Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 03:12 PM

6 posts, read 47,810 times

Advertisements

I am looking for a place where I can rent a smaller power boat or maybe even a canoe for a few hours to take out onto the Ohio River, but all I have found is at the various city parks away from the river. I just moved here a couple months ago, so I am still very unfamiliar with the area, but I am having a visitor from out of town next weekend and this seems like it would be a great way to show them my new city. Does anybody know if this would be possible or have any recommendations?

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2009, 07:31 PM

1,597 posts, read 2,146,119 times
Interesting question. Most people have their own boats they take out on the river. Have you checked with one of the local marinas?

And though I'm not saying it doesn't exist, I kinda doubt you'll find a canoe livery along the Ohio. I'm not sure I would even take a canoe out onto the Ohio anyway with the barge traffic.

Old 04-04-2009, 07:51 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,462,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2121 View Post
I am looking for a place where I can rent a smaller power boat or maybe even a canoe for a few hours to take out onto the Ohio River, but all I have found is at the various city parks away from the river. I just moved here a couple months ago, so I am still very unfamiliar with the area, but I am having a visitor from out of town next weekend and this seems like it would be a great way to show them my new city. Does anybody know if this would be possible or have any recommendations?

Thanks in advance
With all due respect, bad idea.

I've spent years on the Ohio River and it is a highly dangerous place for any boater, much less one in a small, unfamiliar piece of equipment. Think of the Ohio as I-75 and an 18 foot runabout as a Mo-ped.

Queen City Riverboats and BB Riverboats will give you all you could want for a fraction of the cost of a boat rental.

Old 04-04-2009, 09:37 PM

455 posts, read 1,883,979 times
...or just sit on the patio/deck overlooking the river at the Beer Sellar and get plastered.

Old 10-01-2009, 04:14 PM

8 posts, read 96,411 times
Consider going canoeing on the Miami River. There were several good lievries there back in the day and it was a pleasant and at times exciing experience.
I second not going out on the Ohio as an inexperienced boater in a craft you don't know. I grew up and learned to swim and boat on the Ohio because we had a Camp near old Coney Island.
I saw plenty that would make me think twice about taking out an unfamiliar boat.
Regards,
Mary

Old 10-01-2009, 04:33 PM

6 posts, read 47,810 times
Thanks for the resonses. I did go canoeing on the Great Miami River and had a great time.

Old 08-07-2010, 08:30 AM

2 posts, read 33,646 times
Is there a boat club on the Ohio River were you can rent a power boat for a day? They have these in Florida on the ocean. You just pay a membership fee, and you don't have have to do any upkeep on the boat. Or, is there a place to just rent a boat without joining a club? I live in Cincinnati and wouldn't want to drive very far.

Old 08-07-2010, 08:50 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,462,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kay.hampel View Post
Is there a boat club on the Ohio River were you can rent a power boat for a day? They have these in Florida on the ocean. You just pay a membership fee, and you don't have have to do any upkeep on the boat. Or, is there a place to just rent a boat without joining a club? I live in Cincinnati and wouldn't want to drive very far.
Can I repeat my advice to the OP without seeming persistent?

With all due respect, bad idea.

I've spent years on the Ohio River and it is a highly dangerous place for any boater, much less one in a small, unfamiliar piece of equipment. Think of the Ohio as I-75 and an 18 foot runabout as a Mo-ped.

Queen City Riverboats and BB Riverboats will give you all you could want for a fraction of the cost of a boat rental.

The Ohio is much more challenging and dangerous than the Intercoastal (they won't rent you boats to go out in the ocean except for a few hundred yards off the east coast of Florida). You are contending with high traffic, currents, submerged obstacles and barges which every so often cut a path down the river and bury anything that might be stranded in their path. Just because you see drunken morons weaving around on the river all day does not mean that it is a reasonable thing to do. Take a ride on BB, enjoy the sights, feed the catfish at the dock and take it off your bucket list.

Old 08-07-2010, 09:36 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,790,065 times
I definitely second Wilson's advice. The Ohio can be a dangerous place, made even more so by some of the idiots out there who don't have a clue as to proper and safe operation. Also, the amount of underwater debris constantly coming down the river can cause some real damage.

Take a pleasant ride on one of the public craft on the Ohio or lookup Morgan Canoe Rental on the net and have a blast on either the Little Miami or Whitewater rivers. But understand even though in this weather they may look like oversized creeks, some very deep pools exist along their length, so stay alert.

Old 08-07-2010, 11:42 AM

2 posts, read 33,646 times
Thanks! We got all psyched up about getting a boat. Needed a reality check and the voice of reason. We are going to check out BB and Queen City right now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
View detailed profiles of: