Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which has the worse slums/ghettos?
Baltimore(Bodymore) 93 30.29%
Detroit 214 69.71%
Voters: 307. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2016, 05:39 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,963,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Sur, but it helps stabilize some neighborhoods from which the city can grow out of and contributes to the city's tax base so it has resources to improve the city as a whole.

Probably the largest benefit from being that close to the growing DC area isn't so much direct employment as it is the indirect employment through being the larger area's main port which generates a lot of money and jobs for Baltimore both directly and down the supply chain. It also gives Baltimore residents more flight destinations from the nearby airport which a metro of its size generally does not get.
Denver, Charlotte and Minneapolis, and Baltimore all have a large number of flight destinations. I'm finding it difficult to see how DC is the sole reason for that when they have 2 airports of their own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2016, 09:23 PM

1,636 posts, read 2,142,461 times
Quote:
Slums seem bad in both (that's part of the definition of being a slum--they're bad everywhere), but Detroit has a lot more vacancies and blocks that are pretty much just cleared of people.

Maybe this is for another topic, but it's a bit more interesting to me to think about how both are recovering than to concentrate on just the slums. For Detroit, it looks like a more comprehensive top down approach that comes with a local billionaire benefactor and his company whereas Baltimore seems to have less direction, but is greatly helped by the growth the larger regional growth especially as it serves as the region's primary port as well as having a major and prominent research university located within the city.

So what are some interesting / promising developments happening in both cities right now?
As for Detroit, I can honestly say without exaggerating, the city is vastly improving by the month. It is improving at a pace that even local community leaders didn't anticipate. Detroit is now completely lit up by LED lights, the largest city in the USA to do so. The rail line travelling from downtown to midtown will begin operation this summer. Roads in midtown and downtown have been repaved. Restaurants, clubs, stores, etc are coming to downtown and midtown. The new hockey arena is being built and retail/housing is being built all around it. 50 blocks are being redeveloped there and the area will be called District Detroit.
Welcome to the Official Site of The District Detroit

In addition, a sky-scrapper is about to break ground downtown, and developments along the river has been built in Rivertown. They just announced more developments in Rivertown. Also, more developments are being built in Brush Park which is the area across from District Detroit. The development is called City Modern. Welcome to the Official Site of The District Detroit

Downtown Detroit, Midtown, Rivertown, Corktown are all contiguous. If you are familiar with DC, from downtown to Midtown is basically the equivalence of from Independence Ave up to Columbia Heights 3.3 miles.

Old 12-31-2016, 10:17 AM

1,310 posts, read 1,510,792 times
Quote:
The other poster was right--you basically did the math wrong that's all.

Bad losses for both cities with it being worse for Detroit.
When you actually do the math correctly Detroit loses 63.4% and Baltimore loses 34.5% of their 1950 populations. One always needs to remember that household size has declined dramatically everywhere since 1950. That means that cities that have lost only 20% of there population have added households and lots of new housing. Cities that have lost 30% of their population have less households than in 1950 and have had more limited housing production and significant abandonment. Population losses of more than 30% since 1950 mean real trouble!

Old 12-31-2016, 10:41 AM

1,310 posts, read 1,510,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Republic of Michigan View Post
As for Detroit, I can honestly say without exaggerating, the city is vastly improving by the month. It is improving at a pace that even local community leaders didn't anticipate. Detroit is now completely lit up by LED lights, the largest city in the USA to do so. The rail line travelling from downtown to midtown will begin operation this summer. Roads in midtown and downtown have been repaved. Restaurants, clubs, stores, etc are coming to downtown and midtown. The new hockey arena is being built and retail/housing is being built all around it. 50 blocks are being redeveloped there and the area will be called District Detroit.
Welcome to the Official Site of The District Detroit

In addition, a sky-scrapper is about to break ground downtown, and developments along the river has been built in Rivertown. They just announced more developments in Rivertown. Also, more developments are being built in Brush Park which is the area across from District Detroit. The development is called City Modern. Welcome to the Official Site of The District Detroit

Downtown Detroit, Midtown, Rivertown, Corktown are all contiguous. If you are familiar with DC, from downtown to Midtown is basically the equivalence of from Independence Ave up to Columbia Heights 3.3 miles.
Nobody gives Baltimore a break because the seven harbor-side neighborhoods, Charles Street Corridor, Hampden, Roland Park, etc. are doing well. Someone visiting Baltimore could go to Harlem Park, Middle East, etc. (if they dare) and discover that those areas are pretty much urban dystopias. As I have said before, if you compare the worst parts of Baltimore to the best parts of Detroit, Detroit wins every time!!!

Just curious, I added it up and it looks like new housing production in Baltimore will be between 2,100 - 2,600 units per year for 2016 and the rest of the decade - unless we get a significant recession. Any idea about housing production in Detroit?

Old 12-31-2016, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwduvall View Post
Nobody gives Baltimore a break because the seven harbor-side neighborhoods, Charles Street Corridor, Hampden, Roland Park, etc. are doing well. Someone visiting Baltimore could go to Harlem Park, Middle East, etc. (if they dare) and discover that those areas are pretty much urban dystopias. As I have said before, if you compare the worst parts of Baltimore to the best parts of Detroit, Detroit wins every time!!!

Just curious, I added it up and it looks like new housing production in Baltimore will be between 2,100 - 2,600 units per year for 2016 and the rest of the decade - unless we get a significant recession. Any idea about housing production in Detroit?
Yes. Nobody in Metro Detroit would attempt to sugarcoat the horrible neighborhoods and blight which exist throughout the city. To simply pretend they don't exist is not wise. And Detroit's problems are at the end of the day, America's problems.

That being said, there still remains 5.3 million people in the region (and not counting Canada) So I guess you have to start from somewhere, and for Detroit, that is Downtown and Midtown. Metropolitan Detroit used to exist as a donut - a huge sprawling area without a robust downtown for decades. I think the buzz here now is that a vibrant strong core is being developed as we speak. So this is kind of new, and I think people are concentrating on this fact. I think that the level of disinvestment over the last few decades has caused a surprise reaction at the level of new investments and changes in Detroit. The city's downtown and Midtown is so vastly different than it was a few years back. Now, I can literally say downtown Detroit is beautiful, something I would laugh at hearing ten years ago.

As far as development production in Detroit, I believe that from January to June of 2016, there were 700 new units. I am unsure of the total number. I know that City Modern is supposed to alone have 500 units. But in 2017, two new residential towers are going to be built. One will be 20 floors and the other 16 floors besides all the other developments. 2017 will see a big boom in development.
Here are some development news if urban planning and development interest you:
http://detroit.curbed.com/detroit-development

Also here is a list of 61 new developments in Detroit during 2016.
A quick look at Detroit's 2016 development projects | MLive.com

Regarding Baltimore, I am certain that the city will rise again and improve. It is located in an important corridor. Washington DC can be an anchor and an asset for the city in terms of housing. Johns Hopkins is located there and the Harbor is amazing. One key ingredient is for civic leaders (political, educational, business, and community activists) to sit down and have a vision. No city can be blight free or crime free, but a strong core is the first step in making a city livable. Baltimore's downtown is not bad. There is the harbor, there are condos, there is a mall, restaurants, hotels, etc. Baltimore needs to rebuild its neighborhoods. Detroit, it seems, has taken a slight different approach. It is concentrating on its downtown and midtown, and building outwards. But in terms of blight and slums, Detroit, Camden, and East St. Louis are the worse. At least in Detroit, however, there is a proactive effort to clear them and rebuild.

Old 01-01-2017, 12:28 PM

142 posts, read 193,689 times
Quote:
Yes. Nobody in Metro Detroit would attempt to sugarcoat the horrible neighborhoods and blight which exist throughout the city. To simply pretend they don't exist is not wise. And Detroit's problems are at the end of the day, America's problems.

