Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 01:47 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,541,581 times

Advertisements

Just wondering what everyone's favorite radio station is.

I absolutely love WGRR's "Married with Microphones" (morning drive)! Maybe I'm showing my age, but I really do prefer live humans to just computer-generated music. And, being a (fairly) new resident of the Tri-State, I've learned a lot about my new home via radio.

I'm also an avid WLW listener, albeit with a LARGE grain of salt at times.

My schedule puts me awake with ATN's America's Trucking Network (midnight to 5 a.m.) Although some of the regular callers can get a little conservative and idiotic for me at times, I still enjoy the trucking information and other news Steve and Bubba have.

Mike McConnell is probably my favorite. He's somewhat to the Right of where I am on some issues, but I find I agree with him about 95% on social issues. I like it that he doesn't dwell on politics as much as some of the other hosts.

Willy Cunningham sometimes makes me wanna hurl and sometimes I truly agree with him. I enjoy him a fair amount but, thankfully, I miss a lot of his show because it's bed time.

What's your favorites?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2009, 07:32 PM

295 posts, read 974,941 times
I love WGRR. I grew up in the 60s and that is my kind of music. I also like that trucking show with Steve Sommer and Bubba Bo. I don't get to listen to the Steve Sommer program since I work in a different area (same place, different area) but I still listen to them on breaks.

Old 09-26-2009, 08:39 PM

41,974 posts, read 75,239,807 times
Mine was 97X. We grew up together... sort of, figuratively. I literally sobbed the night in May 2004 when it went off the air, and rejoiced when it came back as an internet station.

Now that the station has moved to Texas, it's not special anymore. What made it great that it was a go-to-hell teeny little station in the middle of nowhere in the Midwest, daring to play alternative rock. Everyone in Austin plays alternative rock. Big deal.

Old 09-26-2009, 10:00 PM

17,597 posts, read 13,378,017 times
If we are talking "was"...It was WNOP, Radio Free Newport, great jazz and irreverent djs/hosts WNOP - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Today it is always either 55 or 700.

Old 09-27-2009, 01:36 PM

219 posts, read 894,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Mine was 97X. We grew up together... sort of, figuratively. I literally sobbed the night in May 2004 when it went off the air, and rejoiced when it came back as an internet station.

Now that the station has moved to Texas, it's not special anymore. What made it great that it was a go-to-hell teeny little station in the middle of nowhere in the Midwest, daring to play alternative rock. Everyone in Austin plays alternative rock. Big deal.
Amen. What a giant loss for Oxford and southwest Ohio. I heard so much new music on that station!

Old 09-27-2009, 01:39 PM

2,204 posts, read 6,721,993 times
700wlw is an embarrassment to Cincinnati. I was actually glad when the station went to XM radio, it at least gave me the sense that this was a nation-wide craving ... now that it was booted off XM, I'm kind of disappointed. At least I know in the back of my head that AM is still broadcast nation-wide and callers still call in from across the US. It doesn't help though that they all have southern accents and sound like they didn't make it past 7th grade.

Aside from my blabbering above, there isn't one aside from NPR. I'll stick to my MP3 player.

Old 09-27-2009, 10:09 PM

41,974 posts, read 75,239,807 times
Forgot to add that when I'm in town I listen to WNKU. And yea, WNOP was a great little station as well. Is WAIF still around?

WLW is good for one thing: keeping me awake when I'm drowsing on the road. The idiocy stirs me to alertness.

Old 09-28-2009, 05:54 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,541,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post

WLW is good for one thing: keeping me awake when I'm drowsing on the road. The idiocy stirs me to alertness.
Yeah, sometimes I listen to the whole ATN or McConnell show and enjoy it. Other times, I'm hitting another preset in minutes...

(I sure hope the rest of America doesn't think that ATN's callers are truly representative of all American truck drivers...)

Old 09-28-2009, 09:21 AM

2,204 posts, read 6,721,993 times
McConnell isn't too bad and I've called in to duke it out with Scott Sloan before as well. The problem is that when you do call in to debate, they get angry and hang up. If you sound like an idiot, they keep you on the line. Why do you think this is?

Old 09-28-2009, 12:08 PM

17,597 posts, read 13,378,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy-Rise View Post
700wlw is an embarrassment to Cincinnati. I was actually glad when the station went to XM radio, it at least gave me the sense that this was a nation-wide craving ... now that it was booted off XM, I'm kind of disappointed. At least I know in the back of my head that AM is still broadcast nation-wide and callers still call in from across the US. It doesn't help though that they all have southern accents and sound like they didn't make it past 7th grade.

Aside from my blabbering above, there isn't one aside from NPR. I'll stick to my MP3 player.

"Can't we all just get along?"..............Rodney King'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati