I-495 or I-95 during rush hour for a fact finding mission before instituting a toll. Of course Boston is bigger than Cincinnati and the drivers are a lot crazier there.

Old 02-27-2014, 08:06 PM

224 posts, read 297,568 times
I don't care for the idea of tolls, but hey, automobile Nirvana ain't cheap. Especially when the powers that be opted to give corporations bailouts several years ago instead of investing in infrastructure like road improvements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati