Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Pittsburh vs Raleigh
Pittsburgh 35 66.04%
Raleigh 18 33.96%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 02:43 PM

10,261 posts, read 12,511,724 times

Advertisements

Which metro is better? Criteria:

Economy
quality of life
cost of living
transportation
urban living diversity
making friends
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2011, 11:11 PM

1,190 posts, read 2,253,339 times
Raleigh

Old 10-27-2011, 06:24 AM

606 posts, read 1,078,738 times
Pittsburgh was voted the Best City to Live in in the United States:
Pittsburgh is best place to live says Economist Intelligence Unit | Mail Online
World's Most Liveable Cities: 2011 Economist Intelligence Unit Report (PHOTOS) (4th Paragraph)
Pittsburgh ranked tops in U.S. by The Economist

Old 10-27-2011, 08:42 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,895,961 times
and now its the Must See City of 2012 according to NG

Best Trips 2012 -- National Geographic

Old 10-27-2011, 09:55 AM

606 posts, read 1,078,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
and now its the Must See City of 2012 according to NG

Best Trips 2012 -- National Geographic
Wow I guess Pittsburgh is definitely making a come back from its reputation as an old Rust Belt city. Good to see

Old 10-27-2011, 11:10 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,747,384 times
Economy - Pittsburgh

The unemployment rate in the Pittsburgh MSA has been below the national unemployment rate for almost five years now, and the unemployment rate in Pennsylvania is below the national rate as well. The Raleigh MSA has an unemployment rate higher than Pittsburgh's, and North Carolina's unemployment rate is in the double digits. Both cities appear to have similar economic foundations these days, but the difference in unemployment rates gives Pittsburgh an advantage.

Quality of life/cost of living - Push

Both cities have a reasonable cost of living, and variable climates that are neither too hot nor too cold. Raleigh is more prone to hurricanes, tornadoes and heat waves, but Pittsburgh is more prone to blizzards and floods, and is very cloudy and dim during the winter months. K-12 schools are better in Pittsburgh; infrastructure is in better shape in Raleigh. Housing prices are lower in Pittsburgh, but property taxes are lower in Raleigh.

Urban living - Pittsburgh

The built environment of each city couldn't be much different. Pittsburgh is very urban and centralized. Raleigh is more suburban and decentralized. Pittsburgh can get a bit tight with its narrow streets and dense real estate, but driving around Raleigh can get a bit tiresome, especially since Durham and Chapel Hill steal some of Raleigh's cultural, recreational and entertainment options.

Making friends - ?

Your own personality and social skills make more of a difference than where you live.

Old 10-27-2011, 11:44 AM

9,340 posts, read 13,007,749 times
Interesting comparison, especially since a lot of PGH expats now live in the Raleigh/Durham area. But since I've never actually been to North Carolina, I'll have to refrain from voting in the poll.

Old 10-27-2011, 04:37 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
Interesting comparison, especially since a lot of PGH expats now live in the Raleigh/Durham area. But since I've never actually been to North Carolina, I'll have to refrain from voting in the poll.
That's very true. There are tons of PGH's in Raleigh and surrounds.
Pittsburgh is a lovely city. I have been there many times and always enjoyed it. For me, its one big pit-fall (no pun intended) is that it's so isolated.

Regarding the unemployment, one has to consider that Raleigh has maintained both below state and national average unemployment levels despite rapidly growing through the recession. In the long run, Raleigh's economy is positioned really well.

Old 10-27-2011, 05:45 PM

4,100 posts, read 4,516,494 times
extremely unfair comparison

Old 10-27-2011, 06:23 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,895,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
That's very true. There are tons of PGH's in Raleigh and surrounds.
Pittsburgh is a lovely city. I have been there many times and always enjoyed it. For me, its one big pit-fall (no pun intended) is that it's so isolated.

Regarding the unemployment, one has to consider that Raleigh has maintained both below state and national average unemployment levels despite rapidly growing through the recession. In the long run, Raleigh's economy is positioned really well.
While Pittsburgh isnt located directly within a megaoplis....i would argue its far less isolated than Raleigh...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City