Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 06:17 PM

6 posts, read 31,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlrosen View Post
care to explain?
Besides City West being in the West End on the site of the former Lincoln Courts and Laurel Homes housing projects and being 40% inhabited by those same residents. It's almost totally surrounded by the hood. West End, OTR. The housing prices are bananas. My wife and I looked at a townhome down there and they wanted over 300k for a 4 bd 2/1 ba. It only had a one car garage and shared a wall with the next door neighbors.There's a reason why they haven't sold the neighborhood out in the 5 years of City West. You can get a bigger home in a nicer neighborhood with less noise, traffic, congestion and confusion for 100k less in any number of city neighborhoods. Do you know what kind of home you can get for 200k in Mt. Airy, Bond Hill, Paddock Hills, College Hill, Walnut Hills, Oakley, Westwood, Mt. Lookout? Your choice of elementary schools isn't very good either. Do you know why there's a street called Derrick Turnbow Dr.? I bet you wouldn't have suggested City West for a white family looking for an affluent area. City West? Cut the games.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2007, 06:31 PM

710 posts, read 3,046,440 times
199k for a 3 bed 3.5 bath in city west with a 15 year tax abatement. mls # 1063452

Thats about as close to downtown as you can get. I think that is an area where students are voucher eligible so you can send you kid anywhere.

If it wasn't for the kids, I would have recommended Prospect Hill in Mt. Auburn. I had already suggested Paddock Hills and North Avondale, but they were considered too far away.

Old 12-11-2007, 06:36 PM

6 posts, read 31,824 times
Almost forgot the 2 most slept on communities. If you're truly upper income consider Amberley Village. It's a 10 minute drive to downtown by expressway. The people are friendly and if you have the money to move their you will feel really uppercrust living there. There are just enough rich black people to not feel foreign. It's 75% surrounded by middle class black neighborhoods so you can't feel isolated. Check Sibcy Clines' realtor site and look at how nice the neighborhood looks. But expect to spend at least 300k. When you tell people (black or white) that you live in Amberley the will be in complete aww of you. Unless they live in Indian Hills or Hyde Park. If you don't have that kind of dough look at Pleasant Ridge. It's right next to Amberley Village. Very nice neighborhood with a lot of middle income blacks and stately homes. Hope it helps

Last edited by BHILLBOY37; 12-11-2007 at 06:39 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 12-11-2007, 06:41 PM

I wouldn't recommend Amberley Village because it doesn't have sidewalks.

I would recommend Pleasant Ridge

Old 12-11-2007, 07:13 PM

205 posts, read 984,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HWilliams77 View Post
I was in Cincinnati all last week looking for places to live (I am relocating with Fifth Third Bank, will be working Downtown at Fountain Square)...and found that Cincy is veru segregated.

My family and I (me, my husband, and 6 yr old daughter) are from Chicago. We are wondering, what are the affluent african american communities in Cincinnati...or does that exist? How comfortable or uncomfortable would we feel living in Northern Kentucky? How would my daughter be treated in school (she's in kindergarten). We went to Cracker Barrel in Florence KY and didn't feel too welcome...actually we got hate stares a lot of places we went. It seems Cincy/NKY has the "down south" mentality more so than the Chi area.

We are just trying to find a nice place to move where I can be close to work and my daughter can be in a nice school. BTW - we are renting when we first move down.

Any help is much appreciated! Thanks.
As far as the "hate stares", the Cracker Barrel in Florence is on the interstate and I would suspect that maybe 80-90% of the customers there at any given time do not live anywhere near the area.

I think your daughter would be treated fine almost anywhere in the area (I live in KY and I have had many Black and bi-racial foster children and there has never been an issue).

Not sure why you are so concerned - past bad experience in Chicago?

Old 12-11-2007, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWilliams77 View Post
I was in Cincinnati all last week looking for places to live (I am relocating with Fifth Third Bank, will be working Downtown at Fountain Square)...and found that Cincy is veru segregated.

My family and I (me, my husband, and 6 yr old daughter) are from Chicago. We are wondering, what are the affluent african american communities in Cincinnati...or does that exist? How comfortable or uncomfortable would we feel living in Northern Kentucky? How would my daughter be treated in school (she's in kindergarten). We went to Cracker Barrel in Florence KY and didn't feel too welcome...actually we got hate stares a lot of places we went. It seems Cincy/NKY has the "down south" mentality more so than the Chi area.

We are just trying to find a nice place to move where I can be close to work and my daughter can be in a nice school. BTW - we are renting when we first move down.

Any help is much appreciated! Thanks.
BTW, if you were to ask that question of a Real Estate Professional (Realtor, Mortgage Broker, Lender, etc.) and they answered it, they would be in violation of State and Federal Fair Housing and Civil Rights Laws.

No different than a White family asking to see the "comfortable" White neighborhoods.

Old 12-11-2007, 09:25 PM

46 posts, read 194,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by franke01 View Post
As far as the "hate stares", the Cracker Barrel in Florence is on the interstate and I would suspect that maybe 80-90% of the customers there at any given time do not live anywhere near the area.

I think your daughter would be treated fine almost anywhere in the area (I live in KY and I have had many Black and bi-racial foster children and there has never been an issue).

Not sure why you are so concerned - past bad experience in Chicago?
No...haven't had any bad experiences in Chicago which is why I'm asking...just want to make sure that we aren't going to have any. I just don't want my daughter to have to face racism issues at such a young age b/c she will look different than everyone in the class.

Old 12-11-2007, 09:26 PM

46 posts, read 194,889 times
Default As far as City West...

I drove by there when in Cincy and yes the property itself isn't bad...but I definitely wouldn't move there. It's definitely the hood! I don't want to live anywhere where they accept Section 8.

Old 12-11-2007, 09:27 PM

they accept section 8 everywhere, you have to, it is against the law to refuse a section 8 voucher

Old 12-12-2007, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlrosen View Post
they accept section 8 everywhere, you have to, it is against the law to refuse a section 8 voucher
I asked the director of a local Housing Authority Section 8 office about this and she said that is not true. Landlords do not have to accept section 8 vouchers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati