Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 11:24 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,980,188 times

Advertisements

In the nine years I've been back in Cincinnati, it looks like many parts of Northside have been on a steady upward trajectory. Plenty of nice old houses ripe for renovation, but not much I'd call architecturally signifcant, which was the original criterion on the thread. There are a few real beauties in College Hill, but they're scattered and finding one that's on the market could take a while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2010, 01:04 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,480,869 times
If you have to live in the house, the architecture of Myers Y. Cooper, who developed Hyde Park in 1910-1925 is the best there is. These houses were designed and built after the introduction of central heat and electric lighting and with the prosperity of the era. Nothing compares with them if you are going to live there. Of course, pre-central heat and electric houses will be found in East Walnut Hills with far superior architecture, but they are incredibly expensive to operate and maintain. the suggestions of Northside and Westwod are not helpful. And the suggestion that Hyde Park has "teardowns" and "mcmansions" above shows a person who has never been to Hyde Park since 98% of Hyde Park is exactly as it was built in the era. I live in a 1928 house at the border of Hyde PArk and Mt. Lookout on a lot that is 88' x 350'. I can guaranty that there is not a "teardown" within walking distance to my house. All of the homes are period authentic and many, like this one across the street have been lovingly and thoughly restored:

Last edited by Wilson513; 04-20-2010 at 01:38 PM.. Reason: Remove College Hill from "unhelpful"

Old 04-20-2010, 01:26 PM

350 posts, read 880,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
the suggestions of Northside, College Hill, and Westwod are not helpful.
I didn't recommend Westwood. I mistakenly offered Upper Northside...

Westwood is quite helpful since there seems to be a consensus throughout the region that there is high percentage of superior architecture found in Westwood.

I would like to see actual architect discuss the finer homes in College Hill.

^ That was an excellent post regarding Hyde Park.

Old 04-20-2010, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy Rider View Post
I didn't recommend Westwood. I mistakenly offered Upper Northside...

Westwood is quite helpful since there seems to be a consensus throughout the region that there is high percentage of superior architecture found in Westwood.

I would like to see actual architect discuss the finer homes in College Hill.

^ That was an excellent post regarding Hyde Park.
Removed College hill from the list. Westwood? I don't agree on Westwood. The area with superior architecture is now crime central. The bulk of Westwood housing is post war.

Here is typical Westwood abutting the famous Westwood Commons:

Old 04-20-2010, 01:53 PM

3,336 posts, read 6,944,235 times
Quote:
Westwood? I don't agree on Westwood. The area with superior architecture is now crime central.
That may well be true (is it? what does 'crime central' mean?) but I thought we could have a discussion about the architecture alone, leaving the crime comments to the multitude of other threads about the topic. It's funny, I have never in my life been to westwood. I have hardly been west of 75 in my two years in Cincinnati. (2003-2004 and 2006) If you have a nice historic street and there is even one teardown and mcmansion built to the edges of the lot, that spoils at least one block, in my opinion.

While I don't know that it should color our discussion, I would offer that I can't afford the expensive grand streets of hyde park like are posted above. What about Norwood just on the other side of 71? I remember that area as being nice. Again, Norwood is not part of Cincinnati, but maybe it is worth mentioning since it is fairly nearby. How about East End?

Old 04-20-2010, 02:04 PM

OK, Promac. You are sort of changing the rules on us. You want great architecture but you have to live there. And, you are on a budget. And, no tear downs (that eliminates all of the west side housing stock prior to 1945). Setback and 40x100. Can I assume the budget is $200k and under? Do you have to have schools? Want shopping nearby? Public transportation? Close to city center? We can find this for you, but we have to know the specs.

Old 04-20-2010, 02:46 PM

3,336 posts, read 6,944,235 times
Quote:
OK, Promac. You are sort of changing the rules on us. You want great architecture but you have to live there. And, you are on a budget. And, no tear downs (that eliminates all of the west side housing stock prior to 1945). Setback and 40x100. Can I assume the budget is $200k and under? Do you have to have schools? Want shopping nearby? Public transportation? Close to city center? We can find this for you, but we have to know the specs.
hahaha, okay okay you're absolutely right. this thread has already given me some of the info and tips i was looking for. i did say that price wasn't an issue, but I meant that more in terms of it doesn't matter if it is depreciating or in an area struggling with foreclosures. my price cap is $200k, i would prefer to spend $160k. I'll take any size lot that is wider than 40 feet and deeper than 75 feet. But i really didn't intend this as a find-me-the-perfect-place-to-live thread but instead as an opportunity to talk about what streets or neighborhoods have the best architecture.

But since you asked, here is our wish list:
- street or block with consistent pre-war architecture, preferably not tudor
- walking distance to a grocery
- walking distance to a park
- reasonably safe
- within 8 miles of downtown
- some type of yard, even if quite small

But again I feel like we've covered so much in this thread, I don't expect to get much further until we are in town and looking.

Old 04-20-2010, 03:12 PM

350 posts, read 880,614 times
Quote:
Removed College hill from the list. Westwood? I don't agree on Westwood. The area with superior architecture is now crime central. The bulk of Westwood housing is post war.
No, not the single family houses...are you trying to get off on a technicality? lol Sure the brick box apartments are post war.

Tear-downs? Where?

To the OP, see the Westwood architecture for yourself...visit the following streets:

Lischer
Epworth (between Montana & Werk)
Mountclair
Penrose
Temple
Vernon
Eggers
Boudinot (sections, I can recommend between Harrison and Urwiler)
Werk
Daytona
Ramona

AND THAT'S IN JUST ONE, VERY QUIET SECTION OF WESTWOOD

And not counting the priveledged streets off of Westwood-Northern in the Mt. Airy Forest border, the architecture found on Powell, Mignon, Graselli...

Some of the serious architecture is seen heading south on Harrison Ave but crime goes up the further you go down and the further east

$200K will get you a home with much beauty architecturally and a decent-sized yard in Westwood...are you kidding me?!

There are least a dozen nice pockets and coves throughout Westwood which is the largest Cincy neighborhood.

Last edited by Cincy Rider; 04-20-2010 at 03:27 PM..

Old 04-20-2010, 03:41 PM

682 posts, read 1,630,036 times
I agree Cincy-rider Westwood is really not what most people think it is. The groups in Westwood seem to be on the right track with requesting demo of the apartment buildings on and off Harrison, and keeping the single families. Also they have really stepped up to the challenge in their efforts to save the Gamble House, one of the most important houses in Cincinnati history.

The facts are that the slumlords are leaving and the section 8 is on its way out of Westwood and headed further out to the townships. The truth uis as the section 8 leaves,so does the crime. The foreclosure crisis and the changing housing market have been a blessing for Westwood as the slumlords walk away from the apartment buildings, other slumlords are not buying right now because the lending is not there. The city is coming in and demoing.

I've seen some really incredible architecture there and I know a lot of out of state transplants who have bought over there in just the last year and are restoring. The area is poised for a quick turnaround over the next 5 years.

Old 04-20-2010, 03:44 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,980,188 times
Okay, given the price range you're interested in and some of your other clarifications, I'd certainly second the recommendation to look at the listed streets in Westwood. Covedale is another area with some lovely smaller-home residential architecture. The walking distance to a park and grocery may be an impossibility. In all likelihood, Clifton, Hyde Park, Mt. Lookout, East Walnut Hills, etc. are going to be too pricy for you unless you're willing to take on something needing lots of renovation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati