Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 11:09 AM

3 posts, read 11,015 times

Advertisements

I would like to add a few things to my post above.

If you have good job offer in hand and are seriously contemplating the move, you can do no wrong by moving to Cincy. It is a very livable city and also a very good place to raise a family. Don't let the issue of crime hold you back. Like I said above, crime is not really an issue in the city once you are out of the inner city areas.

It is by far the best city in the midwest outside of Chicago. I also consider it one of the most beautiful cities in America after San Francisco and Seattle.

P.S - just so you know, it is very expensive getting in and out of Cincy by air. Delta has a monopoly on the city. I would vist more often but I can't justify the $500 it costs me to fly in and out. I don't know why the city puts up with this? Southwest or Jetblue could make a killing there.

Old 04-12-2008, 11:09 PM

17 posts, read 62,586 times
Thanks for all the information. I appreciate the time you all took to share with me.

We're still planning our move, despite the few negative things we have read. Worst case, we move again. In all honesty, I highly doubt anyone that complains of crime and traffic in Cincinnati would feel the same after a visit to Houston. Ever since Katrina, Houston has been going downhill fast.

We're not "scared" of crime, per say, I mean we are from Texas. Land of "taking the law into your own hands". But it would be nice to know that I'm not going to be putting my young child into a worse situation than we are trying to get away from. Bottom line, I don't want my kid growing up wondering what gang he is going to have to join to be "safe" in such a crazy environment. I'm only half kidding.

Again, thanks. If anyone has anything else to add, I'd love to hear it.

Old 04-13-2008, 12:10 PM

23 posts, read 109,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by INeedATylenol View Post
But it would be nice to know that I'm not going to be putting my young child into a worse situation than we are trying to get away from. Bottom line, I don't want my kid growing up wondering what gang he is going to have to join to be "safe" in such a crazy environment. I'm only half kidding.

Again, thanks. If anyone has anything else to add, I'd love to hear it.
Seriously, you do not have to worry about that. You seem quite intelligent, and while you'll still have your fears, understand that a lot of people who think Cincy is bad are glass half empty, grew up in Mayberry where everyone knew your name kind of town. At least that is my experience as a student at the University of Cincinnati. Five years ago, UC bordered the absolute worst neighborhood in UC, arguably the worst in Ohio. Even now, while it's still fairly bad, the improvement is drastic.

While I've been a student, bordering the worst neighborhood in Cincy, I've never had a problem. If I was in your situation, where I had the means to move to a suburb or a nice city neighborhood, I would let my kids play outside with no worries. While I have no kids yet, I have walked around Cincy several times with my knephew in a ''bad'' spot. No problems.

You'll love it here. Crime is not bad, assuming you raise your kids well. What I mean by that is just like everywhere else, that they know don't go past so and so, don't go towards strangers, etc. Basically, all the stuff you'd teach them where ever you lived.

Cincy is an amazing place. I came from another fairly large city, and I have no intentions on leaving. I look forward to raising a family here!

Good luck to you. My best advice, rent for 3-4 months in an area you're looking at so you know if it fits you. One of the best things here is that each neighborhood has its own attitiude, its own click. Amazing stuff.

Old 04-13-2008, 01:29 PM

17 posts, read 62,586 times
Thank you.

Old 04-14-2008, 09:59 AM

1,071 posts, read 4,453,149 times
i have never once seen in this decade houston top cincinnati in crime rate or murder rate. and houston is supposed to have more traffic; it's a larger, more sprawled metro. according to forbes, houstonians spend an avg of 60 hrs in traffic annually. cincinnatians spend 30. for a middle market, it sounds about right.

Old 04-14-2008, 03:04 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,903,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillside View Post
i have never once seen in this decade houston top cincinnati in crime rate or murder rate. and houston is supposed to have more traffic; it's a larger, more sprawled metro. according to forbes, houstonians spend an avg of 60 hrs in traffic annually. cincinnatians spend 30. for a middle market, it sounds about right.
I do know with the illegal population in Houston, and with Katrina, Houston has seen a large jump in crime these last few years.

Old 04-14-2008, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler87 View Post
I do know with the illegal population in Houston, and with Katrina, Houston has seen a large jump in crime these last few years.
very true. i don't doubt its gotten bad down there, i've heard a lot on cnn and them. i was just making a couple comments to be fair to houston.

Old 04-14-2008, 03:22 PM

Quote:
very true. i don't doubt its gotten bad down there, i've heard a lot on cnn and them. i was just making a couple comments to be fair to houston.
Oh no I understand, I just didn't know if you knew about the fast growing Katrina population in Houston.

Old 04-14-2008, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler87 View Post
Oh no I understand, I just didn't know if you knew about the fast growing Katrina population in Houston.
oh yeah, houston's got a real problem on their hands. you don't want new orleans level criminals taking over your city.

Old 04-14-2008, 03:41 PM

Quote:
oh yeah, houston's got a real problem on their hands. you don't want new orleans level criminals taking over your city.
I know, New Orleans is an amazing city, but I think this hurricane happened in the wrong place. New Orleans has had a crime problem for decades, and the hurricane was just the topping of it all. Now 1 in 25 people are homeless in this city, and things do not look to be getting better.

Cincinnati has its problems, but luckily not on the level that Houston just had thrown into the picture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati