Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 08:47 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,019,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Density By Year
Cincinnati
1980: 4,935.5
1990: 4,715.5
2000: 4,247.2
2010: 3,807.0
2011: 3,799.4

Columbus
1980: 3,122.6
1990: 3,315.4
2000: 3,383.1
2010: 3,623.5
2011: 3,671.4

If we go by an average rate of change for the last 11 years, Columbus will pass Cincinnati's density this year, 2013. Cincinnati's would fall to 3,718 and Columbus' would rise to 3,723.8. Extrapolated to 2020, Cincinnati would be at 3,433.1 and Columbus would be at 3,907.2.

Indy, btw, would only reach 2,396.8 by 2020 if it densified at the average rate of the last 11 years.
Link??

Old 03-03-2013, 08:48 AM

1,766 posts, read 3,604,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
Dude i just proved it to you reread the previous page!
Omg you found a list. I'm sure I can't find any of those. Oh, wait:

1. Carmel (a suburb of Indianapolis) is the best place to live in the country. Boy, metro Indianapolis is way better than Cincy.
Carmel, IN - Best Places to Live - Money Magazine

2. Sorry, that wasn't enough love for the suburbs. Forgot that Fishers ranked 12th. What was the closest city to these two in Ohio? Answer: West Chester (Cincy area), which ranked 94th. Congratulations, you cracked the top 100.
Fishers, IN - Best Places to Live - Money Magazine

3. Oh yeah, we have the best downtown too.
Great Urban Weekend Escapes: Indianapolis - Forbes

Indianapolis, Ind. - America's Best Downtowns - Forbes

You can go ahead and post all of the stupid, baseless lists all you want. I just posted a few that would, if someone knew absolutely nothing about any of these cities, make Indianapolis look better than Cincy or Cbus in every way. "Omg, the best suburb to live in the country and one of the best downtowns too? Why would I live anywhere else?"

People don't all like the same things about places they visit or live. Maybe you think the hills and old buildings in Cincy are the best things in the world, but someone else may not. Maybe you think someone looking for a job would move to a city with the most Fortune 500's, but maybe they care more about the tech start up seen in which case Indy and Cbus are far ahead of Cincy. Or maybe, like me, there's a person that doesn't particularly love or hate any of the cities, but thinks that Indianapolis being a three hour drive from Chicago pushes it above the other two .

Personally, I don't love or hate any of these cities. They all have their individual qualities and rank better in certain areas than others making them a wash. I defend Indy on here because it gets attacked by people that know absolutely nothing about it and I'm sure that's why most of you Cincy and Cbus posters defend your cities too. I'm just sick of seeing all these posts where people are acting like Indy and Cbus are some kind of suburban hell where Cincy is the urban heaven of the Midwest.

Old 03-03-2013, 08:55 AM

3,678 posts, read 7,211,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wh15395 View Post

1. Carmel (a suburb of Indianapolis) is the best place to live in the country. Boy, metro Indianapolis is way better than Cincy.

2. Sorry, that wasn't enough love for the suburbs. Forgot that Fishers ranked 12th. What was the closest city to these two in Ohio? Answer: West Chester (Cincy area), which ranked 94th. Congratulations, you cracked the top 100.

You can go ahead and post all of the stupid, baseless lists all you want. I just posted a few that would, if someone knew absolutely nothing about any of these cities, make Indianapolis look better than Cincy or Cbus in every way. "Omg, the best suburb to live in the country and one of the best downtowns too? Why would I live anywhere else?"

People don't all like the same things about places they visit or live. Maybe you think the hills and old buildings in Cincy are the best things in the world, but someone else may not. Maybe you think someone looking for a job would move to a city with the most Fortune 500's, but maybe they care more about the tech start up seen in which case Indy and Cbus are far ahead of Cincy. Or maybe, like me, there's a person that doesn't particularly love or hate any of the cities, but thinks that Indianapolis being a three hour drive from Chicago pushes it above the other two .

Personally, I don't love or hate any of these cities. They all have their individual qualities and rank better in certain areas than others making them a wash. I defend Indy on here because it gets attacked by people that know absolutely nothing about it and I'm sure that's why most of you Cincy and Cbus posters defend your cities too. I'm just sick of seeing all these posts where people are acting like Indy and Cbus are some kind of suburban hell where Cincy is the urban heaven of the Midwest.
My post was referring to the strongest economies which in fact Cincinnati was 18th and Indy at 38.

Old 03-03-2013, 08:57 AM

Quote:

Cincinnati is definalty not a urban heaven, we have high crime that has been going down, bad school system and terrible traffic.

Old 03-03-2013, 09:04 AM

Quote:

That list of Americas best downtown was funny as hell, seeing Indy up their but not Boston, Atlanta, Miami, SF, Seattle, Denver, Minneapolis...not even a NYC!

Old 03-03-2013, 09:17 AM

1,766 posts, read 3,604,139 times
Quote:
That list of Americas best downtown was funny as hell, seeing Indy up their but not Boston, Atlanta, Miami, SF, Seattle, Denver, Minneapolis...not even a NYC!
That was my point. It's just the same as your list posting Indy at 38th and Cincy at 19th. They don't list their calculations or formulas or criteria and post stupid, baseless lists. I could probably find a list ranking any city #1 and something and dead last at the exact same thing. Almost all lists are stupid unless they come from the government in which case they may or may not be relevant. Chicago and New York were both just ranked in the top 20 most miserable cities list. Does that mean all of us that live in Cincy, Cbus, and Indy would rather be here than New York and Chicago? Sure, some people might prefer the smaller cities that we live in, but I'd guess that most of us on city-data would prefer living in the bigger city.