That being said, there still remains 5.3 million people in the region (and not counting Canada) So I guess you have to start from somewhere, and for Detroit, that is Downtown and Midtown. Metropolitan Detroit used to exist as a donut - a huge sprawling area without a robust downtown for decades. I think the buzz here now is that a vibrant strong core is being developed as we speak. So this is kind of new, and I think people are concentrating on this fact. I think that the level of disinvestment over the last few decades has caused a surprise reaction at the level of new investments and changes in Detroit. The city's downtown and Midtown is so vastly different than it was a few years back. Now, I can literally say downtown Detroit is beautiful, something I would laugh at hearing ten years ago.

As far as development production in Detroit, I believe that from January to June of 2016, there were 700 new units. I am unsure of the total number. I know that City Modern is supposed to alone have 500 units. But in 2017, two new residential towers are going to be built. One will be 20 floors and the other 16 floors besides all the other developments. 2017 will see a big boom in development.
Here are some development news if urban planning and development interest you:
http://detroit.curbed.com/detroit-development

Also here is a list of 61 new developments in Detroit during 2016.
A quick look at Detroit's 2016 development projects | MLive.com

Regarding Baltimore, I am certain that the city will rise again and improve. It is located in an important corridor. Washington DC can be an anchor and an asset for the city in terms of housing. Johns Hopkins is located there and the Harbor is amazing. One key ingredient is for civic leaders (political, educational, business, and community activists) to sit down and have a vision. No city can be blight free or crime free, but a strong core is the first step in making a city livable. Baltimore's downtown is not bad. There is the harbor, there are condos, there is a mall, restaurants, hotels, etc. Baltimore needs to rebuild its neighborhoods. Detroit, it seems, has taken a slight different approach. It is concentrating on its downtown and midtown, and building outwards. But in terms of blight and slums, Detroit, Camden, and East St. Louis are the worse. At least in Detroit, however, there is a proactive effort to clear them and rebuild.
Doesn't sound like you've been to Baltimore from what I just read. I was raised there and I actually live just outside of Detroit now and I can tell you both cities are on the same level in terms of crime and blight. Baltimore's murder rate was higher in both '15 and '16, and if you think the hoods don't look just as bad down there I suggest you pull up Google maps and do some exploring. Broadway East, Sandtown-Winchester, Park Heights, all look just as rough as Brightmoor, East 6/7 mile and Southwest Detroit. Just like Detroit though, thankfully the city of Baltimore and John's Hopkins is making an effort to get rid of those abandoned blocks. Check out Perlman Place and Madeira St. You can still see what they used to look like before they got knocked down. Love my city of Baltimore but I won't hide the fact that it's easily one of the most dangerous places as well as Detroit, St. Louis New Orleans and some of the smaller cities you mentioned. Have also never had any situations yet in Downtown Detroit but have always ran into trouble downtown back home, right by the inner harbor. The only thing I will say is at least Baltimore has a lot of safer big cities not too far away like DC, Philly, and NY ain't super far. It's really just Detroit up here and Chicago is 4 hours away.

Old 01-01-2017, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronG1221 View Post
Doesn't sound like you've been to Baltimore from what I just read. I was raised there and I actually live just outside of Detroit now and I can tell you both cities are on the same level in terms of crime and blight. Baltimore's murder rate was higher in both '15 and '16, and if you think the hoods don't look just as bad down there I suggest you pull up Google maps and do some exploring. Broadway East, Sandtown-Winchester, Park Heights, all look just as rough as Brightmoor, East 6/7 mile and Southwest Detroit. Just like Detroit though, thankfully the city of Baltimore and John's Hopkins is making an effort to get rid of those abandoned blocks. Check out Perlman Place and Madeira St. You can still see what they used to look like before they got knocked down. Love my city of Baltimore but I won't hide the fact that it's easily one of the most dangerous places as well as Detroit, St. Louis New Orleans and some of the smaller cities you mentioned. Have also never had any situations yet in Downtown Detroit but have always ran into trouble downtown back home, right by the inner harbor. The only thing I will say is at least Baltimore has a lot of safer big cities not too far away like DC, Philly, and NY ain't super far. It's really just Detroit up here and Chicago is 4 hours away.
I actually go to Baltimore every other month. I am quite familiar with it. However, I think that Baltimore is still in better condition as a whole.

