Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which has the worse slums/ghettos?
Baltimore(Bodymore) 93 30.29%
Detroit 214 69.71%
Voters: 307. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 03:03 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,323,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
Wow those videos remind a lot of what most of queens really look like.

Everyone, rethink Queens.
Well not most of it. (But I know you're joking lol)

I say Detroit, I'm not trying to rag on it or anything but I don't think B'More has abandoned skyscrapers.

However out of those 2 I've only been to Baltimore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2010, 03:08 PM
Led

145 posts, read 423,169 times
Detroit's infrastructure has the ability to hold 5x as many people that currently live in it now. Enough said. Detroit's definitely worse..

Old 08-08-2010, 03:50 PM

25 posts, read 56,253 times
I've never been to Detroit, but the thing you have to remember about Baltimore is that even though it has some very, very rough neighborhoods, it also has some nice areas. The Inner Harbor, Canton, Mount Washington and Federal Hill are all great vibrant urban neighborhoods that are relatively safe. In addition, Baltimore has some of the wealthiest suburbs of any major city in America. We're talking serious old money, similar to what you see on Philadelphia's main line towns.

Having said that, anyone who has taken the train from New York/Boston/Philly down into Baltimore or DC has seen some of the worst bmore has to offer, as the tracks wind through some absolutely awful neighborhoods that look almost third-world.

Old 08-08-2010, 07:04 PM

447 posts, read 1,563,960 times
Quote:
Yes, that was the posters purpose, which is why i didn't come in this thread with a positive attitude. The immaturity in the poster is quite obvious, simply look at the poll what she put next to Baltimore (bodymore). Its quite pathetic really. She comes into the Baltimore forum constantly trolling, so i don't take the thread too seriously, neither should anyone else.
First of all, she is a he, second of all I write 2 posts in the B-more forum and im a CONSTANT TROLL? I created this damn thread so I could get people's opinion on the subject not to get your retarded sarcastic comments.
Ignoring the problem does nothing to fix it, and the way youre talking, you make it seem like Baltimore is a nice place and this is a stereotype.

Old 08-08-2010, 07:07 PM

Quote:
I don't know about your info. "a few" renovated? "mostly tearing down"? Mmm...something tells me you don't know much about Baltimore in the least, and you know far less than you believe you do for sure! Luckily, demolishing rowhouses is not so common in Baltimore. Some here and there go when they become structurally unstable or there is next to nobody living on a block, then they will be demolished. But that does not happen as much as you think. You highly underestimate the numbers of renovations.

Detroit on the other hand went crazy with demolition and that turned out for the worse.
Whenever im chillin in East Baltimore I see more and more vacant units being torn down by the city. Especially in that area near JHU. I think they are doing a redevelopment project or something. I haven't seen to mant renovations at all. Except some in Canton,Fells Point,Locust Point,etc.
BTW Baltimore currently has 30,000(I think) vacant units right now. Most of the time they just leave abandoned properties in their place and let them rot.

Old 08-08-2010, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome Danny View Post
Was this thread created just to put down two cities for their stereotypical rep?

Because the existence of this thread in general really disturbs me on how negative some people can be when thinking of these cities. I have never been to Baltimore but I have been to Metro Detroit and city of Detroit, yes there are bad parts to the city, but in actuality there's many thing to like about Detroit.
Partially. But mostly cause I was a little bored. I never said there weren't good areas in Baltimore or Detroit. But Billiam here, seems to think that is the case. I go to b-more all the time,mostly to see family and friends, they all call it "Body-More, Murderland", which is understandable considering the neighborhood they live in.

Old 08-08-2010, 07:45 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,760,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycistheplace2 View Post
First of all, she is a he, second of all I write 2 posts in the B-more forum and im a CONSTANT TROLL? I created this damn thread so I could get people's opinion on the subject not to get your retarded sarcastic comments.
Ignoring the problem does nothing to fix it, and the way youre talking, you make it seem like Baltimore is a nice place and this is a stereotype.
Was that really your purpose. And what will you do with this information you gathered. Huh? You've never had anything nice to say in the Baltimore forums.

Ignoring the problem? that would be you, as you seem to chill there. I don't live in Baltimore but i DO volunteer for my community. If i lived in Baltimore I would be active, unlike you.

I make it seem that way do I? Sorry, i do go against the current of thousands of people like you who always make Baltimore out to be 3rd world. There are some VERY nice parts of Baltimore but people like you, and thousands out there, will never see past the bad parts, which do not comprise the majority of the city.

Quote:
Whenever im chillin in East Baltimore I see more and more vacant units being torn down by the city. Especially in that area near JHU. I think they are doing a redevelopment project or something. I haven't seen to mant renovations at all. Except some in Canton,Fells Point,Locust Point,etc.
BTW Baltimore currently has 30,000(I think) vacant units right now. Most of the time they just leave abandoned properties in their place and let them rot.
You are "chilin" around johns hopkins, DUH you're not going to see rehabs! Almost all of Patterson Park rowhouses are rehabs! Pigtown seems to get a lot. There are rehabs all over the city. Hopkins demolished 8 blocks of rowhouses as a part of a master plan, not the city just because they were rotting.

Quote:
Partially. But mostly cause I was a little bored. I never said there weren't good areas in Baltimore or Detroit. But Billiam here, seems to think that is the case. I go to b-more all the time,mostly to see family and friends, they all call it "Body-More, Murderland", which is understandable considering the neighborhood they live in.
Calling it Bodymore is dumb and immature. You don't have to put it on what you consider a serious poll.

Old 08-08-2010, 08:37 PM

28 posts, read 76,278 times
detroit

Old 08-08-2010, 08:48 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,401,167 times
Baltimore by far the thing about Detroit is that its architecture of housing is way better then Baltimore. then abandoned houses in Baltimore look like cardboard boxes.

Old 08-08-2010, 08:50 PM

2,785 posts, read 6,629,105 times
Detroit literally has urban farms. Detroit has entire neighborhoods that are abandoned. It is a very dreary feeling. You feel like you are in a third world country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City