Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which has the worse slums/ghettos?
Baltimore(Bodymore) 93 30.29%
Detroit 214 69.71%
Voters: 307. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2016, 10:56 PM

6,726 posts, read 6,724,376 times

Advertisements

Among the top 50 US cities, these two have the slowest population growth rates.

Baltimore is the nastiest city I've ever been in, makes Newark, NJ look revitalized.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2016, 11:34 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,886,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethnicappalachian View Post
Hi.

From Baltimore here. I finally got to see Detroit last month just to cruise around. I didn't wander around the slummy areas but I think I can see it from the highways. I drove around downtown (Greektown, etc.). I think its downtown is very similar to Baltimore's, size-wise. Detroit seem to like a lot of "lights" (blue?) on its buildings. I stayed in Dearborn. I got to explore it and Hamtramck too. Some good bakeries and Polish eats there. But back to Detroit. I think it was OK. I was told that Detroit is "coming back". I'm not sure in what way exactly? I did see some new developments near Belle Isle Park and it's waterfront properties. It's probably condos or apartments. I got to explore Belle Isle Park and it was nice. I'm curious if the "wealth" of Detroit is near Belle Isle Park? I see those houses are so huge and the streets look empty but clean. Are those mansions occupied? It's hard to tell because they didn't look slummy at all. Was I wandering around in Detroit's wealthiest neighborhood? I think I like Detroit, it just feels bigger than Baltimore but also feels rougher too. Baltimore feels small but the people here move a bit slower (it's the south!).
There are a few nicer areas over there by the riverfront. But you wasn't in Detroit's wealthiest neighborhood. Most of Detroit's wealthy areas are on the westside.

Quote:
It seems like most people from Baltimore think that it's a small city. Personally, Baltimore doesn't feel small at all, but when asking someone from here which city they think is bigger between, let's say, Baltimore and Richmond, I'm certain that most people will say Richmond. I'm still baffled by people here thinking that Ferguson, MO was bigger than Baltimore.
Lmao bruh, are you freaking serious? I don't know anybody (out this way) who thinks of Richmond as a big city like Baltimore. And most people have never even heard of Ferguson before the riots, Baltimore is well known. And Baltimore is a pretty dense city... I don't see how it could even feel small. It's crazy how little people know about their own city smh.

Old 12-21-2016, 12:41 AM

10,106 posts, read 9,963,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS313 View Post
There are a few nicer areas over there by the riverfront. But you wasn't in Detroit's wealthiest neighborhood. Most of Detroit's wealthy areas are on the westside.

Lmao bruh, are you freaking serious? I don't know anybody (out this way) who thinks of Richmond as a big city like Baltimore. And most people have never even heard of Ferguson before the riots, Baltimore is well known. And Baltimore is a pretty dense city... I don't see how it could even feel small. It's crazy how little people know about their own city smh.
I'm dead serious. I was having a conversation about it around the time of the riots in Baltimore, and we started talking about Ferguson. All 3 of these fools said that they thought Ferguson was a larger city than Baltimore. I had to tell them that Baltimore is twice the size of the city that Ferguson is a suburb of. They had no idea. Then I literally had to run down the list of cities that Baltimore is larger than in land area and population.

Old 12-21-2016, 12:43 AM

10,106 posts, read 9,963,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
Among the top 50 US cities, these two have the slowest population growth rates.

Baltimore is the nastiest city I've ever been in, makes Newark, NJ look revitalized.
Your former location gives you away.

Old 12-21-2016, 01:02 PM

4,527 posts, read 5,098,565 times
No offense to Detroit, because I love the City and am cheering its comeback, but no major city in the country even comes close to Detroit in terms of blight and decay... But note, I'm ONLY voting for on these bases ... To make a value judgement on people, I refuse to do, which would be downright silly. People are people no matter where there from.

Old 12-21-2016, 01:48 PM

1,223 posts, read 2,266,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeman804 View Post
Whaaa? Never really noticed that. I want to have fortified windows on my car when I drive through some parts on Baltimore.
Baltimore is making significant strides improving the city. I vividly remember the visit I was referring to during the statement above. I visited again this summer and while there are still very terrible neighborhoods, it seems to have more balance since there are much more jobs and good areas now.

Old 12-21-2016, 06:02 PM

1,310 posts, read 1,510,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeman804 View Post
Baltimore is making significant strides improving the city. I vividly remember the visit I was referring to during the statement above. I visited again this summer and while there are still very terrible neighborhoods, it seems to have more balance since there are much more jobs and good areas now.
Thanks Deeman804. God knows it is a long way back for Baltimore and it is going to take a long time. Baltimore has made some good strides over the past 10 years. Despite what the Census says, the city will have some measurable population growth during this decade - my guess is 20K. But modest growth in some parts of the city won't make a dent in some big parts of the city - especially the western half of West Baltimore and many areas built in the 20's through the 50's that are only starting to deteriorate.

Visitors to Baltimore in 2025 will still be able to find something to hate if that is their predisposition. People with an open mind will find more to like.

Old 12-21-2016, 06:58 PM

23,460 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycistheplace2 View Post
Yup
proud of it too!
But this aint about Queens.
I love it when people try to pigeonhole Queens. My son in law grew up in the Queens neighborhood of Douglaston.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/02/08/re...feel.html?_r=0

Old 12-21-2016, 07:14 PM

14,679 posts, read 14,641,413 times
These two cities aren't very comparable as one is dense and the other far more spread out. It's like comparing Boston to Dallas.

Old 12-21-2016, 08:44 PM

1,636 posts, read 2,142,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
These two cities aren't very comparable as one is dense and the other far more spread out. It's like comparing Boston to Dallas.
Not really. Boston's density is 13,841 people per square mile and Dallas' density is 3,645. A difference of 10,000 people per square mile.

Baltimore's density is 7,671 people per square mile and Detroit's density is 5,142 people per square mile. A difference of 2,500 people per square mile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City