With regard to cities around Detroit, you completely forgot Toronto (3.45hrs) which is the closest major city to Detroit. It is pretty big and safe. But, there is also Buffalo, Columbus, and Cleveland which are not to be forgotten completely. Also, Cincinnati and Indianapolis are around a 4 hour drive, and Grand Rapids is growing. You also forgot a great city called Pittsburgh which is close to both. So, Detroit is close to quite a number of large metropolitan areas. (Toronto, Chicago, Cleveland, Buffalo, Columbus, Indianapolis, Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, and Grand Rapids) Never felt isolated here. (Even London, Ontario can be fun) Yes, I know, none of them are NYC or DC - but Chicago and Toronto still hold their weight.

Old 01-01-2017, 05:16 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,963,986 times
Quote:
I actually go to Baltimore every other month. I am quite familiar with it. However, I think that Baltimore is still in better condition as a whole.

With regard to cities around Detroit, you completely forgot Toronto (3.45hrs) which is the closest major city to Detroit. It is pretty big and safe. But, there is also Buffalo, Columbus, and Cleveland which are not to be forgotten completely. Also, Cincinnati and Indianapolis are around a 4 hour drive, and Grand Rapids is growing. You also forgot a great city called Pittsburgh which is close to both. So, Detroit is close to quite a number of large metropolitan areas. (Toronto, Chicago, Cleveland, Buffalo, Columbus, Indianapolis, Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, and Grand Rapids) Never felt isolated here. (Even London, Ontario can be fun) Yes, I know, none of them are NYC or DC - but Chicago and Toronto still hold their weight.
Detroit doesn't seem isolated. It's not Denver or Salt Lake City by any stretch of the imagination.

Old 01-04-2017, 05:02 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:

Yea, I wouldn't say Detroit is particularly isolated. Baltimore seems to have more major cities closer by. That same four hour limit nets you Richmond, Hampton Roads/Tidewater, Pittsburgh, DC, Philadelphia and NYC.

Amtrak's slated to complete work on much improved track on the Wolverine train service by late 2017 by which time Detroit's light rail service should be up and running from the Amtrak station to downtown through Midtown. That'll be interesting! I wonder if there's anything slated for good through-service from Detroit proper to Toronto.

Old 01-04-2017, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Yea, I wouldn't say Detroit is particularly isolated. Baltimore seems to have more major cities closer by. That same four hour limit nets you Richmond, Hampton Roads/Tidewater, Pittsburgh, DC, Philadelphia and NYC.

Amtrak's slated to complete work on much improved track on the Wolverine train service by late 2017 by which time Detroit's light rail service should be up and running from the Amtrak station to downtown through Midtown. That'll be interesting! I wonder if there's anything slated for good through-service from Detroit proper to Toronto.
I actually think Detroit has more major cities closer by than Baltimore:

Four hour limit outside Baltimore nets you 1)Richmond, 2)Hampton Roads/Tidewater, 3)Pittsburgh, 4)DC, 5)Philadelphia and 6)NYC.

Four hour limit outside Detroit nets you 1)Chicago, 2)Toronto, 3)Buffalo, 4)Cleveland, 5)Columbus, 6)Indianapolis, 7)Cincinnati, 8)Grand Rapids. Add 22 minutes more, and you also net 9)Pittsburgh.

Plus, if you want to count some midsize cities Kalamazoo (330,000), Flint (400,000), Fort Wayne (400,000), Lansing (500,000), London Ontario (500,000), and Toledo (600,000).

I don't think there will ever be anything slated between Detroit proper to Toronto. You will have to connect on the Light Rail to go downtown to the border, than take the bus across the border, then get off at the Windsor train station. They are building a new bridge - I know it would be too much for planners to think about adding a rail line on it...sigh....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City