Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which has the worse slums/ghettos?
Baltimore(Bodymore) 93 30.29%
Detroit 214 69.71%
Voters: 307. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 06:04 PM

406 posts, read 768,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtnc1985 View Post
I've never been to Detroit, and I see that Detroit won the poll, but I'm sorry there's no way Baltimore doesn't have sadder, more blighted, downright scarier areas than maybe any city in the country. It's the affect of the vacant and decaying row houses. It gives it a feel of such a ghost town in certain neighborhoods, and those neighborhoods are all over. Especially in the West side from the looks of it. And again, there's more people compacted into a small area. So many of these people being drug dealers and drug fiends makes it more dangerous.
and neither has 99% of C-D but still choose to judge smh

Please people this thread is so stupid. Arguing over which is worse off? seriously? get a life
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2013, 08:42 PM

6,725 posts, read 6,724,376 times
Detroit looks like the left bank of Paris compared to Baltimore. Now I admit there is some artistic expression to be found in the chalk outlines you see on Baltimore's sidewalks, but the city has permanently lost any economic advantage. It simply can't compete with other rest stops, especially some of those Jersey Turnpike spots between exit 4 and exit 8 that stay open late. Trust me, the Molly Pitcher is far more welcoming at 11pm than anyplace in Harm City.

Old 04-05-2013, 10:55 PM

1,076 posts, read 1,395,507 times
From the images I've seen of both cities, Baltimore looks more urban than Detroit.

Old 04-06-2013, 08:01 AM

2,545 posts, read 3,297,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
Detroit looks like the left bank of Paris compared to Baltimore. Now I admit there is some artistic expression to be found in the chalk outlines you see on Baltimore's sidewalks, but the city has permanently lost any economic advantage. It simply can't compete with other rest stops, especially some of those Jersey Turnpike spots between exit 4 and exit 8 that stay open late. Trust me, the Molly Pitcher is far more welcoming at 11pm than anyplace in Harm City.
Baltimore may have worse ghettos than Detroit - or not, I don't really care - but, unlike Detroit, Baltimore also has a healthy number of gentrified neighborhoods, featuring some of the most beautiful and well-preserved historic architecture anywhere in the country. As someone who lives in Washington I am sure you know this.

Old 04-06-2013, 10:34 AM

10,106 posts, read 9,963,986 times
Baltimore is also growing again after 60 years of decline.

Old 04-06-2013, 11:12 AM

725 posts, read 1,211,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Baltimore is also growing again after 60 years of decline.
As well as Philly. In 10 years these two cities will explode!!! (Again) These two are the neglected cities in the us (Detroit #1) and found there way back into the competition, more so b more. Philly never let the competition but it slowed bad. B more stopped, but is moving again and will regain its spot.

Excuse my iPhone please.

Old 04-06-2013, 12:14 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,849,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
Baltimore may have worse ghettos than Detroit - or not, I don't really care - but, unlike Detroit, Baltimore also has a healthy number of gentrified neighborhoods, featuring some of the most beautiful and well-preserved historic architecture anywhere in the country. As someone who lives in Washington I am sure you know this.
You might want to look at Detroit before making such a ridiculous statement. As someone who doesn't even like Detroit, I know there are some rather well-off neighborhoods as well as some great suburbs.

Old 04-06-2013, 12:18 PM

1,196 posts, read 2,529,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
You might want to look at Detroit before making such a ridiculous statement. As someone who doesn't even like Detroit, I know there are some rather well-off neighborhoods as well as some great suburbs.
Baltimore is in much better shape than Detroit.

Old 04-06-2013, 01:02 PM

2,545 posts, read 3,297,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Okay so why don't you educate me about Detroit. What is Detroit's answer to neighborhoods like Federal Hill, Mount Vernon, Bolton Hill, Harbor East, Fell's Point, Charles Village, etc?

Does Detroit have dense urban neighborhoods that look anything like this?
Baltimore, MD - Google Maps

or this:

or this:

or this:

If so, please show them to me and I won't make such ridiculous statements again.

PS. Pls no need for pictures of downtown or suburban style bedroom communities; I want to see beautiful, gentrified urban neighborhoods in the city of Detroit. Thanks.

Last edited by Fitzrovian; 04-06-2013 at 01:31 PM..

Old 04-06-2013, 04:01 PM

2,330 posts, read 4,401,069 times
Your opinion holds no accountability due to either you being from SE DC which has a four decade loong history on hating on Baltimore or you being from some undesirable region from south of the Potomac River that also has a looong history of being extremely Hateful towards the state of Maryland especially Baltimore........

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City