Old 03-03-2013, 09:45 AM

1,556 posts, read 1,909,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
I'm really not sure why it's relevant right now. It's not like it's been a regular thing, and it was over a decade ago. Why should events that long ago be part of present discussion?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Are people forgetting this?

2001 Cincinnati Race Riots - Over 100 whites assaulted. - YouTube

That was little more than 10 years ago. Cincinnati has a long ways to go in terms of race relations. The idea that something like this happened in the 21st century on this magnitude is appalling. I would not want to live anywhere where racial tensions are this high!
Quote:
Every other city has done it...
Normally I would agree that an event that occurred over a decade ago shouldn't be part of the discussion but Cincinnati is a completely different animal when you take into account its unique violent history. To say that Cincinnati is a racist city would be an understatement.

RIOT TIMELINE

*1788: Cincinnati founded.

*1792: Fifty people riot after a soldier beats a merchant.

*1829: Whites drive more than 1,000 African-Americans out of town.

*1836: A white mob destroys an abolitionist newspaper press, then marches on African-American homes.

*1841: Whites are met by gunfire when they attack Little Africa” African-American neighborhood. Whites retreat and fire a cannon on the black community.

* 1842: Panicked customers trash the Bank of Cincinnati after it closes.

*1848: Eleven people are killed when a white mob tries to lynch two jailed Mexican War veterans charged with assaulting a girl.

*1853: 800 German Catholics march on Bishop John Purcells house demanding that Cardinal Gaetano Bedini be expelled from the city.

*1855: Cincinnatis establishment and German residents clash over a rumor that Germans might try to prevent others from voting for the American Party, or Know-Nothing Party, mayoral candidate.

*1861: Irish and African-Americans riot for two days on citys east side.

*1862: Police and a volunteer militia unit restore order after week-long riots by Irish and African-Americans on the riverfront.

*1884: 56 people are killed and 300 wounded, and the Hamilton County Courthouse burned, in a weekend riot involving about 10,000 people.

*1935: A fight between a black and a white student at Oyler School ends with 16 arrests.

*1941: A crowd riots outside a West End store.

*1955: About 1,000 people gather when two African-American women fight on a West End street. Two days later, 500 gather when police help a disabled black woman.

*1967: More than 400 people are arrested in June riots in Avondale, which leave one dead and injured 63.

*1968: Two people die and 22O are injured in riots after the death of the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr.

*2001 Police shooting of 19 year of Timothy Thomas which sparked rioting.

Old 03-03-2013, 09:46 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,862,695 times
I can only pipe up here in terms of interest to visit! I'm going to go with Cinci.. I like the architecture and the downtown core seems pretty solid. It also has some good historical cred. Put this way I went a bit out of my way on a road trip to visit cincinatti, I bypassed both Columbus and Indianapolis. +1 to Columbus though for having a Tim Horton's (albeit the coffee wasn't that good at the location I went to).

Old 03-03-2013, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyadic View Post
Normally I would agree that an event that occurred over a decade ago shouldn't be part of the discussion but Cincinnati is a completely different animal when you take into account its unique violent history. To say that Cincinnati is a racist city would be an understatement.

RIOT TIMELINE

*1788: Cincinnati founded.

*1792: Fifty people riot after a soldier beats a merchant.

*1829: Whites drive more than 1,000 African-Americans out of town.

*1836: A white mob destroys an abolitionist newspaper press, then marches on African-American homes.

*1841: Whites are met by gunfire when they attack Little Africa” African-American neighborhood. Whites retreat and fire a cannon on the black community.

* 1842: Panicked customers trash the Bank of Cincinnati after it closes.

*1848: Eleven people are killed when a white mob tries to lynch two jailed Mexican War veterans charged with assaulting a girl.

*1853: 800 German Catholics march on Bishop John Purcells house demanding that Cardinal Gaetano Bedini be expelled from the city.

*1855: Cincinnatis establishment and German residents clash over a rumor that Germans might try to prevent others from voting for the American Party, or Know-Nothing Party, mayoral candidate.

*1861: Irish and African-Americans riot for two days on citys east side.

*1862: Police and a volunteer militia unit restore order after week-long riots by Irish and African-Americans on the riverfront.

*1884: 56 people are killed and 300 wounded, and the Hamilton County Courthouse burned, in a weekend riot involving about 10,000 people.

*1935: A fight between a black and a white student at Oyler School ends with 16 arrests.

*1941: A crowd riots outside a West End store.

*1955: About 1,000 people gather when two African-American women fight on a West End street. Two days later, 500 gather when police help a disabled black woman.

*1967: More than 400 people are arrested in June riots in Avondale, which leave one dead and injured 63.

*1968: Two people die and 22O are injured in riots after the death of the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr.

*2001 Police shooting of 19 year of Timothy Thomas which sparked rioting.
Really...Half of these are from more than 100 yrs ago. Every city has had race issues, NYC, Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland, Atlanta, Baltimore, Philly, St. Louis, Indy, Columbus

Old 03-03-2013, 10:21 AM

The Indy Klu KlUX klan was the most powerful klan in the country...look at Indys history, they seen tons of racial tension.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City