Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 12:34 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times

Advertisements

Hell, yeah, there's always a way around the law. And there are always people trying to fight city hall. More power to 'em. In this case, though, it would be a waaayyyy uphill battle.

I'm not so sure the state would be a neutral party, either. It's not in the state's interest for Cincinnati's population to drop markedly, as would happen if Westwood became its own city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 12:55 PM

682 posts, read 1,629,534 times
When I first floated this idea back on May 27th
Victorian Antiquities and Design: Westwood vs City of Cincinnati: A BOLD IDEA

I floated it as a way for Westwood to get the attention of a city Government that is not doing its job on property inspection, maintenance and zoning. Residents there are FED UP with the city.

There is ample legal precident for cities to de-annex themselves. It has been done. My thought was that an organized effort would so publically embarrass the current Mayor and Council, because the idea of a city requesting 'de-annexation" due to the failure of local governent to do their job is "National News", Good Morning America stuff, and that they might be "pressured enough" to address the legitamate concerns of Westwood residents. Can you imagine the embarrasment of Mallory on national news explaining why his city failed Westwood to the point they want to leave? It IS an Election Year and this is the perfect time for Westwood to make a point.

Consider Westwood has a pop of about 35,000. More than enough to support a city government. What would be the advantages? Well for one the city can establish its own zoning plan, they could stop the conversion of single family homes to multi family. They could get historic district status for large areas of Westwood. They could apply independently for State and Federal monies. Greater control of schools and say bye bye to the 'stigma' of being CPS. In fact, Westwood could become a most exclusive enclave with those types of changes ( Dare I say it more trendy and exclusive than Mt Lookout). More restrictive zoning will mean property values will rise (Tax base increases). Historic district protection would provide greater protection and with a good National Trust 'Main Street" program Westwood could become a village of art galleries, antique shoppes and high end stores. They already have some decent business and manufacturing within the city borders.

If you look at it that way, it looks like a good idea. PLUS Westwood determines how its share of state and Federal funding is spent NOT the city of Cincinnati.

So it looks like some people have decided to maybe give it a go. Good for them!

Old 06-16-2009, 01:16 PM

307 posts, read 543,824 times
Correct me if I'm wrong but even if they left the city CMHA is a county organization so this would not help them in fighting section 8.

Old 06-16-2009, 03:03 PM

1,597 posts, read 2,147,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by restorationconsultant View Post
When I first floated this idea back on May 27th
Victorian Antiquities and Design: Westwood vs City of Cincinnati: A BOLD IDEA

I floated it as a way for Westwood to get the attention of a city Government that is not doing its job on property inspection, maintenance and zoning. Residents there are FED UP with the city.

There is ample legal precident for cities to de-annex themselves. It has been done. My thought was that an organized effort would so publically embarrass the current Mayor and Council, because the idea of a city requesting 'de-annexation" due to the failure of local governent to do their job is "National News", Good Morning America stuff, and that they might be "pressured enough" to address the legitamate concerns of Westwood residents. Can you imagine the embarrasment of Mallory on national news explaining why his city failed Westwood to the point they want to leave? It IS an Election Year and this is the perfect time for Westwood to make a point.

Consider Westwood has a pop of about 35,000. More than enough to support a city government. What would be the advantages? Well for one the city can establish its own zoning plan, they could stop the conversion of single family homes to multi family. They could get historic district status for large areas of Westwood. They could apply independently for State and Federal monies. Greater control of schools and say bye bye to the 'stigma' of being CPS. In fact, Westwood could become a most exclusive enclave with those types of changes ( Dare I say it more trendy and exclusive than Mt Lookout). More restrictive zoning will mean property values will rise (Tax base increases). Historic district protection would provide greater protection and with a good National Trust 'Main Street" program Westwood could become a village of art galleries, antique shoppes and high end stores. They already have some decent business and manufacturing within the city borders.

If you look at it that way, it looks like a good idea. PLUS Westwood determines how its share of state and Federal funding is spent NOT the city of Cincinnati.

So it looks like some people have decided to maybe give it a go. Good for them!
The last thing Cincinnati needs is more negative exposure. The country already thinks of Cincinnati as a backwards joke as it is. Why feed that image?

Old 06-16-2009, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeytraveler View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but even if they left the city CMHA is a county organization so this would not help them in fighting section 8.
You are right about that BUT a City of Westwood could greatly curtail the conversion of single family houses into multi family units, with more local restrictive zoning that would prevent this. There is a 'disincentive' for slumlords to buy large homes and carve it them up into apartments and go the section 8 route if they have to get a zoning variance and go before a board, have to REALLY deal with Permits and inspections before they could even get to the point of getting the section 8 inspections. a city of Westwood could require a certificate of occupancy inspection before any unit could be rented. Section 8 or otherwise.

Proper enforcement of building codes it would mean "slumlords' would actually be forced to maintain their properties unlike the way it is now where Cincinnati city inspections is so overworked they can't begin to properly inspect the entire city. A City of Westwood could also require adaquate off street parking, landscape plan, lighting requirements etc for all buildings zoned for apartment use. Basically meaning those who want to "do it on the cheap' couldnt and would likely look elsewhere.

