Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2014, 07:00 PM

1,130 posts, read 2,544,072 times

Advertisements

I'm not remotely convinced that this is a UC policing problem. It's called campus "security" for a reason. I don't expect university police to be as highly trained and professional as CPD, State Police, or most other municipal police forces. Campus cops, or "seekies" as we derisively called them at Miami, are there to provide a basic security presence for the well being of the student body on campus. To expect them to exercise the same kind of police presence and deploy the same resources as might be expected from CPD in halting crime in surrounding neighborhoods is ludicrous. What do you want next, Wilson? UC to equip a SWAT team??? I expect the campus police to protect kids on campus. CPD is primarily responsible for the rest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2014, 07:40 PM

1,606 posts, read 2,839,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
Nonsense. I was on the campus in the 60's and lived with friends in Corryville and parked on the side streets around the campus.

There were the Corryville Rats who roamed around at night in gangs of four or more, looking for a fight. But, I never one time even heard of an armed robbery of a student in the seven years I was on campus. We have have had four in the past two weeks.

Goyguy, you need to learn to hold comments to things you actually know something about.
There was no internet back then either to drive hits to a news website. That stuff did happen.

Old 10-17-2014, 08:02 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,480,869 times
If someone put me in charge, I'd data map out the student off campus housing within walking distance, and the bars, restaurants and services locations, weigh the frequency of students present at diffferent times of the day, the location of previous crimes and police responses, a subjective factor of ease of escape such as down through Innwood Park, Fairvieew Park, MLK or Vine Street, perhaps others, and put a marked patrol car on the streets with randomized patrol patterns based on the results of those factors such that the high risk areas would see the presence of police every 5 or 10 minutes, low risk areas every 20-30 minutes. I bet it could be done with three police cars. I'd do it round the clock, except maybe 7am to 12 pm when, as we all know, the thugs are snoozing.

Its probably half or a quarter of the saturation that we have on Vine in OTR right now.

Oh, and by the way. UC police currently patrol the UC Gallery all the way down at 8th and Sycamore Sts.

Old 10-18-2014, 03:46 AM

3,867 posts, read 3,146,011 times
Quote:
If someone put me in charge, I'd data map out the student off campus housing within walking distance, and the bars, restaurants and services locations, weigh the frequency of students present at diffferent times of the day, the location of previous crimes and police responses, a subjective factor of ease of escape such as down through Innwood Park, Fairvieew Park, MLK or Vine Street, perhaps others, and put a marked patrol car on the streets with randomized patrol patterns based on the results of those factors such that the high risk areas would see the presence of police every 5 or 10 minutes, low risk areas every 20-30 minutes. I bet it could be done with three police cars. I'd do it round the clock, except maybe 7am to 12 pm when, as we all know, the thugs are snoozing.

Its probably half or a quarter of the saturation that we have on Vine in OTR right now.
Oh, and by the way. UC police currently patrol the UC Gallery all the way down at 8th and Sycamore Sts.
I agree. It would take very little police officer manpower to end this situation and way more cost effective than spending millions in buying whole tracts of neighborhoods. It always been in the back of my mind that 3 police cruisers roaming the streets would put an end to this non sense. Also there is a thing called security cameras that is a lot cheaper long term. You have to wonder if there is a hidden agenda why this isn't being done. This sort of remind me when I arrived at Camp Lejeune North Carolina they warned us boots not to carry large amounts of cash and to travel in groups when walking from the smaller base of Camp Geiger into Jacksonville NC. Fellow Marines from the Fleet would roam around in cars looking to jump and rob boots fresh out of Boot Camp. Reading the newspaper I was shocked at the amount of serious crime in towns right outside military bases.

Last edited by Coseau; 10-18-2014 at 04:24 AM..

Old 10-18-2014, 05:00 AM

Here is the latest pathetic response from UC and the CPD:

Read More at: Police using mobile lights to prevent crime - Local 12 WKRC-TV Cincinnati - Top Stories
"Hours before the sun sets, police light up the corner of Digby Avenue and Joselin Avenue, hoping that the lights will make would-be robbers think twice about committing a crime. “It’s a start,” said Nathan Johnson. “I mean it's better than nothing at all, you got to start somewhere.” Nathan and his dog Hank frequently walk the neighborhood. Even after the arrest of the Two Gun gang, a group of teenagers who police say committed a dozen robberies around campus; there is still a reason to keep working the beat."

Old 10-18-2014, 12:15 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,162,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t45209 View Post
Campus cops, or "seekies" as we derisively called them at Miami
Hilarious! I've been at Miami for a while and I've never heard them called "seekies". I wished people still called them that though, great nickname.

We lamely refer to them as "MUPD". After hearing UD calls theirs "public safety", it did kinda make me wish there was a least a cool nickname for ours...

Old 10-18-2014, 12:18 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,162,738 times
Quote:

Sounds like a good idea, but that would take a team of engineers. Civil engineers in particular would make sense, along with some architects and urban planners possibly.

Wilson, do you have any connections at UC? This would make a great Senior design project for a civil team or two in the department. And it'd be a heck of a lot easier / cheaper than hiring consultants.

Old 10-18-2014, 12:19 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
we have dozens of thugs prowling USD daily that are not students. our wonderful improvement on campus was running the trolley to the campus, now we have lots of new faces on campus whether they belong there or not.

Old 10-18-2014, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHKID View Post
Sounds like a good idea, but that would take a team of engineers. Civil engineers in particular would make sense, along with some architects and urban planners possibly.

Wilson, do you have any connections at UC? This would make a great Senior design project for a civil team or two in the department. And it'd be a heck of a lot easier / cheaper than hiring consultants.
No connections at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
we have dozens of thugs prowling USD daily that are not students. our wonderful improvement on campus was running the trolley to the campus, now we have lots of new faces on campus whether they belong there or not.

When i was an undergraduate, we got this "brilliant east coast liberal President, Warren Bennis, who decided that UC should be more a prt of the community. He took down all of the gates, fences, stopped checking ID's, and after that you couldn't put a book bag down at your table in the food service areas in the SU without one of the little junior thugs from Hughes walking off with it. Armed robbery is something quite new.

Bennis was a moron.

Old 10-18-2014, 06:50 PM

76 posts, read 121,476 times
I was a UC student a few years ago. I always carried a can of mace and a very sharp pen in my pockets for a "just in case" scenario. Fortunately such a scenario never happened, but then again I never really hung around the campus at night, and I ALWAYS avoided black people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati