Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 10:31 PM

8 posts, read 21,138 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking to buy a house. We are wanting to stay in the Cincinnati/(possibly) Northern Kentucky area. We're looking for a neighborhood that has diversity. Preferably somewhere with good school districts (we don't have any children as of yet, so I know very little about school districts) and also a decently low crime rate would be nice. I know crime happens all over, but some places are much worse than others. I'd just like to get some opinions on diverse, affordable areas that one might suggest raising a family in. Is there such a place? I'd really appreciate anyone who takes the time to read this and respond
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2009, 07:41 AM

560 posts, read 2,076,336 times
Could you post some more info? It would be really helpful to mention 1) where you'll work and how long you're willing to commute, 2) your price range, and 3) whether you prefer urban, rural, suburban, or don't care.

Also, could you elaborate a little on what kind of diversity you want? Diversity can mean a lot of things to a lot of people, which can lead to really unhelpful advice. (i.e. lots of people take it to mean varying percentages of black vs white, whereas others think about immigrant communities, or east asians, etc.)

Old 03-12-2009, 08:38 AM

I'm brand new to this site so I have no idea how or if it's even possible to edit a thread so I'm just gonna copy and paste with the suggested info. -My husband and I are looking to buy a house. We are hoping to stay in the Cincinnati/(possibly) Northern Kentucky area. We're looking for a neighborhood that has a decent amount of diversity. By diversity I mean a fairly equal percentage of black and white and other ethnicities. I know the numbers will vary from place to place, but I'd like them to be somewhat equal. Preferably somewhere with nice school districts (we don't have any children as of yet, so I know very little about school districts) and also a decently low crime rate would be nice. I know crime happens all over, but some places are much worse than others. I'd just like to get some opinions on diverse, affordable (in the $70-85,000 range) areas that one might suggest raising a family in. Is there such a place? My husband works in the downtown Cincinnati area, and we have family near the Blue Ash area. By next winter both my husband and I will probably be going to school on UC's main campus so we'd be looking for somewhere where we'd have 30 minutes or less commute time. I'd really appreciate anyone who takes the time to read this and respond

Old 03-12-2009, 09:50 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,470,411 times
Well, the sad truth is that Cincinnati is a very much segregated city. This is not reflected well in the statistics because neighborhoods may have a pretty good balance of black and white overall, but when you really get into the detail and look on a block by block basis, there just are not that many well integrated blocks. For example, my mixed race family members who live in Kennedy Heights will tell you that there are lots of blacks and whites in Kennedy Heights. True, but on Bantry where they live, I've never seen a white person other than myself and my sister in law. A couple of blocks away, you would be hard pressed to find a black person. So, is that well integrated?

I think you have to ask yourself why do you want an "equal number of blacks and whites?"

If you are looking for the absence of discrimination, come to Mt. Lookout. We don't discriminate here against anyone. But if you want obvious minority role models, and a substantial white population, then you have your work cut out for you.

Old 03-12-2009, 10:20 AM

You're right on the first part for sure :/ ..I think absence of discrimination is a pretty good way to sum it up-Mt. Lookout is actually one of the places I've been searching on sibcycline, so I'll definitely keep checking into it! Maybe drive around and get a better feel for the area. Thank you so much for the input!!!

Old 03-12-2009, 10:30 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,135,388 times
Hartwell, which is also close to Blue Ash--just a hop & skip to Cross County High way and close access to I-75 to take you downtown.

Old 03-12-2009, 10:45 AM

I have heard of Hartwell and I think I've been through parts of it..are there any certain parts of it that you might suggest over others? Thanks for the input!!!

Old 03-12-2009, 11:06 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,135,388 times
ABout the only street I would not recommend is the northern section of Anthony Wayne near the Lockland border. Other than that you have a wide range of homes to choose from (size and price ranges). The school district is CPS and Hartwell has a neighborhood school located on the corner of Vine & Galbraith with is currently under remodel and will be done in the fall of 2010. Also the recreation center across the street is being remodeled and will be done in about 2 months. We bought our home in 2001, it was a 2 family and is NOW a single family (which a lot of people are doing in the neighborhood right now). It has a lot of young families and I absolutely love living here.
If you check out my profile pics--there are quite a few pictures of the neighborhood on there.

Old 03-12-2009, 02:47 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,470,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckyfx View Post
You're right on the first part for sure :/ ..I think absence of discrimination is a pretty good way to sum it up-Mt. Lookout is actually one of the places I've been searching on sibcycline, so I'll definitely keep checking into it! Maybe drive around and get a better feel for the area. Thank you so much for the input!!!
When you look at Mt. Lookout, you also have to look at Hyde Park. Many people think of most of Mt. Lookout and Hyde PArk as interchangeable. Hyde Park is slightly more diverse and has a broader range of home prices. Oakley is nice, but its blue collar heritage makes it less attractive for those in a determined search for inclusiveness.

Best of luck!

Old 03-12-2009, 03:06 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,119,311 times
A few observations from my 3 years in Cincinnati:

1) Cincinnati is a very segregated city

2) You're only a stones-throw away from a rough part of town no matter where you live in Cincinnati proper.

3) Real-estate prices directly correlate with #1 and #2 above

I lived in Sycamore Township close to Deer Park. I never saw a one black person in my neighborhood the entire 3 years. Just a small distance away is a place called Silverton, and I don't recall seeing more than a handful of white people in that area during that time. In my opinion, i'm not sure that anyone who suggests Hyde Park and/or Mt. Lookout as an option totally has a grasp on what diversity really is. Those areas are among the most buttoned-up, starchy white, expensive areas Cincinnati has to offer.

The bottom line is....you'll just have to visit Cincinnati and get a true feel for what suits your fancy. It's a tough city to understand!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati