Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2014, 02:34 PM

44 posts, read 68,389 times

Advertisements

It looks like I will have some free time on my hands over the next month or so, and I'm interested in learning how to play golf. I have clubs and took a class from continuing ed in the town where I lived at the time, but the instructor was kind of a jerk and it was something I was squeezing into my schedule, so I just let it go. I am thinking now will be a good time to revisit. I don't mind going to Cincinnati, as long as I can stay within a reasonable drive from my house. So, as far as Eastgate, east and as far north as maybe Clifton. Any suggestions on where to get started?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2014, 03:12 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,813,452 times
I suggest you find a nice driving range near to where you live. Most good size driving ranges have a resident golf pro. Doesn't mean they can play like those on the tour but they are perfectly capable of teaching the proper technique for playing the game, and that is what you are after. You will need several lessons so inquire about a multi-leasson price before you begin. Also consult the public courses near you like Devou Park. They also typically have a resident pro who gives lessons.

Consult with the pro concerning how long it has been since you played. If he is any kind of teacher he will start over with how to grip the club and address the ball. The fundamentals are definitely important. Don't be anxious about playing a game. You could easily go the rest of the season without your teacher actually observing you play a game of golf.

Golf is a game of repetition. You just have to insure you are repeating the right motion sequences and not the bad. That is why you need a professional observor. If you get off on a wrong apprach you will likely say why can't I hit that #$&%(+)@<" blankety-blank ball and give up.

Look at Tiger Woods. He was World's #1 for how long? He literally intiminated everyone else on tour. Like us, the rest of the pros expected him to win. I am sure he would say he is doing the same things as when he was dominant. But obviously something is different. If the #1 golfer in the world can't figure it out, what chance do you think you have?

Old 07-28-2014, 04:20 PM

Thanks. Don't think I have any chance of that. That's why I want someone who's kind and willing to help me figure it out, instead of being a jerk of a golf snob like the last guy. There's a guy that works up at Perfect North coordinating the ski lessons who does golf in the spring-fall. If I knew where to find him, I'd love it. He is a cool, friendly guy on the slopes, and I'd expect he'd be the same on the links. As for my ability, I would like to be able to play a hole without I wishing I were using my driver till I got to the putting green so that I could cover the distance in a reasonable amount of time/strokes.

I will google search and see what local courses are nearby.

Old 07-28-2014, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by home4frog View Post
Thanks. Don't think I have any chance of that. That's why I want someone who's kind and willing to help me figure it out, instead of being a jerk of a golf snob like the last guy. There's a guy that works up at Perfect North coordinating the ski lessons who does golf in the spring-fall. If I knew where to find him, I'd love it. He is a cool, friendly guy on the slopes, and I'd expect he'd be the same on the links. As for my ability, I would like to be able to play a hole without I wishing I were using my driver till I got to the putting green so that I could cover the distance in a reasonable amount of time/strokes.

I will google search and see what local courses are nearby.
The biggest problem those just starting (or starting over) experience is anxiety. They want success to be immediate. Golf is not that way. You will not have immediate success, just resolve yourself to that. Then you might have success over the long term. Get an instructor and listen to him. The more you listen and the less you talk, the better you have a chance of success.

Old 07-30-2014, 10:22 AM

Yes, maybe this is the perfect time compared to 15 years ago. What appeals to me most now is the quiet of the game. I met a woman recently who is in her career about where I was back then, and she was near frantic in her pace, even at a park on a play date with our sons. I think the past 7 years being at home and attempting to enjoy the quiet and the time at home with my son has mellowed me a lot. The first two years I was still constantly searching for something else to be doing even while I was with him. I've slowed down enough to appreciate it more, now that he is moving in the other direction and spreading his wings more and more. It is bittersweet to see him become more confident and independent.

Old 07-30-2014, 12:24 PM

OP ...

Probably the worst thing you can do is listen to advice from others who play golf, unless they are really, really good. Many people think they know the game, but if they really did they wouldn't shoot such lousy scores. Call Perfect North Slopes and see if they know where that golf instructor is working during the summer. Sounds like you have some confidence he would be patient with you.

Find an instructor and start taking lessons. Watch the results of the lessons on the driving range, not the golf course. When you can take a given club and hit the ball to a marker on the range 8 out of 10 times you might be ready to play a round of golf. Golf looks like an easy game, it is not. Look at how many Pros basically quit at a given age because they can no longer execute, their body won't let them. Due to the letdown they cannot perform at the highest level many of them refuse to play a casual game of golf, a sad loss for them.

Old 08-09-2014, 08:07 AM

OP ...

Did you decide to take up golf again or withdraw back as a couch potato?

If you are concerned about the likelihood of success, just look at Tiger Woods. Greatest golfer in the world and he misses the cut at the PGA. Just keep telling yourself I am not Tiger Woods so pure enjoyment of the game is why I am pursuing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati