Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 09:26 PM

17,581 posts, read 13,355,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartwell Girl View Post
St. Bernard
Sorry bout that...I got happy fingers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2009, 09:28 PM

17,581 posts, read 13,355,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquila View Post
Uhh...no, think again. Aside from Norwood and St. Bernard, the following are all cities within Hamilton County:

• Blue Ash
  • Cheviot
  • Deer Park
  • Forest Park
  • Harrison
  • Loveland
  • Madeira
  • Montgomery
  • Mount Healthy
  • North College Hill
  • Reading
  • Sharonville
  • Silverton
  • Springdale
  • Village of Indian Hill (despite its name, it's technically a city)
  • Wyoming
I didn't realize that they were all cities. Egg on my face

Old 06-14-2009, 10:08 PM

1,597 posts, read 2,147,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
I didn't realize that they were all cities. Egg on my face
No big deal. I've never really understood why there was a need for so many smaller cities in a county that has a large city. Not just Hamilton County, but anywhere. Believe it or not, Cuyahoga has more cities than Hamilton County does. It's nuts. If we'd think more progressively like Louisville and Indianapolis, consolidating our city/county governments, we'd be two of the largest cities in America! We'd get more recognition, more funding, and it would probably make us operate a lot more efficiently. Less bickering among municipalities/more cooperation in getting things done. Stuff like that. But there's so much division and stiff attitudes about "losing identity" among the citizens, they'd never vote for it....so in the meantime, we keep stumbling and now face the possibility of actually decreasing in size when we should be growing. Losing Westwood would take the city down below 300K in population. Quite sad.

Old 06-14-2009, 10:19 PM

2,204 posts, read 6,718,326 times
It'll never happen.

1) The city also has to approve it.
2) Westwood can't afford it.
3) This is a group of people discussing this idea, not the entire neighborhood of WW.

Fyi: Buckhead is trying to separate from Atlanta as well.

Old 06-15-2009, 05:17 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,135,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy-Rise View Post
It'll never happen.
1) The city also has to approve it.
2) Westwood can't afford it.
3) This is a group of people discussing this idea, not the entire neighborhood of WW.
Fyi: Buckhead is trying to separate from Atlanta as well.
This isnt just a group of people discussing it, it is the neighborhood council, the westwood civic association. No one should dismiss something that a neighborhood council is trying to do.

As far as not affording it, why not? They will receive taxes and be able to apply for grants and funding just like every other village & township. Need fire & police, pay for the service or combine it like many townships & villages have done. I guess I just dont get it why you would think this is not possible.

Like I always tell my son "never say never"

Old 06-15-2009, 09:23 AM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquila View Post
I've never really understood why there was a need for so many smaller cities in a county that has a large city.
To keep the big city from swallowing them whole with the blessing and assistance of Ohio's annexation laws that favor municipal corporations over townships.

Old 06-15-2009, 09:57 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,475,197 times
All of these little fiefdoms are the reason that nothing can be accomplished on a regional basis.

Old 06-15-2009, 11:35 AM

1,014 posts, read 3,586,614 times
Do you think succession will fix the problems? Look at Lincoln Hts-it is it's own municipality and that place is a toilet.

Old 06-15-2009, 02:40 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,135,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otters21 View Post
Do you think succession will fix the problems? Look at Lincoln Hts-it is it's own municipality and that place is a toilet.
To answer your question, YES. Of all the townships mentioned by aquila in his post, you are using one problem neighborhood as an example.

Old 06-15-2009, 02:55 PM

1,597 posts, read 2,147,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
All of these little fiefdoms are the reason that nothing can be accomplished on a regional basis.
BINGO! Exactly my thoughts. Tried to rep you, but have to spread it around first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati