Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: San Diego vs Miami.
San Diego - Americas Finest City 142 60.94%
Miami - Gateway to the Americas 91 39.06%
Voters: 233. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 01:49 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,707,540 times

Advertisements

People are more laid back in SD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2010, 03:54 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,164,063 times
Miami's beaches are some of the best in the world and the clubs are amazing, that being said thats not what turns most people off to Miami, its the actual city of Miami which turns people off. Its like a third world country there. Worse than LA and on the same level as Santa Ana.

San Diego, by contrast is simply much more liveable. Even with an understaffed and over payed police force, and being with in a stones throw of tijuana,and attracting all the loser bums and homeless from back east, they manage to have one of the safest cities in the country. That is testament to how safe this city is. Pretty much all the cities I can think of in Nor Cal and back east would buckle at the knees given the same senario. Only cities like New York and San Jose even come close to comparing in terms of low violent crime rates. San Deigo is the type of city where you can actually raise native born american children, Miami not so much.

Old 07-21-2010, 05:07 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,010,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
Miami's beaches are some of the best in the world and the clubs are amazing, that being said thats not what turns most people off to Miami, its the actual city of Miami which turns people off. Its like a third world country there. Worse than LA and on the same level as Santa Ana.

San Diego, by contrast is simply much more liveable. Even with an understaffed and over payed police force, and being with in a stones throw of tijuana,and attracting all the loser bums and homeless from back east, they manage to have one of the safest cities in the country. That is testament to how safe this city is. Pretty much all the cities I can think of in Nor Cal and back east would buckle at the knees given the same senario. Only cities like New York and San Jose even come close to comparing in terms of low violent crime rates. San Deigo is the type of city where you can actually raise native born american children, Miami not so much.
I know PLENTY of native born american children. Not really sure what you mean by that anyway. If both my parents were born outside the US but I was born in the US am I not native born? Or does the whole family need to be "American" Also I am sick of thise Miami Third World. Anyone who compares Miami to third world obviously has never been to a third world country and knows NOTHING about developing nations.

Old 07-21-2010, 05:36 PM

Ive been to quite a few third world countries, infact most of the third world countries i have been to, have residents who emigrate almost exclusively to miami.

The best advise i can give you is to go to san diego and take it all in. Observe a city that rejects third world culture.

Sd and Miami= on different planets

Last edited by NorCal Dude; 07-21-2010 at 05:48 PM..

Old 07-21-2010, 05:45 PM

242 posts, read 315,710 times
I live in Miami and don't like it. Went to San Diego a few years ago and found it much more friendly, laid back and civilized + it actually had decent surf. Miami doesn't even compare to a city like San Diego, which has the same level of fun, but 1,000,000 times more opportunity to unwind and is a less stressful city, especially when it comes to driving.

Old 07-21-2010, 05:48 PM

242 posts, read 315,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
I know PLENTY of native born american children. Not really sure what you mean by that anyway. If both my parents were born outside the US but I was born in the US am I not native born? Or does the whole family need to be "American" Also I am sick of thise Miami Third World. Anyone who compares Miami to third world obviously has never been to a third world country and knows NOTHING about developing nations.
Miami people read too much into the "third world" thing: it's not meant to be taken literally, as if Miami compares to Mogadishu. Miami is very poorly governed though and does tend to do things ass-backwards. The level of lawlessness on the roads is like nothing else in the US.

Old 07-21-2010, 06:43 PM

The only thing I hated about SD was the arrogance among people living there, but it was mainly among transplants who had recently located to SD from somewhere else. Every native SDer I met was awesome, but all the transplants were idiots. All acting like I'm some weirdo for not moving to SD yet. Like during intros, I'd say "Hey, I'm from Minneapolis" and every single person would make some lame comment like "Oh, how do you like that" (with that condecending tone, like 'ha, he lives in Minnesota, he SOO doesn't even know how rad SD is".... This happened SO much I actually had to comment on it to people...like. ."what's wrong with Minnesota"... and I'd hear "Nothing if you like the artic"

Old 07-21-2010, 07:12 PM

Agreed the most arrogant people in SD tend to be the wealthy retirees and their families who moved there from the midwest and east coast.

My wife is from Carlsbad, saw A LOT of it there.

Most sd natives are regular ho hum working class folks and are not that bad

Old 07-21-2010, 08:02 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,188,171 times
Seriously, I'd rather deal with the fast/crazy/whatever Miami drivers, than some slow-poke doing 15 mph below the speed limit in the left lane. It seems like this happens everywhere though, people are either afraid to drive or just don't have common courtesy. For everyone that doesn't know, the left lane is for passing, get over to the right lane if you don't plan on going anywhere.

Old 07-21-2010, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clean_polo View Post
Seriously, I'd rather deal with the fast/crazy/whatever Miami drivers, than some slow-poke doing 15 mph below the speed limit in the left lane. It seems like this happens everywhere though, people are either afraid to drive or just don't have common courtesy. For everyone that doesn't know, the left lane is for passing, get over to the right lane if you don't plan on going anywhere.
I think that's the case everywhere.

My first few times in SD I had a hard time driving because I thought those Californian's were crazy... Now, after plenty of driving I realized that there are just idiot drivers everywhere, it's sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City