You don't stop section 8, but you just make sure there is proper zoning for apartments and that all permits are pulled and inspected before a cerificate of occupancy is granted by the city for a rental, THEN they have to go through the Section 8 certifications.

I would bet most slumlords and "investor types" would look elsewhere.

The city could offer better incentive for restoration of abandoned houses such as a 15 yr tax abatement, refund of permit fees. they could do all the things Cincinnati could do but wont.

Old 06-16-2009, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartwell Girl View Post
First question...I'm not.
You sure seem to be pushing the idea.

Quote:
It's not about benefiting the City....
So you don't care about Cincinnati as a whole? You just care about your neighborhood? If Cincinnati erodes even further, that's fine so long as Hartwell is taken care of?

Quote:
...it is about the communities within the City and how much longer some of them can continue to decline because many times the City has other priorities than addressing neighborhood issues.
Then run for city council.

Quote:
Second, Hartwell has used it as a threat to try to get things accomplished but has not started anything in motion. Its always an option for for any neighborhood.
My question was WHAT has kept Hartwell from seceding? Why didn't/doesn't it follow through with its threats? Surely there is a reason why it changed its mind. Or does it simply believe in making threats to get its own way?

Old 06-16-2009, 03:15 PM

"The last thing Cincinnati needs is more negative exposure. The country already thinks of Cincinnati as a backwards joke as it is. Why feed that image?"

Aquila, Cincinnati city government dug its own whole and created the negative image. And you have to admit most people in this city aren't forward thinking. Look how long it has taken for the OTR turnaround and the fight against the streetcar. We have a bad image because we deserve it. We builta subway and NEVER used it! Sorry to say that but it is true. Mallory needs to wake up , as does the Republican candidate and 'smell the coffee" people are fed up and expect the city government to actually do its job and stop the petty politics that have kept this city 20 yrs behind Indianapolis, and Louisville .

Personally I think Cincinnati has great Potential but not iif this city is run like it is. That's why I moved here, I see the Potential.

Old 06-16-2009, 03:20 PM

LMAO! I'm totally picturing all these Cincinnati neighborhoods seceding, until basically the city's population is - hmmmm....how many people live downtown? All that would entail Cincinnati would be downtown!

Hamilton would be the largest city in the metro region! Covington could look across the river and actually laugh at us (more than Kentuckians already do anyway), because it would be larger than any city in Hamilton County! The airport could legitimately be renamed to "Northern Kentucky International".

Okay, I'm done now.

Sorry to have caused so much friction with this thread. I just think it's amusing that at a time when Cincinnati needs to become stronger, people want to advocate ripping it apart more.

Last edited by aquila; 06-16-2009 at 03:31 PM..

Old 06-16-2009, 03:22 PM

62 posts, read 298,176 times
Quote:
You are right about that BUT a City of Westwood could greatly curtail the conversion of single family houses into multi family units, with more local restrictive zoning that would prevent this. There is a 'disincentive' for slumlords to buy large homes and carve it them up into apartments and go the section 8 route if they have to get a zoning variance and go before a board, have to REALLY deal with Permits and inspections before they could even get to the point of getting the section 8 inspections. a city of Westwood could require a certificate of occupancy inspection before any unit could be rented. Section 8 or otherwise.

Proper enforcement of building codes it would mean "slumlords' would actually be forced to maintain their properties unlike the way it is now where Cincinnati city inspections is so overworked they can't begin to properly inspect the entire city. A City of Westwood could also require adaquate off street parking, landscape plan, lighting requirements etc for all buildings zoned for apartment use. Basically meaning those who want to "do it on the cheap' couldnt and would likely look elsewhere.

You don't stop section 8, but you just make sure there is proper zoning for apartments and that all permits are pulled and inspected before a cerificate of occupancy is granted by the city for a rental, THEN they have to go through the Section 8 certifications.

I would bet most slumlords and "investor types" would look elsewhere.

The city could offer better incentive for restoration of abandoned houses such as a 15 yr tax abatement, refund of permit fees. they could do all the things Cincinnati could do but wont.
You are 100% correct. The real power in a city lies in the zoning dept -- not the mayor or city council. Heck, Dohoney has more power than King Mallory.

Old 06-16-2009, 03:25 PM

Quote:
"The last thing Cincinnati needs is more negative exposure. The country already thinks of Cincinnati as a backwards joke as it is. Why feed that image?"

Aquila, Cincinnati city government dug its own whole and created the negative image. And you have to admit most people in this city aren't forward thinking. Look how long it has taken for the OTR turnaround and the fight against the streetcar. We have a bad image because we deserve it. We builta subway and NEVER used it! Sorry to say that but it is true. Mallory needs to wake up , as does the Republican candidate and 'smell the coffee" people are fed up and expect the city government to actually do its job and stop the petty politics that have kept this city 20 yrs behind Indianapolis, and Louisville .

Personally I think Cincinnati has great Potential but not iif this city is run like it is. That's why I moved here, I see the Potential.
Believe it or not, I COMPLETELY agree with you. The city's image is its own fault. And yes, it DOES have potential. But in the nearly 44 years I've lived here, I've seen it consistently WASTE that potential - to the point where I finally gave up and I'm no longer impressed by anything it does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati