Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which has the worse slums/ghettos?
Baltimore(Bodymore) 93 30.29%
Detroit 214 69.71%
Voters: 307. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 11:17 AM

857 posts, read 1,366,342 times

Advertisements

I've never been to Detroit, but i've been to Baltimore many times..and if detroit is worse than baltimore..god bless detroit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2011, 12:13 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,350,122 times
I voted for Detriot, based mostly on the fact I seem to read more about Detriot's issues, than Baltimore. Here's an interesting article TIME did not long ago on this topic:

Detroit's Road to Renewal - TIME

Old 08-17-2011, 12:22 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,855,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalcityguy View Post
I voted for Detriot, based mostly on the fact I seem to read more about Detriot's issues, than Baltimore. Here's an interesting article TIME did not long ago on this topic:

Detroit's Road to Renewal - TIME
That article is over 2 years old. Back in the prime time of beating Detroit down without much thought to offering the whole truth.

Old 08-17-2011, 02:53 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,350,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
That article is over 2 years old. Back in the prime time of beating Detroit down without much thought to offering the whole truth.
2 years, isnt that dated for an article on a topic like this IMO.

I guess I'm not sure what you mean by the "whole" truth. I've seen the shocking census numbers and how population has declined in Detroit proper, so from an outsider's prospective, it is not hard to believe things look really bad (not to mention, that photo's don't lie...i.e...per linked photo essay within the article). Additionally, I'm not sure who would profit from an organized movement to "beat Detroit down".

I hope Detroit is turning it around and I know I've heard/read some good things. I hate the thought of our great American cities declining.

Old 08-17-2011, 04:21 PM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,053 posts, read 4,394,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalcityguy View Post
2 years, isnt that dated for an article on a topic like this IMO.

I guess I'm not sure what you mean by the "whole" truth. I've seen the shocking census numbers and how population has declined in Detroit proper, so from an outsider's prospective, it is not hard to believe things look really bad (not to mention, that photo's don't lie...i.e...per linked photo essay within the article). Additionally, I'm not sure who would profit from an organized movement to "beat Detroit down".

I hope Detroit is turning it around and I know I've heard/read some good things. I hate the thought of our great American cities declining.
wow you sound like somebody that has never been here. maybe you should have kept your two cents. every area in Detroit does not look like photos pushed in the media

Old 08-17-2011, 04:30 PM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,053 posts, read 4,394,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Yuk View Post
Detroit...not even close. Baltimore has ghettos, but the entire city is not a ghetto like Detroit.
lmfao, boy I tell you. Try actually visiting before you talk ****

Old 08-17-2011, 05:35 PM

1,361 posts, read 3,714,718 times
Baltimore isn't as bad as a lot of people think. Is Baltimore a ghetto city? Yes. However, people also fail to realize that Baltimore has one of the strongest economies in the United States. Baltimore has definitely weathered the economic downturn better than most metro areas. Baltimore is always in the top of five, or even top three, best job market cities since the recession started in 2007-08.

Can't Find a Job? Best and Worst Job Markets | Indeed.com

Is Baltimore a dangerous city? Yes and no. Baltimore does boast some of the nation's highest crime and homicide rates. However, the vast majority of murders and crimes in Baltimore revolve around the illegal drug trade. Do innocent bystanders occasionally get caught up in the crossfire in Baltimore? Yes. But if you aren't slanging and banging, Baltimore is quite safe for the most part. Baltimore is much more intimidating than it is dangerous for regular law-abiding citizens not into using or selling hard drugs.

Ezra Klein - How dangerous is Baltimore?

Baltimore only has a murder rate of 9 per 100K for Whites. The murder rate for Blacks in B-More is considerably higher at 50 per 100K. However, unfortunately, the nationwide murder rate for Blacks stands at around 20 per 100K. The murder rate for Blacks is considerable higher in other cities like New Orleans at about 90 per 100K. Surprisingly to many, San Francisco's citywide murder rate for Blacks can be as high as a whopping 120 per 100K (I've illustrated in other posts on other threads how Blacks account for less than 10% of SF's population but make up 60% of the city's murder victims every year). Considering these stats, it is very possible to live a safe, peaceful life in Baltimore. After all, I live in Maryland and know many people who've lived in the city their whole lives in rough places like East Baltimore and never had an issue with crime.

http://www.eurweb.com/?p=7838

I think what makes Baltimore so scary is the fact that Baltimore is very blighted in many, many areas and the city is mostly very intensely segregated. Also, the underground economy of hard drugs in Baltimore is a big part of life in many of the city's more ghetto areas. Driving through seemingly endless blocks of boarded up row-homes with people loitering all hours of the day and night staring into your car leaves a bad taste in a lot of people's mouths.

Last edited by goldenchild08; 08-17-2011 at 05:46 PM..

Old 08-17-2011, 05:40 PM

14,021 posts, read 15,022,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenchild08 View Post
Baltimore isn't as bad as a lot of people think. Is Baltimore a ghetto city? Yes. However, people also fail to realize that Baltimore has one of the strongest economies in the United States. Baltimore has definitely weathered the economic downturn better than most metro areas. Baltimore is always in the top of five, or even top three, best job market cities since the recession started in 2007-08.

Can't Find a Job? Best and Worst Job Markets | Indeed.com

Is Baltimore a dangerous city? Yes and no. Baltimore does boast some of the nation's highest crime and homicide rates. However, the vast majority of murders and crimes in Baltimore revolve around the illegal drug trade. Do innocent bystanders occasionally get caught up in the crossfire in Baltimore? Yes. But If you aren't slanging and banging, Baltimore is quite safe.

Ezra Klein - How dangerous is Baltimore?

Baltimore only has a murder rate of 9 per 100K for Whites. The murder rate for Blacks in B-More is considerably higher at 50 per 100K. However, unfortunately, the nationwide murder rate for Blacks stands at around 20 per 100K. The murder rate for Blacks is considerable higher in other cities like New Orleans at about 90 per 100K. Surprisingly to many, San Francisco's citywide murder rate for Blacks can be as high as a whopping 120 per 100K (I've illustrated in other posts on other threads how Blacks account for less than 10% of SF's population but make up 60% of the city's murder victims every year). Considering these stats, it is very possible to live a safe, peaceful life in Baltimore. After all, I live in Maryland and know many people who've lived in the city their whole lives in rough places like East Baltimore and never had an issue with crime.

Study: Black Homicide Rate Stands Nearly Seven Times that for Whites | EURweb

I think what makes Baltimore so scary is the fact that Baltimore is very blighted in many, many areas and the city is mostly segregated. Also, the underground economy of hard drugs in Baltimore is a big part of life in many of the city's more ghetto areas. Driving through seemingly endless blocks of boarded homes with people loitering all hours of the day and night staring in your car leaves a bad taste in a lot of people's mouths.
Which is why Blacks are less than 10% of San Frans population

Old 08-18-2011, 12:21 AM

10,109 posts, read 9,971,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeman804 View Post
Whaaa? Never really noticed that. I want to have fortified windows on my car when I drive through some parts on Baltimore.
If you dont drive a crown victoria, nobody in Baltimore would want your car.

Old 08-18-2011, 09:50 AM

2,595 posts, read 4,658,144 times
Default boredatwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Which is why Blacks are less than 10% of San Frans population

exactly...its like SF saying this how we feel so be it...its not affecting everyone else...compared to NO even though the black on black murder rate isnt as high as SF it has larger areas that are more dangerous and extremely dangerous neighborhoods within dangerous areas...that affect more ppl
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City