Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 01:32 PM

5 posts, read 18,987 times

Advertisements

My new husband and my two, little daughters are moving to the Cincinnati area this Summer, (June-ish), from an hour North of Pittsburgh. I have never been there before and I am needing some input, please!!

My husband will be working in the Southeastern portion of Cincinnati and I will be home beginning to homeschool my daughters, (hence Kentucky as our location of choice, more homeschool friendly than Ohio, as far as State laws go).

I am looking for a good, safe community for walking with my daughters, day-to-day activities/groceries, etc... I have done what research I could online but am hoping for input. I am thinking that we may need to rent for a year or so until we get a better idea of what community we want to buy in, (I want to be close to parks, church community, smalltown feel even if it is more urban in reality)...

I have been looking online at Alexandria, Independence, Florence and the surrounding comminities...

I'm looking for
-safety
-not too urban as far as driving
-we like older homes/communities but realize that modern construction may be a better option for us right now...
-close to churches, groceries, Dr.s etc... (I don't want to have to drive 12 miles to get my daughter to the docs)

We will be spending four or five days there with the girls soon, was thinking of staying a day in Florence, one in Alexandria, one in Independence, maybe Covington, any advise??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2009, 09:15 PM

1,597 posts, read 2,146,119 times
Fort Thomas....east of Newport. It has great older homes, is pretty walkable, not too urban but still feels like you're in the city.

Independence and Alexandria, while very nice, are extremely suburban...almost country, and the majority of the homes are newer construction. Covington is iffy...some nice spots, but not what I would recommend.

Old 04-24-2009, 09:49 AM

1,248 posts, read 3,508,090 times
Fort Thomas, Highland Heights, Cold Springs, Alexandria. All in Kentucky, all decent neighborhoods. Fort Thomas has great schools.

Old 05-22-2009, 08:50 AM

5 posts, read 18,987 times
Thank you for your replies! we visited a couple of weeks ago and really liked it! Fort Thomas is wonderful, it is a lot like the town in Western Pa that I grew up in, actually like a lot of the towns here in Western Pa...but very convenient to the city. We also looked at homes in Oakbrook, I guess part of Florence(?). We drove around in Alexandria, Crestview Hills, Independence, and I don't know where else. The only place that seemed to have it's own community that I could find, (like a downtown, etc...) was Fort Thomas. Covington has some lovely homes but it's a bit too urban and rough for my tastes, esp since I love to walk with the girls and alone in the eve...

We are mainly looking in Fort Thomas and Oakbrook now, I am also keeping my eye on Alexandria... but are still open to suggestions and are planning another visit during the first week of June. We are looking in around the 200,000. range for a four bedroom with room for the girls to play, etc...

I am looking forward to getting to know Northern Ky and Cincinnati!

Old 05-22-2009, 02:58 PM

I still think Ft. Thomas would be your best bet, although Oakbrook (basically just a section of Florence) and Alexandria are good choices. I'd lean more to Alexandria in that case, but keep in mind it's about 10 miles from downtown. Whichever of those 3 areas you end up in, you'll be fine. You won't have any problems finding a house in your price range, either.

Old 05-22-2009, 03:03 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,797,555 times
GracieBelle, I'll be joining you in Northern Kentucky. I'm really looking forward to starting a new job in Kenton County, becoming re-acquainted with NKY (I've lived there previously but briefly) and discovering the plethora of things to do in Cincinnati.

I'm sure I'll be back on here for more questions for the Cincinnati forum, but for now I must say I'm really looking forward to the move.

Old 05-22-2009, 07:34 PM

8 posts, read 31,087 times
i from kenwood cincinnati a subarben area they are very rude over there but anyway move to easteren newport just dont move to covington its very dirty

Old 05-23-2009, 09:49 AM

4,888 posts, read 13,824,184 times
Fort Wright and Erlanger might be worth a drive through as well. Their business districts are strung along Dixie Highway rather than concentrated in a "downtown," but the residential sections are well-established and pleasant. Park Hills has some great streets, but maybe the houses have too much space for your needs at this time. I like the towns of Dayton and Ludlow too, but they're on the "downscale" side and don't have a lot in the way of stores within their boundaries.
If you're in town on the 7th, drop by the C-D party!

Old 05-29-2009, 09:50 AM

3 posts, read 4,850 times
Hey GracieBelle,
I moved to Covington in Aug. '07 and love this friendly neighborhood. I live in the Licking Riverside/Roebling Point area, right across the Roebling suspension bridge from Cincinnati. I walk and cycle everywhere, I can walk across the Roebling bridge to the ball park or Paul Brown in 15 minutes, downtown is right there. Cross the Liking River, watch the University of Cincinnati's rowing team practice on the Liking, and continue on a beautiful walk along the Ohio to the Levee, Newport, about 15 minutes. Devou Park, over 500 acres of trails and a breathtaking view of the city. (15 minutes).
There are lots of restaurants with out door dining, local stores, churches and a beautiful cathedral all a few blocks away.
Covington has some of the most beautiful homes I have ever seen any where in the country.
From a safety aspect, I have never had any bad experiences, just friendly hello's on my walks, like all urban neighborhoods there is some element of crime but with a little common sense you'll be fine.
I 71/75 is right there, you get to the Airport or anywhere in greater Cinci in 'fifteen minutes'.
When you are back in June give Covington another look, park near the river, take a walk, have some lunch/brunch and ask the locals what they think.
Where ever you decide to live, I think you are on the right track looking in Northern Kentucky and I hope you and your family enjoy your new home in KY. Welcome.

Old 05-29-2009, 02:33 PM

Covington would maybe be a viable option for certain things the OP is looking for, but she has stated (twice, in fact) that she doesn't want something quite that urban.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati